Looking for work advice (once again)

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Looking for work advice (once again)

Postby Midaila » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:21 am

Seriously, there must be something wrong with me. I'm in such a position in my life at the moment I could do anything I wanted - and I still get nowhere. Let me explain.

I'm a stay-at-home-mom, working occassionally for a co-op. It's such a loose definion that I can do practically anything and get paid for it. My husband takes care of our household (cleans, cooks, so on) most of the time. Our child is now 7-months-old.

I have been trying to figure out what to do, how to market myself. I have figured out most pieces of this puzzle but I don't seem to be able to get them together. So if you get any ideas, please, let me know. So...

I love learning new skills (don't we all?) and creating physical things. Working with my hands and seeing how the images from my mind come to life. I'm officially a seamstress but I like many sorts of handcrafting (even some I haven't even learnt yet). I like to create new things and new, amazing experiences to other people. I'm a grand planner and problem solver.

One thing about my work: it needs to be meaningful. Can't just do any job that comes available (telemarketing? god, no). I try be environment-friendly with my crafts. I can't handle boredom or repetitive work. Oh, and I want to be able to have my child with me most of the time while working.

I guess from that the most important things are that it must be somehow meaningful and involve creating and handcrafting. And new experiences for people.

These are the pieces I can't get together. Any ideas?
Midaila
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Looking for work advice (once again)

Postby Violette » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:23 am

Just throwing a rough idea out there:

Maybe you could start an online business where you provide some sort of personalised baby-related product (clothes, bibs, home decor etc) using organic materials. For the new mother who cares about using safe and environmentally friendly products. The customer could have some role in designing it, making it not just a physical product but also a fun experience of picking out colours and styles to make it personal to them. So that you don't have to make bespoke products all the time (which I assume will be more time consuming), you could also offer a line of standard products that are quicker for you to produce.
Violette
New User
New User

Re: Looking for work advice (once again)

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:34 pm

Do you think you might work well with engineers and designers? Or generally anyone who's good a conceptualizing something and needs help creating a model or product? I imagine you could be a real asset to folks in a maker space.

I recall an article that appeared in the weekly automotive section of the newspaper that described a very unique and lucrative type of job. There are folks that create life-size models of automobiles, and they get paid a lot to do it.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners