iPhone/iPad app for Scanners—need ideas

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

iPhone/iPad app for Scanners—need ideas

Postby emspace » Fri May 17, 2013 6:55 am

I’m learning to create iOS apps, and I need a test project idea. I’d like to create something that would be helpful to Scanners but also not outrageously complicated to create. Even something that could start small but grow more complicated later is great.

My first idea was a Big List app, that let people list out everything they think they want to do, allow the option to give it a potential timeframe (e.g. 6 years, next quarter), ability to rate the H-Level of the activity, ability to create a 5-min or 15-min (whatever) timer on the activity, ability to keep track of when you took some steps towards that interest in a calendar, answers to Barbara’s questions “what would it take to get what you wanted out of this interest?”

This is just an idea. Possibly, I can’t do as much as this in the first go-around.

Can anyone think of other ideas? Better ones? Simpler ones? One main criteria is that it must be useful and used with some regularity, not necessarily daily, but perhaps a few times a month at least.

Thanks for help with brainstorming!
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: iPhone/iPad app for Scanners—need ideas

Postby SquarePeg » Fri May 17, 2013 10:57 am

I'd love to track library books.

Here are the functions:
A) Daily monitoring of library website account(s) to obtain:
1. List of Overdue Books.
2. List of books due within X days
3. On-hold Items available for pickup

B) Use camera to read barcode when returning books to maintain a record of the date, time and location a book was returned.

C) Work with a search engine to read selected text in an e-mail or on a web page and search the library for title or author.

Here's the motivation.... We've returned books and then been informed later that they're still checked out and overdue. We'll later find the item on the shelf at the library -- someone shelved it without checking it in. And, since we often visit two or more libraries each month, we'll return items to library "B" that we checked out at library "A." Library "B" doesn't check in books for library "A" -- it'll just send them back to library "A" for them to check in. It can take a couple of weeks for these "limbo" books to get checked in, after which overdue fines are excused.

When you're dealing with a few dozen books and four libraries, it gets very confusing.

Good luck!

PS, I''ve borrowed and started to read the AppInventor book for Android. Anyone can make an app today. Great graphics and sound seem to be the limitation for me, not coding skills.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby emspace » Mon May 20, 2013 9:43 am

Squarepeg, have you checked out Library Books? It's $2.99. I haven't tried it but it sounds like what you're after. Probably doesn't include all the features you listed, but I'm not yet capable of something connecting with other online databases. :?

Eventually, I have a reading app idea for making notes on books read and interconnecting the ideas. But that's an ambitious project and first involves creating a social website first. That's a long-lister.

For my first out of the gate project, I want to work on something relatively simple in terms of interactivity and number of screens, but at least a bit useful to people.

I can see how your idea would be very useful, though!
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon May 20, 2013 11:56 am

Thanks, emspace!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Avrum » Mon May 20, 2013 2:56 pm

emspace wrote: that would be helpful to Scanners...

The question is: What problems do Scanners have? Can an iPhone app solve that problem? I'm sure Scanners would be more than happy to share some of that information.

IMHO - many apps miss the mark because they offer solutions to problems that don't exist (or exist for the developer).
Family & Relationship Therapist
http://www.nadigel.com
Avrum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby emspace » Tue May 21, 2013 11:37 am

Avrum wrote:
emspace wrote: that would be helpful to Scanners...

The question is: What problems do Scanners have? Can an iPhone app solve that problem? I'm sure Scanners would be more than happy to share some of that information.

IMHO - many apps miss the mark because they offer solutions to problems that don't exist (or exist for the developer).

Agreed, Avrum. Thus the reason for starting this thread! I want to hear some ideas!

Some of the problems I came up with were:
• too many interests; how to pick something to start
• no direction
• not enough fun or enjoyment out of the things you do
• what’s my “thing”? the theme that gets me excited about all these different things?
• how to feel as though I’m getting somewhere with a project
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Avrum » Tue May 21, 2013 3:10 pm

emspace wrote:I want to hear some ideas!

What about an app that walks you through some of Barbara's questions, and provides you with an identifier i.e. You're this type of scanner, now consider the following...

I'm not a huge fan of personality assessment questionnaires, but people seem to like this approach.
Avrum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby emspace » Wed May 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Avrum,

That’s not a bad suggestion, but I would definitely have to get Barbara and her publisher’s permissions! I don’t think it would be okay to just take her material and turn it into an app without her input and approval.

I’m hoping for something less ambitious, and more generalised. For example, inputing daily wins (great idea, but my company is already working on this app, to be released in a few weeks).

I know there are already a gazillion apps that track projects or goals and make lists. I guess I’m hoping there’s a specific need for Scanners that isn’t being covered by these general solutions. For example, these apps assume that you intend to finish your project or check off your lists. As a Scanner, I know that’s not how we think or work. On the rare occasion we get to check something done, it’s usually a long way off from the starting point, and checking one item on a long and ever-growing list never feels anything like satisfying. Non-Scanners, as I understand them, usually make lists and check many things off every day, and it gives them great satisfaction to do so. Most apps are created with those people in mind.

As a Scanner, I can make lists and start projects, but I hardly ever get to cross things off “done” so these apps only serve to make me feel like an underachiever with a serious follow-through problem.

You see what I’m getting at? I know there’s some other way to help Scanner’s keep track of their many many many projects and interests without making them feel bad about themselves for the apparent lack of progress.

I just want to hear from other Scanners what would help them, more than simple list making.
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mango » Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 am

Just a few thoughts...

An app for helping to make a reverse flow chart (as in Wishcraft)?
An app that shows you where you are in each project (relative to the end goal)?
An app to help keep your 'avocation stations' organized?

I don't use a lot of apps (I find them overwhelming), so these ideas may be way off the mark.

It's been awhile since I read the book, and I plan a trip to the bookstore, so if I think of anything after I re-read it, I will let you know.
Good luck! I enjoy your posts.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Thu May 23, 2013 4:39 am

PS: I like Avrum's idea a lot. :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Avrum » Thu May 23, 2013 7:08 am

Wish: To create a software program, or analog notebook, based on the Wishcraft model --> from discovering your values/interests to forming your success team.

God I'd love to see that.
Avrum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby emspace » Mon May 27, 2013 4:08 pm

mango wrote:An app for helping to make a reverse flow chart (as in Wishcraft)?
An app that shows you where you are in each project (relative to the end goal)?
An app to help keep your 'avocation stations' organized?

(I’m one of the few Barbara Sher fans who haven’t read Wishcraft it seems.)

These are pretty good ideas, Mango. I’m going to think some more about how these could be done.

I don’t have any avocation stations, and because I’m not an organized person by nature, I have to ask: in what way do you keep it organized and how would an app be able to help?
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mango » Mon May 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Hi emspace,

You can read it online for free at http://www.wishcraft.com. :D

From what I remember, avocation stations are set up so that you do one activity at each station, and move from project to project whenever you wish. When I said 'keeping avocation stations organized,' I guess I was thinking of keeping each one stocked with supplies. Nothing worse for your creative process than sitting down to do something and then remembering that you ran out of something and forgot to get more.

Or maybe I meant remembering where you left off the last time and where you meant to begin when you started the activity again. Kind of like how writers intentionally write the next sentence of the new paragraph so that they don't forget what they were thinking of writing next.

I can't really remember what I was thinking.

:oops:

Wishing you luck!

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners