Do you know any Introvert Scanners?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Do you know any Introvert Scanners?

Postby BarbaraSher » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:43 pm

A good friend (who is a Scanner, but not an introvert -- as far as I know, anyway) advises it. She liked a video I sent out some time ago about Introverts, done by another good friend, Hajo Winkler, and wanted to know my views on Introverted Scanners.

I don't know what my views on introverted Scanner issues are, to be honest, though I'd love to hear from any Introverted Scanners so I can hear if their issues are any different from other Scanners.

What do you think?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Do you know any Introvert Scanners?

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:35 am

Hi Barbara, I'm slightly more of an introvert.

When I need to do my best work, under pressure, I isolate myself. There's even a big difference in focus and performance when I'm at home alone, or when my family is home with me and I'm in a room by myself. Also, when an introvert is upset or simply needs to recharge, he or she will seek solitude.

I can work in groups. I can speak in public. But it takes more effort -- I have to psyche myself up for it.

An extrovert, when upset or tired, might prefer to go to a crowded bar, especially with friends. Being alone is draining.

HTH
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby NowIknow » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi, I’m not sure that I’m an introvert but I stay home a lot. I don’t feel lonely when I’m home by myself all evening or all weekend working on my projects/read/seeking information on the internet.
I really need to be alone by myself in order to be clear with my idea. I even feel a bit uncomfortable if someone was sitting with me when I work on my craft/art.

As a scanner I could work with others, being among people and could carry conversation/joke around. I’ve been an MC for most of the offices' parties and enjoyed participating in a group activities. The moment I’m back home I don’t need to go out for dinner or hangout, but I still interact with people on the facebook. I do need to be alone when I’m tired with the book and cup of coffee for a recovery, rather than seeing someone.

I think I’m an introvert. However, I somehow think because I work in the office during the daytime and interact a lot with my colleague/client. I’m not sure if I would stay home all day I may want to meet people.
Last edited by NowIknow on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NowIknow
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:54 pm

SquarePeg wrote:Hi Barbara, I'm slightly more of an introvert.

When I need to do my best work, under pressure, I isolate myself. There's even a big difference in focus and performance when I'm at home alone, or when my family is home with me and I'm in a room by myself. Also, when an introvert is upset or simply needs to recharge, he or she will seek solitude.

I can work in groups. I can speak in public. But it takes more effort -- I have to psyche myself up for it.

An extrovert, when upset or tired, might prefer to go to a crowded bar, especially with friends. Being alone is draining.

HTH

Oops. If that's the case, Square Peg, then *I'm* an Introvert (and a Scanner, of course). Everything you say is true of me, in spades. The only difference, and it doesn't seem to be huge, is when you say, "I can speak in public. But it takes more effort -- I have to psyche myself up for it." Maybe I do have to psyche myself up for it, but only a little bit because I've done it for so long. Once I'm up there in front of everyone, I have a good time.

Well, I don't know what to say about an Introvert Scanner in that case :-) except they have a lot of fun when they're alone playing with their projects. Maybe *all* Scanners are Introverts! This conversation has taken an unexpected turn, hasn't it?!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:56 pm

NowIknow wrote:Hi, I’m not sure that I’m an introvert but I stayed home a lot. I don’t feel lonely when I’m home by myself all evening or all weekend working on my projects/read/seeking information on the internet.
I really need to be alone by myself in order to be clear with my idea. I even feel a bit uncomfortable if someone sitting with me when I work on my craft/art.

As a scanner I could work with others, being among people and could carry conversation/joke around. I’ve been an MC for most of the officer’s party and enjoyed participating in a group activities. The moment I’m back home I don’t need to go out for dinner or hangout, but I still interact with people on the facebook. I do need to be alone when I’m tried with the book and cup of coffee for a recovery, rather than seeing someone.

I think I’m an introvert. However, I somehow think because I work in the officer during the daytime and interact a lot with my colleague/client. I’m not sure if I would stay home all day I may want to meet people.

It's wonderful to hear from you again, dear NowIKnow!

Yes, I understand what you're saying - which is very much what Square Peg (and I, to my surprise) are saying.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:55 pm

Emily Dickinson was the exception. Most people are not completely introverted or extroverted, they are a mixture of both. - thank goodness. I asked my husband Tom (scanner to beat all scanners) if he was introverted or extroverted. He said it depends on the situation.

Some teachers say they are introverts because they need to be alone to recharge. Of course they want to be alone - after being in charge of a roomful of kids all day! Likewise, I would suspect that a performer, such as you, Barbara, would want to be alone after putting on a workshop or doing a performance. And I don't think that has anything to do with being an introvert or extrovert. it's a question of balance.

I am VERY introverted. It's something I have had to overcome over the years. I think being shy is a real impediment for a scanner - it's harder to get to do a lot of things when you're scared to ask for advice, or feel uncomfortable around a lot of people. (I felt uncomfortable reserving airline tickets over the Internet. How's that for shy!) Also, your comment, "Isolation is the dream killer" is right on, and it's true for introverts. At least it's true for me. It's easy to hole up by myself, and it's not a good way to live. I have to make an effort to be around people, but it's well worth it.

Introverted scanners will constantly have to make the choice between being comfortably alone and doing what they love. At least they will if they want to travel, join an activity with other people, learn something in a workshop/ small group setting, be a coach, etc. As I said, most of us aren't 100% introverted, so we can overcome the shyness if the dream is important enough.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby emspace » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:31 pm

I think I’m mostly an Introvert, but I also get charged and recharged by being around people, too.

One of the women I work with is one of our public faces and does a lot of speaking to groups as well as promotional video and webinars and podcasts and live calls. Basically, she talks to and with people for a living. But she considers herself an Introvert because when she needs more energy, she goes someplace with no friends or family around and reads or bakes. Alone. You wouldn’t know that about her when you see her at work.

Also important to note is that being Introverted doesn’t automatically make you unsociable or anti-sociable. I also know plenty of Introverts who love getting together with friends and going out.

In my case, I think the distinction is that I love to go out and be out, but if I can’t find anyone to come with me, I’ll still go. I have no problem with doing stuff (including social stuff) unaccompanied.

Mind you, as a Scanner, I find it easier to explore without being encumbered by the presence of another person with whom I have to consult and whose enjoyment of the situation I have to be aware of.

I love playing games and sports and I’m super competitive, so for those things, I love having people around. These things always energise me.

When I’m working, I rather work on my own thing, think things through on my own first, and then meet to compare notes, hand off, talk through problems, coordinate, and so on. I don’t like working together with people directly because I find that makes things slower. “Slow” at work is an energy drainer!

~

Online, I’ve “met” more introverted Scanners than extroverted so it’s the extroverted ones that are of interest to me.

Offline, the only Scanners I can identify are all Introverted. Mind you, I’m boring to extroverts so I don’t tend to know very many well enough to know if they are Scanners or not.
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby NowIknow » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:41 pm

Wow, this Interesting question about being an introvert made me feel like analyzing myself. Thanks for exciting subject.

I'm confident that I could be among people (in my own language :)) and have a good time. Somehow because I have read so many books in my life that I have figured out whatever they talk about I would know mostly and would have something to contribute to the conversation. If I don't know what they are talking about, it would be even more challenging for me to find out and a opportunity for them to talk. :)
However, it might be that once the person I spoke to started repeating the subject of their interest, as they are a diver, i.e. fashion. After a while of interesting enjoyable conversation, I have to leave to someone else cause my interest in such matter changed (as a scanner).
It's like part of me which is being an extrovert, has a time limitation since I'm a scanner. Only as long as my interest last.

I think being with people sometime you have to follow their rhythm, step in doing things. Which could be slower or faster than you and you need to compromise with their steps in order to get along.
That was when I want to go home and be with myself, so I could do think my own speed. I felt like I could not follow their speed, there are thousand things to learn at home and I want time for that. :)

As a scanner I have many interests waiting for me at home to explore. So I could not stick with an extrovert on and on, they wonder why I'm so eager to go home. My interpretation is that an introvert is someone who is interested with matters but an extrovert is someone who is interested in people.

I'm a social worker and I also want to be a teacher in order to speak and interact with many people, but I would not want to be on duty 24 hours. Unlike one of my colleagues, who go home only to sleep and really like to meet people. She said there is nothing at home. She would try to make appointment with people everyday. She described that when she is at home, she would take a shower, clean up a bit and turn the light off and go to bed.

Thanks
NowIknow
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:51 pm

I'm familiar with the introvert/extrovert test, and I know there's a question, "what do you do to charge up your battery - be with people or be alone? I think this question is misleading because it doesn't take into consideration what the rest of your day is like.

I score very far on the introvert end of the scale. I feel uncomfortable in most social situations. I'm shy. On most days, I spend approximately 22 hours by myself. But after working at the computer all day, I want to be with people to charge up my batteries. Does that really make me an extrovert? I think not.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BethS » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:41 pm

Hi Barbara,

I'm new to these boards and am thrilled to have found you and all the Scanners here :) I am half-way through Refuse to Choose.

I'm an introvert Scanner.

I've always enjoyed my own company and I can spend the majority of the day in silence and be happy. Being in groups of people I don't know is something I can do, but it is very draining. Hanging out with old close friends is always fun though.

I wonder if perhaps I'm a bit of an extra introvert because of my Scanner tendencies?

I don't fit in with the folks who have a tidy one-word or title answer to "what do you do?". Well... I do nature photography and I write and I'm also an online merchant and I do digital art and last week I was really into....etc.

Never-mind the fact that family/friends think I'm a bit weird because I'm always into something new - "what's she doing this week? I can't keep up!" - So I often don't mention my latest interest - although I get so excited about it I WANT to talk about it at least until the next interest comes along.

That's my 2-cents :)

- Beth (learning to embrace my Scanner-ness!)
BethS
New User
New User

Postby BarbaraSher » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:26 pm

Welcome, Beth! Tell *us* your new interests. I think everyone here would love that!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:42 pm

"what's she doing this week? I can't keep up!"

Well......you could turn your head in sympathy, take their hand and say "Oh, I didn't know about your condition. I'll explain it slowly. I am happy."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby missbehaved » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:34 am

I know I am introverted from the MBTI and because I work with people a lot it mainly shows up under pressure - when there is a problem, my first tendency is to pull back and try and figure out a solution by myself. To reach out to others and ask for help is much harder. So while I love the thought of group support I often end up working on my own first.
missbehaved
New Poster
New Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:45 am

Tituba wrote:
"what's she doing this week? I can't keep up!"

Well......you could turn your head in sympathy, take their hand and say "Oh, I didn't know about your condition. I'll explain it slowly. I am happy."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Love it!!!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lindahartley » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:19 am

Hi everyone,
I'm an introvert. I've known that for years but I only just found out I'm a scanner. Go figure! I read Wishcraft several years ago and loved it but always felt I didn't quite get it. I've been on the mailing list for ages but I just listened to the videos from today's mail and suddenly saw that this is me! I think it was when Barabara said about learning everything you need to know about something and then being able to just stop and move on. That's me to a tee!
I even used to describe myself as a polymath when I was younger but somehow I thought I'd settle into one thing when I 'grew up'. At 59 I'm still waiting!
Back to the introversion thing. I need to interact with people but it costs me. I can't do crowds but I like small group interaction. I even taught face to face for several years. No one would have guessed I'm an introvert unless they saw me at the end of the day! Afterwards I need alone time, lots of it. Time to think, time to do my own thing but also just to be alone. I crave it.
Luckily my partner is the same. Pretty sure he's a scanner too though a bit different to me.
I'm waiting for a copy of Refuse to Choose to arrive and hoping to learn lots more.
Lindahartley
New User
New User

Next

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners