New here, with something (hopefully) helpful to share....

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

New here, with something (hopefully) helpful to share....

Postby Push-Pull » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:38 pm

Hello there!

Found out about my Scanner identity after searching for 'How to handle multiple hobbies'. And typical to being a Scanner, I dug several links deeper and deeper, finally coming to Barbara's book Refuse to Choose. I've been making my way through Refuse to Choose, and it has really confirmed a lot about what I felt about myself, but didn't quite understand. I've always had many various interests, always finding new ones derived from previous ones (following the rabbit down the hole) or simply stumbling across something that caught my attention. Fortunately, my early work history allowed me to indulge my many interests beyond what I was actually there for, thus keeping things fresh and allowing me to become creative and nurture this side of me. My current career, not so much, but the pay is good, and I get to read a lot on the job. Even if I can't tinker on the job, I can sure play out, think, plan, and daydream about when I can! So lots of new ideas constantly being churned out.

And I am really enjoying the freedom that comes from feeling that it's OK to let my mind run amok through this playground of ideas. The whole Scanner concept has drastically changed my perception of myself in a very good way.

One of the first things that caught my eye in Barbara's book was the Day Journal. I was pleasantly surprised as I pondered the concept and realized that I had already been doing this with reasonable success with Evernote. In fact, after spending some thought on it, I re-organized my notes, added a couple more notebooks and tags, and tweaked the work flow a bit to make it more streamlined. Now, any new Scanner ideas can be easily and swiftly entered into my Evernote 'Day Journal'. As a result, I am entering in many more new ideas and not letting them just vanish into the ether of my brain. I even have a checklist where I add in any concepts or topics that I want to look into if I don't have time at that moment.

But where I thought I might be of help was with another of Barbara's concepts; working backwards from the desired result. By complete chance, I stumbled across an app called Mindly (Sorry, can't post links yet, but it's easy to find with a Google search) during my rummaging through yet another series of articles about Android Apps. It's a mind map type app, but a bit different and I immediately saw the benefit to it. Simply put, it allowed me to take the end result of one (well, many) of my projects and work backwards from my goal.

As an example, my main circle is the goal of my 1941 Dodge Truck being fully restored, driving, and road-worthy. From that circle, I attach more circles representing Engine, Transmission, Frame, Cab, Electrical Systems, Axles, and so on. I can take each of these smaller circles and further break them down until I have a series of smaller starting steps to begin with. It really does help to see the steps as opposed to the quite daunting big picture. All I have to do is pick one of the smallest circles and tackle it. No second guessing or wasting time trying to sort out what's next. I just pick one and start.

Anyhow, I'm not affiliated in any way with Mindly, I just thought it was a useful app that might be helpful.

So, I just wanted to say Hello and thank you for having this wonderful place available to us. I am really looking forward to participating here!
New User
New User

Re: New here, with something (hopefully) helpful to share...

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:23 pm

Welcome, PP!

I like Evernote, too, for the Day Journal (Daybook). The mobile app is handy -- it works offline and combines photos and text nicely. I actually have mine scattered about on various platforms: Evernote, Google Drive, Dropbox, and even my blog.

I've never liked Mind Maps, but I like how you used it for the auto restoration project. I don't think it helps with meeting a deadline the way a Gantt chart would, but I can see how valuable it would be for breaking a huge project down into manageable pieces.

The link for Mindly is:
Speaking of Gantt charts, a free application for this can be found here:
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: New here, with something (hopefully) helpful to share...

Postby emspace » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:29 pm

Oh! I love Mindly! I’d been using it on my iPad until I smashed it. And recently, I discovered they’ve launched a Mac desktop app, and I’ve been trying to talk myself into shelling out for it.

But as a mind mapper, unlike many many others I’ve tried and used over 20 years, it greatly simplifies the mapping process by reducing the options to customize the layout, but still defaulting to a clear and easy to read and follow design. That means less time futzing with moving ideas around and lining things up and picking colours and fonts, etc. and more time just letting the ideas flow.

Love it! I cosign your endorsement.

Okay, now I’m baby steps closer to buying the app… :lol:
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners