what happened next?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

what happened next?

Postby souljacker » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:08 am

Hi there,

I've always known I was different, and it has been a source of distress and frustration to me. I'm relieved that there is nothing wrong with me, and that I can finally stop trying to fix myself. (Barbara, thank you, you'll never know what an amazing thing you've done for me.) I'm looking forward to embracing my scanner nature, and to spending time here.

My first question for you all (wait, not my first, my first is now 'do all scanners love questions?') is 'what happened after you decided not to choose and be who you are? Did you achieve more? Did your world open up? Are you happier?' (ok, first questions!)

Ro
souljacker
New User
New User

Re: what happened next?

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:20 am

There were two effects.

First, I no longer blamed / punished myself for not following through with a project before taking up another. Second, I simply understood myself better. So overall, I experienced less self-imposed stress.

More specifically, the idea of the Scanner Daybook helped mitigate distraction. It was enough to merely jot down some notes for an idea rather than pursue it. So I'm able to stay on track a bit longer.

Here's a question for you: Do you plan to answer your own question? ;)
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby emspace » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:48 am

I love questions. I especially love worksheets and forms!

I am happier. Generally. There still doesn't seem to be enough time for me to take advantage of all the opportunities that come my way. And I don't have enough energy to maintain a high level of Go for long stretches.

But I'm finding it easier to talk up my Scannerness with non-Sherites by focusing on the reasons for why I love to learn so many different things -- all at once!

And slowly, I'm feeling better about not finishing things. Just a little more every day.
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby souljacker » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:04 am

Hi guys, thanks for your replies!

Squarepeg: It's early days, but I've already started a daybook (an art degree already taught me the value of these types of books, so I found this idea very exciting!) and a blog, to help me stay organised. I've listed the projects that interest me at the moment and I graded them 1,2 and 3. 1 being 'in progress', 2. 'able to start' and 3. 'maybe later'. As far as I can see, the key to this is going to be scheduling, goals, deadlines and organisation, things I am typically bad at. :-( I've started to take a different view of my projects; previously, I felt guilty because I considered these pursuits a waste of time, so I didn't really bother to project manage, and then I felt guilty for not finishing. Now, I'm going to put real effort in and not feel guilty. It's very liberating to know that by doing something for a little while I don't have to be trapped forever.

After doing a bit more reading of Barbara, I would seem to have a fair element of Sybil about me, which I like. Some things, like learning languages, pop up repeatedly, and sometimes they take different forms. Writing of some kind usually seems to be on the agenda somewhere, and, although I haven't done any serious photography since I finished uni, project ideas often happen.

I'm going to make sure my (tiny) workroom is organised by the start of 2014 and then it'll be full steam ahead.

Ro

P.S. emspace, what about mind maps? I always kind of wrote them off until a course I did required them, and now I can't get enough!
souljacker
New User
New User

Postby emspace » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:04 pm

souljacker wrote:P.S. emspace, what about mind maps? I always kind of wrote them off until a course I did required them, and now I can't get enough!

Sometimes. But I’m short on follow-through so while I like to do them whenever I get stuck with how to proceed, once I get started, I tend to ignore them after. Same with lists and to-dos and calendars. I like filling things out by way of getting it all out there. But I don’t generally use those things to follow up later.

I had my workplace buy a copy of Personal Brain (now called TheBrain) so I could document all the bits and pieces of miscellaneous knowledge that comprise my job. It’s a pretty nifty piece of mind mapping software (although I really dislike the UI design) when I’m using it. Most of the time, I forget to use it. I know there are so many things I could do with it that I can’t be bothered with.

How do you use mind mapping? What do you map?
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Midaila » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:05 pm

First thing eh? I think I cried a little.

A huge load fell off my chest. All my live I've been struggling with wanting to go to a dozen direction without really feeling like I could commit to any of them for real. Even more than usually it became clear every time I tried to apply to a degree - anything for physics to translation studies to cooking. In the end I didn't even take entrance exams on many of them, and now I'm very happy I didn't get chosen.

Seriously speaking, a lot of things changed, even if not yet in the world but inside my mind. I'm semi-organized with my goals and such, but I'll be only getting full wind on my sails when I really, really list out the things I want to do. That's gonna be someday soon I hope.

Nice to finally see some life on this part of the forums. I'm looking forward to be able to chatter with my fellow Scanners!
Midaila
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners