Another look at Jack of All Trades

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Another look at Jack of All Trades

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:53 am

lol! You're a Scanner, Gladys, that's for sure. :-) And welcome. Wish you lived in the neighborhood!

I guess you tell them whatever sort of true thing you want them to hear. Organizational Systems Manager, how's that?

If they foolishly ask, "What tasks does that entail?" and you're not hoping to be hired, you could say, "Pretty much everything, but I don't do windows. (However I can help you design a system whereby they will stay cleaned, if you need one.)"

If you want to be hired as a speaker you could say, "Organizational Systems Manager and Competence Motivator. My topics are, 'Everything is fun - at first,' or 'To avoid boredom, become a Jack of All Trades. You'll never go hungry,' or 'Learning is the best legal high.'

That ought to hold them for awhile. :-)

Of course, if you want them to speak freely around you, in social situations, just say, "Oh, I'm just a Jack of all trades, master of none. How about you?"

Questions:

1) when you're hired asked to be a speaker, how do they introduce you to the audience?

2) what's a car tracker (and cctv)?

3) which gives you the most enjoyment: learning how to do new things or being seriously competent?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Another look at Jack of All Trades

Postby AbbeyRoad » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:27 pm

Thank you for your kind comments, Barbara. People often tell me I should write a book. And yes, of course you can quote me. I'd be honored.

Well, I got sidetracked and reread "It's Only Too Late..." So I still don't know the scanner terminology. I remember that I fit well into two categories. Probably the Sybil and the one I remember as Serial Master, although I think I don't have that quite right. I'll go back and read it again.

I understand that the idea of scanners is a model, albeit one that is very useful.

That's an interesting distinction between the desire to do things and the desire to know how things work. I'll think about that. I think I have both, but I probably lean towards a desire to know how things work so I can make them work. I guess that's more toward the mastery side.
AbbeyRoad
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners