More books on the subject?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

More books on the subject?

Postby gabrielbarros » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:15 am

Hi all,
I've just read the "I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was" and I stopped write on the scanner part. After this, I've started searching on Google for related topics and I've found the "Refuse to Choose". I bought the 99 cent kindle and I am waiting for the full kindle version of "Refuse to Choose" to buy (it's so expensive to shipp the normal book to Brazil).

I already have read several discussions on this on this boards and in general internet, so let's go the questions:

1) More material on ways to gain income with non-ordinary 9-5 jobs. I am not in a cheap economy like US, here in Brazil isn't that easy to start business that my go wrong (and then you're screwd) so it's good to have a lot of input.

2) Is it a good strategy to keep comming back and perform baby steps on inactive projects? Because I am in the middle of my Master's and some stuff really set up my procrastination hunger, but I have to keep doing.

So is good to push yourself to older projects, even if it is on baby steps spaced on a long period of time?

Thank you, Gabriel.
gabrielbarros
New User
New User

Re: More books on the subject?

Postby Midaila » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:37 am

Personally, I don't push myself to do things (unless it's something I HAVE to do, i.e. for work) because it makes me super uncomfortable. From time to time I do lure myself into doing things though, like working with a present so that I can finish it before I have to give it to someone. When I can gently make myself start something, it usually turns out to be quite fun thing to do.

There's that much Sampler in me that I don't usually return to work with the older projects and ideas anyway :P. So I guess it depends. Do you want to work baby steps on those older projects, or just start new ones.

Sorry, propably not very helpful. As for the income part, can't really say, trying to figure out for myself too.
Midaila
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Vickih » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:45 am

It depends what those old projects are. Do they still serve you? Do they still make you excited? Do they still push you forward or bring you rewards in the long run? Because if not, then sometimes its best to let them go rather than finishing for the sake of finishing.

I have only just recently given myself permission to let go of what no longer serves me and not feel bad about it. I don't think it's an easy thing to do!

As far as the making money thing and books - Do you have an idea of areas/interests you'd like to generate income from?
www.yourspiritualself.com
Vickih
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby skannie » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi Gabriel. Try Better World Books http://www.betterworldbooks.com/ They have free shipping all over the world.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:46 pm

To me, being a scanner means not feeling sorry about giving up things that no longer interest me. When I identified myself as a scanner, I let go of the guilt and self-loathing that came with not following through on hobbies, crafts and ideas. Anyway, good luck!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby emspace » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:45 pm

Co-sign with Vickih and SquarePeg. If you’re still really interested in the old projects, yes, small steps. But really dig deep and ask why you want to continue. Because you’re still interested or because you feel you need to finish something to prove you can or something else?

In terms of making money with non-ordinary 9-5 jobs, I don’t really think it’s easy anywhere to start your own business. Entrepreneurism everywhere is difficult and has no safety net. I don’t live in the U.S., but I don’t really understand what you mean by “a cheap economy like US.”

Since I work in a company that specifically coaches entrepreneurs, I can say a few things with certainty about entrepreneurship:
  • In North America, the statistic is about 50% of businesses make it past 4-5 years.
  • If you’re afraid of failing, you’re not cut out to be an entrepreneur.
  • The most successful entrepreneurs have failed spectacularly at some point, often more than once.
  • If you’re just looking to make a lot of money quickly and without risk, you should probably not start your own business.
  • Many of the most successful entrepreneurs are successful because of their networks and relationships than their actual products or services or their skills and intelligence.

If you still want to be an entrepreneur, then some of these tips may help:
  • Understand what you’re really great at, what value you create for other people, and exactly what kind of people you want to help
  • Make sure there are enough people who want what you’re offering: you need to identify a specific problem that other people would pay you money to solve for them
  • Start by finding ONE person you can help and who will pay you, and do such an incredible job for that person that s/he REFERS you to other people
  • Keep building up your contacts, networks of people who you’d work in parallel with who could also refer you to their clients, vendors, and especially making every single client extremely happy about paying you their hard-earned money
  • Don’t just build your knowledge and technical skills, but also build your relationship skills
  • Team up with people who are highly talented and proficient in the things that you’re no good at; value these relationships as much as you do your clients and vendors and associates

Well, basically, it all comes down to how you treat everyone: clients, team members, partners, associates, vendors, referral network, investors and so on. Yes, you absolutely need a solid business idea, something you can provide that other people will buy, but ultimately, everything always comes down to Relationship. This is why social media has been such a huge changemaker for so many people, not the least example being in crowdfunding. If you’re developing a product, you should be developing your audience and market in parallel.

Ack! I have too much to say on this topic, so I’ll just stop now until someone wants more. :?
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Midaila » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:58 am

emspace, pretty nice writing on the topic.

I'll be setting up my own business next year and I've been thinking about the subject for quite alot, and I agree with you. I'm not looking to be a very rich person, I just want to do the things I like and get my living out of it, and in few years, be able to hire few more people. I'm tired of hearing about how more and more people go unemployed by the year, I want to do something about it.
Midaila
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:49 am

Great post, emspace! I wonder how those with social deficits can manage. I'm thinking of those with high-functioning autism who are smart but lack many social skills. The rise in autism since 1990 may change the entrepreneurial landscape.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby emspace » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:01 pm

SquarePeg wrote:Great post, emspace! I wonder how those with social deficits can manage. I'm thinking of those with high-functioning autism who are smart but lack many social skills. The rise in autism since 1990 may change the entrepreneurial landscape.

Ah yes! But this is where great Teamwork comes in! Someone who is really terrific at, say, coding (Steve Wozniak), needs to partner up with someone who is great at selling (Steve Jobs). I’m not a great seller and I’m lousy at keeping on top of relationships (via email, via phone, via social media, via snail mail, heck, even in person). I think about them a lot, but I never have enough energy to put myself out there for everyone all the time. (Who does?) (Well, a great Connector does.) What I could use is a hand-shaker and wooer. There are these people in the world; I know a few. But the trick is to get them on board with your cause.

Hmm. There’s an idea for a start-up. A matchmaking company that puts genius creators with genius packagers. Wish I knew a genius coder who could create the backend for this, and a genius connector who could help build it up. :?
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners