Hello Hello, is anyone out there?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: Hello Hello, is anyone out there?

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:47 pm

Sorry to read about your negative experience. I think the message board software will allow a user to block another user. I haven't used the feature here, but I'm guessing the "Add Foe" link on a user's profile page will block that user's posts. It's something to try if you consider coming back.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby spark » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:30 pm

I read the board on a regular basis but haven't found much of a reason to post as it had become nothing more than political debate and "to do" lists. I've never seen anyone "cut off at the knees." I've seen people who don't agree, but everyone has been respectful. (Yes, I do know about the posts you mean) Lack of posts have more to do with people not participating anymore on the forum and not with any hostility. Participating in a public forum means you take criticism as well as praise. I don't know why people stopped posting their daily conversations, but do wish the board was more involved in pursuing dreams and Barbara's work.
spark
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:28 pm

I can't understand being afraid of posting under an alias. There are very few users here who use their (presumably) real names. Elaine and Barbara are the only two I can think of. On other sites, I've ignored users whose previous posts have been abusive. I haven't done that here.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby ljp » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:13 pm

I've been wanting to post here on the board for weeks and weeks but just put it off because of numerous reasons. This thread provides me the chance to toss in my two cents.

I LOVE Refuse to Choose. I too, like tailormum (and others) was a member years and years back. There were a few negative interactions I had, not intentionally, so I just faded away.

Fast forward to last year, when I picked up Refuse to Choose again, after entering what I describe as a sort of mid-life crisis. I have been rereading it and wanted to connect with others like me again, so I came back here.

Unfortunately, my first post here felt a little weird to me. I appreciated the feedback I got, but apparently I didn't comment or thank everyone correctly who took the time to respond to me and then I felt weird again. I just want to connect and talk and share ideas and try to move forward, NOT worry about whether I acknowledge every singe comment, etc.

I want dearly to connect with others and get some ideas, direction...something. But I'm told that I'm supposed to pay to join a club in order to do this. I'm just not ready to do that. I see others aren't either.

Scannie, I'd love to join your FB group IF there is actual, helpful discussion. Scannie, I'll send you a PM here. Just sent request on FB to join the group.

I guess where I am is that I don't want to talk about whether I'm a scanner or not. I'm sure I am. I need some brainstorming for things that I might be interested in doing. resources...that sort of thing. I just really need some connection. :)
ljp
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Midaila » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:00 am

ljp, I hear you. I'm also looking for that kind of connecting with people alike and joyful, inspiring discussions. I feel I can move forward a bit by myself but it would be great to be able to talk with people who understand.. The person I live with definitely isn't a Scanner, but at least he doesn't look my project plans and calendar like I was some crazy person :P
Midaila
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby ljp » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:34 am

Hi Midaila,
I feel the same way.

Refuse to Choose inspires me and really speaks to me. I love Barbara's words, and I love the examples and other people's stories in the book.

I came back to this forum after many, many years because I had picked up Refuse to Choose again and started rereading it in hopes of finding some answers. I hoped that there would be a little more discussion here but it seems that either many have left or are now in a group where you have to pay to discuss. I don't want to pay to connect with others, at least not now.

Scannie, thank you for adding me to the FB scanner group. I've perused the topics there and unfortunately it's not really what I'm looking for either. I still prefer to have some of the anonymity that comes with a forum like this. I'll be leaving the FB group, but thank you for giving me the opportunity to join and have a look around.

I don't know what the solution is for me, but I know my hope in joining this forum was to find some insight and discussion that would help alleviate my isolation and perhaps spark some light bulbs, give me some inspiration and hope. I guess I'm not finding exactly what I need. I may just end up fading away as I did years ago, sorry to say. Not passing any judgment or blame -- far from it! Just expressing my two cents.
ljp
New Poster
New Poster

Postby skannie » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi ljp

Sorry you don't like the Facebook group. It is actually set to be private for members only. Maybe you didn't realise that. And if there are no topics there that suit you, you are free to post one. Maybe it will be just what someone else is looking for. Another way you can use the group is to find other members you like and friend them. Or you can just read stuff without joining in the discussions. You never know, something might turn up to inspire you.

Can you explain a bit more about what kind of discussion you are looking for, because I'm really not clear about it. Have you tried starting a discussion here? Or why not set up your own group somewhere if you feel there's a lack of what you want? That's what I did. I have ideas of developing the Scanner Tribe website more, and maybe having a private discussion area, but you'll miss the news of that if you disappear completely.

There is a free idea party area on Barbara's Club website, and some people there have been talking about setting up a small private group on Google plus. The thing is not to be passive and wait for someone else to create the perfect solution for you, but to create it yourself, with some help if needed. I think that's one of Barbara's main messages.

And yeah! We all need more than one reading of the wonderful Refuse to Choose to combat all those anti-scanner messages we've been hearing all our lives. Keep on reading and dipping in! Do you have any favourite quotes or inspiring bits from it? Maybe we could start a thread about that.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Midaila » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:35 pm

I wonder if we could do a little experiment here, in order to inspire discussion and get some push for our different goals. Something along the lines "we'll do our best to be active for 1 month", comment on topics that interest us, start threads for things we want to talk about and for once not being self-conscious and hesitant about it. Like, 'no matter what happens after this month/week/etc, right now I'm going to do it'.

Ah, yes, Refuse to Choose <3 I wonder if I could translate it so Scanner people in this part of world could get their hands on it, too. Got to say too that all those wonderful examples about people and their obstacles makes me want to have that kind of talk with Barbara herself :lol:
Midaila
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:47 am

Barbara still responds to posts here, occasionally. Also, you can create an anonymous account on Facebook, although it discourages this practice. But a discussion group on Facebook doesn't work well, IMO. Threads get lost easily, for example. At least here you have a system that keeps track of posts that you've read, provides a dedicated search system, and will be easier for other scanners to find because Barbara's site links to it.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:43 am

HI,
I'm out here.

I post on Hanging Out, but I also post here. Two differences between them -
Hanging Out has a yearly fee.
Barbara Sher provides a topic of conversation twice a week, and has other activities for the members such as telephone conversations on conference-call type arrangements. It relies much more on Barbara to keep things moving. Is she planning doing a third year of "Hanging Out"? Barbara occasionally posts on "the Boards", but it's mainly us regulars who keep it going.

People do post on "Wishes and Obstacles" and on "Idea Party". I post on "Success Stories." I also try to answer other people's posts so they won't feel like there's no one out there. (I just noticed your post yesterday.)

I like "the Boards" and would be very sorry to see it die out. Maybe I'm boring. To me working towards a goal has some mountain-top moments and a lot of just hanging in there and doing small steps. And I do get encouragement from the people here when it doesn't look like I'll ever get some mess figured out.

One comment I have - there are a lot of threads, and sometimes it's hard to find the new posts. I look for the dates, but I still miss posts.

Finally, there are people who do the work of maintaining the Boards - Tituba, Patty, ST, Merk and others - and I hope they know they're appreciated. There are other names I've missed. You don't know they exist until something goes wrong and an angel miraculously shows up and answers a question or fixes a problem.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:18 am

[quote="Midaila"]I wonder if we could do a little experiment here, in order to inspire discussion and get some push for our different goals. Something along the lines "we'll do our best to be active for 1 month", comment on topics that interest us, start threads for things we want to talk about and for once not being self-conscious and hesitant about it. Like, 'no matter what happens after this month/week/etc, right now I'm going to do it'.

My human, Elaine, get's caught up playing computer solitaire, but I'll happily post here. I'm Molly. I'm an intelligent Border Collie (plus something else), and so have to post under my human's name when she's not playing computer games.

I have had excellent support for my projects on this website, particularly from Shadow and his human Square Peg, and also from ST who was able to fix the problem when I had inadvertently misspelled my human's website. Typing with a nose has its own challenges.

Currently, I'm working on "The Molly Chronicles", documenting life from the point of view of an intelligent Border Collie(me) and all the excitement that I experience from apprehending squirrels to playing Major.... but I don't want to give anything away.

I am including illustrations in the book, but ran into a snag when I found out that Clip Art has a copyright restriction on it. Otherwise, I'd be finished with it by now.

I'll post a page or two from "The Molly Chronicles" on my human's website http://www.temporaryaddress-jody.blogspot.com I'll try to post every day, and I'll report here each time I've updated her blog. I'll post under "Writers and Speakers" as well as "Refuse to Choose - a Forum for Scanners, just to make sure someone sees it.

If you like my work, send liver snacks.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:45 pm

Two pages of "The Molly Chronicles" are up on my website http://www.temporaryaddress-jody.blogspot.com

"Baseball appears to be a human form of playing “fetch”. I might be interested. I like to chase balls, but I don’t bring them back because that’s my human’s job. In baseball, it seems that all they do is throw balls, and catch them, and run around a lot. I wouldn’t mind doing that."

Midaila, I love these Boards, and I love your idea about really using them for a month.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:50 pm

Molly is right. Baseball is funny. The two legs never stop to sniff each other or mark the field. And those wooden sticks! All they do is hit the ball with them. Why don't they chew them! Woof!

- Shadow
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:03 pm

HI, Shadow,

You just keep adding new dimensions to baseball.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:48 pm

I'll keep posting a page at a time on my blog.

To read the whole baseball chapter, go to my blog http://www.temporaryaddress-jody.blogspot.com and click on the picture on the right side of the page of Molly wearing a red baseball cap.

Shadow's part of the story is in the second half of the chapter.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners