So excited about the newly discovered life as a scanner

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: So excited about the newly discovered life as a scanner

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:19 am

My experience with art supplies is that there's no benefit to hording certain items. Gesso, for example, tends to solidify before the second time I use it. That may be the case for acrylic paint, in general. So this class of art supply would be worth donating to a local school rather than holding onto it.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby NowIknow » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:18 pm

SquarePeg wrote:My experience with art supplies is that there's no benefit to hording certain items. Gesso, for example, tends to solidify before the second time I use it. That may be the case for acrylic paint, in general. So this class of art supply would be worth donating to a local school rather than holding onto it.

Dear SquarPeg, thanks for your idea :D . I agree and would be delighted if some of my half finished project could be useful somewhere else. :D
NowIknow
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:22 pm

So much great conversation here. :D I wonder if there's a hidden scanner inside of me. I got bored a lot easier when I was younger. Now I can stand a lot more repetition and still be happy.

On this website, to the right of the post, there is a skinny column with our names and some information about us. Below our names, there is a circle that looks a little like a bowling ball. If you click on that circle, it will take you to that person's blog. There is another shape that reminds me of a pawn in the game of chess. If you click on that you can send a personal message to that person, that only he/she will see.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby NowIknow » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:50 am

Thank you Elaine Glimme..I somehow have to try to find the n ew message below the quote in yellow box too. I guess to mention name would be enough to respond to the person's comment. :D
NowIknow
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby NowIknow » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:13 am

Sorry I have not been in here for a while. I'm in the process of moving and try to get rid of my art material collection. It's a fond memory when looking at each piece. However, it would not be difficult to buy them again for those I distribute to the other which might get some use out of it.

I'm on with the Facebook account which has no one in my real life as a Facebook friend. It's purely for art and craft with people who share common interest. I started contacting someone on it who I think they could use the art materials I have and send them over to them. To my surprise some of them sent me back their piece of their work. It's very touching for me.

Just so you know Barbara, I include you in my daily prayer. Thanks for rescuing me from the confusion of who I am. I sincerely wish that when I was born, the nurse has put the book "Refuse to choose" in my mother's hand and say "this is who he is, no need to detour for 40 years" :D every child should have been born with the manual.

Sincerely,
NowIknow
NowIknow
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:34 am

Thank you for your kind words, NowIKnow, and for the help you have given so many others. I read some of your words aloud in one of my videos on the youtube site: "What do I do when I want to do everything?" and have gotten so many comments on it - both on youtube and on many of my Facebook pages and a number of Scanner sites on Facebook. You've made a huge difference because you were so clear and detailed and specific about how you changed your life after the impact of realizing who you are.

It's always good to hear from you but we know you are a creative Scanner and have many things to do and to learn, so never feel guilty that you can't be here all the time! Just know that we all feel a deep fondness and gratefulness to you and will always be glad to see you whenever you have time to visit, or have something you want us to see.

And, don't forget, we'll be here if ever you need any questions answered or any other kind of help. I know we want to always be able to help in any way we can.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:37 am

Here's the link to that video I mentioned above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym_R--9 ... BlSmUDmgcq

and here's one of the comments there:

Clive Dyson 1 month ago
What a wonderful testimony of a changed life through recognising that he is scanner and it's OK to be one. Thank you Barbara for sharing that success story.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby NowIknow » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:09 pm

Dearest Barbara,

Just recovered from a cold resulted from the moving from my apartment to a new place and handled all my collected craft materials, to reply to your post is a priority.

It's a great honor beyond comprehension that you read my words on Youtube. I was speechless and felt special. Thank you so so much. The first day Nov 16 I must have watched that Youtube clip over 10 times. I hope you know how big it is to me :D :D then I watched it almost everyday. :D

Your youtube came in on time, when I was exhausted or frustrated about my moving, I would listen to your Youtube for encouragement. :D

I will continue to write my journal as it is so important to me. As stated before (and I feel I repeated myself a lot, because it is an ongoing wonderful feeling and not one time thing, it's my whole life), I feel fundamentally wonderful regardless of anything I encounter now. :D

My happiness is in learning, I'm not a producer. I live to serve my curious mind and nature, then be happy. I'm just super curious about how thousand things were produced. I want to know, that's all. I realize now that all the craft materials I bought is to understand more how the piece is built. Once the secret revealed, I'm not quite interested in finishing it. The mental chain you have unlocked for me, is to let me know that it is alright to not finish things and stay on only until the rewards ends. :D I thus turned to love my life, instead of hating it for forty two years.

I tried to think why the change from not knowing to knowing my Scanner personality is so explicit and big to me. It's such an obvious change and strong feeling I have to write it down. I think it is because it is the only missing piece in my life. I guess I was lucky enough that my life forced me to take care and responsible for myself. I have to work and tried to stay with the company work (with lots of tears and torments) until I finally learned to stabilize myself with the outside world and not falling apart. With tears I forced myself to get up, dressed up and to go to work. It's not easy for scanner to feel that way everyday and don't know why. It's a torture to not know why the good enough job is just a good enough job. :?:

I carried on with my life knowing there is one piece missing between me and happiness. It has resulted in my personality good or bad (like like to help people since I understand their torment I experienced myself while having strong reaction when protecting my feeling from other comments before) :D Now it's gone, feeling like life is so light and not being affected by people comments is such a wonderful feeling. This is only because I know who I am. :D

One fine day your book came to my life and answered all the questions I had been asking myself for forty two years in every moment of self-doubt and suffering (which seems like a million times big or small). So it is to confirm to you discovering this book is a big thing for me. I feel lucky I survived two major close car accidents (almost hit but close, car turned around 360) and lived long enough to find this book. I have told the incident how I found your book before. I opened the book expecting nothing. I wish everyone experience the feeling I felt in that miracle minute when I finished reading the first chapter on first paragraph on Elaine, that feeling is unforgettable, it's mesmerizing, astonishing. I could not continue I have to go sit down and looked out of the window, I felt my heart was beating hard. I'm glad to have that one minute in my life. :D

Now the result is life with not much producing any finish products, but I have produced lot of life happiness/achievement and started living a normal life I didn't experience for forty two years. I really feel normal now, (that I didn't feel before). I started to understand a lot of thing, like minimalism, because I feel enough. I don't care much people telling me I'm not producing anything, for me the ability to live happy life I gained from your book is greater than material production people talk about. :D

Thanks one more time :D

NowIknow
NowIknow
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:38 pm

So many people have been inspired by your story, NowIKnow. When you get a chance, look at the comments under the video where I was reading your words. :-) (I was inspired, too. As you might notice, I'm wearing an old shirt, had no 'video' makeup on, I just ran to the camera when I was alone and turned it on and did the best I could. Still, it's many people's favorite video of them all.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:52 pm

"Now the result is life with not much producing any finish products, but I have produced lot of life happiness/achievement and started living a normal life I didn't experience for forty two years. I really feel normal now, (that I didn't feel before). I started to understand a lot of thing, like minimalism, because I feel enough. I don't care much people telling me I'm not producing anything, for me the ability to live happy life I gained from your book is greater than material production people talk about."

In describing yourself, NowIKnow, in this one paragraph you have given a huge gift to everyone who will see it. (And I'm going to try to make that everyone I can find.) So many people still say to me, "I love to learn new things, but I don't *do* anything with them! Everyone thinks I'm wasting my time, and they must be right! What can I do?"

Well, one thing they can do is read what you've said above. And to add those unforgettable things you said earlier, about how you now are glad to see your family and to buy things for yourself -- in other words, allowing yourself to be a learner, because that's who you are, means to be able to live a full, rich life. "I really feel normal now, (that I didn't feel before)."

And you are thinking such creative, interesting thoughts: "I started to understand a lot of things, like minimalism, because I feel enough."

Whoa. When I read that I picked up my head. I've never heard anyone say such a thing before. With your permission, I will continue to repeat some of the things you say because I'm certain that, for someone, that simple, powerful thought will change their life.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:02 am

every child should have been born with the manual.

Nay, that would ruin the game. Like reading the end of a book. The joy is in the finding.

Yes, yes, frustration along the way, that is part of the game. I think it was Oprah who said "Failure is God's way of saying 'take another path.'"

When asked about the lightbulb, Thomas Edison said "I didn't fail. I just found 10,000 ways that didn't work."

Do you know what beta software is? It is software a manufacturer makes, tests, finds out what didn't work, revises, rinse and repeat. We are all betas.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:15 am

I would agree, Tituba, if I didn't get so many letters from people over 60 who only found out they're Scanners now. They're happy to know it, but the culture was so sure they were wrong that they suffered too much, produced too little.

I'm still busting my back trying to figure out more ways to get the news to the undiagnosed Scanners. I'm not doing as much as I could, I'm sure of it.

Someone just sent another incredibly grateful-for-Refuse-To-Choose letter and said she googled for 'Too many interests' and found, in the comments of some site, someone who mentioned the book. Why didn't the book come up right away? For Too many interests, Too many aptitudes, Can't choose only one career? I dunno.

It makes me very sad and a little desperate.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby solinox » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:12 pm

I just shared it on my Facebook page, just because you said that, Barbara. Even though I feel a little silly just telling people how awesome your book is, and how long I put off reading it. I've been messaging my best friend for the past couple of days, or nights when I've been reading, and all I can say is "Awesome book! This is the best book ever!!!"
solinox
New Poster
New Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:01 pm

Thank you, Solinox! That's a good, kind thing to do!

I'll put something else here that was unexpectedly popular on Facebook last week. Maybe some of you will enjoy it (and want to share it even more) - don't go away....
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:20 pm

Why didn't the book come up right away?

Talk to your webmaster about putting in key word meta tags in your webpage and then Google will bring it up upon searches
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners