How Can A Scanner Earn Money Doing What He or She Loves When

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

How Can A Scanner Earn Money Doing What He or She Loves When

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:57 pm

Here's the newsletter I sent out last week before the book club closed. In case you're not on my mailing list and haven't seen it, I thought you might find it interesting:

How Can A Scanner Earn Money Doing What He or She Loves When That Keeps Changing?

Barbara Sher's Newsletter
Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Hi All
I got this question today and I had to answer it. Maybe you have the same question.

Q: Barbara, what if you want to make a living based on what you love? How can a Scanner do that?

A: I have two completely opposite answers — one is new, and you won't find it anywhere except in the new material I've put into the "Refuse to Choose" and "Du musst dich nicht enscheiden, wenn du tausend Träume hast" book clubs. (Join by 11:55 pm NY time tomorrow to read it.)

Answer Number One: A Scanner can't and shouldn't make a living doing what she loves. With one huge exception (see Answer Number Two), you shouldn't do the thing you love for a career. Your gifts are like those of a poet or an artist: It's your happiest, hardest task to search for what the poem needs — the best word, the best emphasis — not what the people who are paying you want. You have to be in charge of your gifts, at least until they're established in your life the way you want them to be.

When it comes to making a living, you can get a Good Enough Job (one that is not toxic, has reasonable hours, and a modicum of interesting work to do) and calling it your own Subsidy to the Arts.

Answer Number Two: A Scanner can and must make a living doing what she loves in one circumstance only, and this is the huge exception you won't find in any of my books *yet* but will find in one of the new exercises in the English and German Refuse to Choose book clubs.

It's about Drive and what Drive really is. It can affect anyone, but it means something unique to a multi-talented Scanner.

A Scanner can do everything he or she loves if they choose to do the one thing they are driven to do. That's what I do.

This is something you *must* do. It usually means trying to stop something bad that you cannot bear to continue. With dedicated doctors, it is illness. With the best lawyers, it is injustice. With me it's making sure no one is stopped from doing what they really want to do. Like making sure Scanners know how to create the right life for themselves and quit thinking there's something wrong with them! Because thinking there's something wrong with them is what keeps me up at night.

But does that work for a Scanner? Yes, it does. Amazingly well. It's kept me in the same career for 45 years or more, and I'm still not bored!

Why not? Because Scanners like me find ourselves using every talent we have — and discovering new interests, pulling them into the Cause: writing, speaking, problem-solving, teaching, cartooning, playing with new things like social media, and doing stand up comedy! I'll even make movies and sing opera if I have to! I enjoy learning new things, and, like everyone with drive, I'll do anything to advance the cause I care most about.

No one, not even Scanners, ever gets tired of something they are driven to do. Including you.

Now, listen: This is one discussion (Drive for Scanners) you won't find anywhere but in the "Refuse to Choose" and "Du musst dich nicht enscheiden, wenn du tausend Träume hast" book clubs!

And they are closing in less than 48 hours! How will I get everyone to know in time? Oh damn.

Look, don't research this one. Just go to barbarasclub.com/bookclub/r2c2015 (for the English club) or barbarasclub.com/buchclub/dmdne2015 (for the German club) and sign up. You've got a full week to find out if it's right for you or get your money back. So much to gain, not a damn thing to lose!

Carpe diem, guys. Never said that here before, but I mean it: Seize the day. You will thank me very soon for this.

Yours,

Barbara Sher

Barbara Sher is a world-renowned authority on identifying goals, finding drive and motivation, and avoiding resistance the natural way. (She does not believe in positive thinking, creating realities or the 'male, military model' of overcoming inner blocks.) She has 6 best-selling books in more than a dozen languages (including German), lively videos on YouTube to explain her work and Barbara's Club with online courses, book clubs, and a free Idea Party. Sher is an inspiring speaker who has been called 'a standup comic with a message' and 'the godmother of life coaching.'

email: barbara@barbarasher.com
web: http://www.barbarasher.com
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: How Can A Scanner Earn Money Doing What He or She Loves

Postby Flipps » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:50 pm

Andrerya wrote:Great to read about follixin now!

I would caution one thing with a Cause though - it can lead to burnout if one is not careful, or especially if one volunteers most of the time (while family expect/wish for compensated 'good enough' work/job...)

Good read Barbara, you've got to do what you love.
Last edited by Flipps on Mon May 01, 2017 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flipps
New User
New User

Re: How Can A Scanner Earn Money Doing What He or She Loves

Postby Andreya » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:49 am

Great to read this!

I would caution one thing with a Cause though - it can lead to burnout if one is not careful, or especially if one volunteers most of the time (while family expect/wish for compensated 'good enough' work/job...)

I do think some people earn money with some interests (those are probably not so fast-changing though to warrant asking about it!)
'Umbrella' careers might cover them too...
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners