An inspiring quote for scanners

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

An inspiring quote for scanners

Postby littlewren » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:26 am

I was looking through some old stuff today and came across this quote I'd written down ages ago. I wonder if other people here can identify with this, but I've always been a bit obsessed with trying to find my "life's purpose", yet have found this to be an immensely frustrating and almost depressing quest.
This is probably because I have multiple and varied "passions" and have never been able to pin myself down to do just one thing. This quote resonated with me and I like the fact that it challenges the idea (probably fed to us by society) that we need to find one, overarching purpose to our lives. I just wanted to share it and hope it might help others to relax and acknowledge that perhaps our "life purpose" is complex, dynamic and multi-dimensional. . .

“Maybe we have to back off from dwelling on whether we are achieving some theoretical life purpose. Maybe we just do what is in front of us and do that well, and do it with an open heart. Do the best you can with what you’re connected to at that moment. That’s your life purpose for that moment. Don’t try to find some absolute best thing. Go in the side door or the back door, and maybe you’ll find what your life purpose is… Go with what you have, and don’t take yourself too seriously. Maybe you don’t know the purpose of what you’re doing right now, and maybe it’s an intermediary step, but you’ll meet someone there. You don’t want to stay in a dead end, either, but you have to assume that there is a purpose for that moment.”
~from "The Purpose of Your Life" by Carol Adrienne
littlewren
New Poster
New Poster

Re: An inspiring quote for scanners

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:17 am

Yes, that's really good. I suppose we're afraid of taking that first step that could take us in the wrong direction. But usually what we fear is not a wrong direction but rather a less-than-perfect direction.

Thanks, littlewren
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:02 pm

This quote is not only helpful for scanners, but for perfectionists. It is hard for perfectionists to accept less than great.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks, littlewren (LOVE your "name")!

I like that quote a lot. I'm not a perfectionist (God, NO, you should see all my messes!). But I'm beginning to think I'm a "scanner". I haven't read "Refuse to Choose" yet but I plan to. I think I might be a "serial scanner"? Not exactly sure what that is. But I do things INTENSELY for several years (usually about 2-3 years) and then I'm on to something else. It's frustrating for me to get back to things again (I always want to) because it feels like starting all over again.

But I do run into that "finding that one thing that is your life purpose" in lots of things I read and I like the quote. Maybe I don't have "one" life purpose. (God, even writing that makes me feel guilty. Am I "programmed", or what??) Maybe I have lots of different ones and they're all valid.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:43 pm

I can't imagine anyone having only one purpose in life. We make beautiful things, we raise families, we support friends, we have jobs and careers, we run marathons, qw travel to India, and so on. We are not the same person at 40 that we were at 20.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:21 am

Yes. Also time to forgive ourselves for the actions and choices of our 20 year old self. The decisions we made were the best we could given our experience and age. You don't need to be held captive in your career choice by the decisions made by your 20 year old self.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners