A 21-year-old Scanner?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

A 21-year-old Scanner?

Postby HNazei » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:20 am

Hi everyone,

I wrote this email to Barbara, but maybe you too can help me figuring out what's going on..

Until two weeks ago, I didn’t know why I used to change my mind so often : from becoming an excellent illusionist, to a photographer traveling the world, to a dj producer showing his tracks on stage. Now I understand why. I read the book carefully and did all the exercises.
However, I don’t recognize which one I am (even though the most similar to me is the wanderer and the jack-of-all-trades), because I found characteristics of me in almost everyone.

I don’t know what to do with my life (I’ve been focusing on my personal growth since I was 16 and I’m still doing it) because all of the things that I read about Scanners are, first, about people older than me, and second, a little bit confusing.
There is only one thing I’m sure about : follow my heart and my intuition.
Here comes the problem though..
I come from Italy (Rome) but I’m a student in the Free University of Bozen (second year now).
I don’t regret anything about this, considering that coming here took me where I am now (spiritually and physically), but since I did this for my mother and for my future.. it is not what I really want. Actually, it is not what I want at all! I hate following lectures and being told what to do..

If you ask me what I want to do now, I would answer :
- Physically, I would leave the university and have a spiritual path or journey somewhere
- By heart, I would do what the present moment gives me, without thinking about the future
- Logically, I would finish the university until I get a degree and then leave (here I fear the loss of my Scanner
potentialities because I have to wait a lot of time)

When I came studying here, I adapted myself to the routine, in order to get the things done.
I don’t want to adapt anymore. I want to be myself. I want to grow more. I want to travel.
I want to follow a similar path that Steve Jobs did. I have the potential to do it!! We all have!!
I want to make a difference.

Thanks in advance..

Matteo
HNazei
New User
New User

Re: A 21-year-old Scanner?

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:59 am

Hi Matteo, and welcome!

I'm pretty sure my daughter is a scanner, and she's trying to figure out what college to go to (or whether to go to college). She applied mostly to non-traditional schools where she'll have more flexibility in choosing what courses to take. Otherwise, I'd imagine that going to college would be like going off to a four-year prison.

So back to you.... I wonder if your university offers a "study abroad" program? If you can take advantage of that type of opportunity, it should break up the monotony. And/or maybe you could alter your concentration (major) to something field-oriented, perhaps the study of certain indigenous cultures, particularly their spiritual practices.

My favorite thing to tell young folks who are trying to figure out what to study is this: It might not matter what you pick. Most likely the thing field you'll be working in is something you've never heard of or hasn't been invented yet.

And the age thing.... Well you might not have as much autonomy as one of us older folks. OTOH, you can be more flexible than most of us since you have no spouse or children or house (I assume) to provide for.

Blessings and Peace
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby HNazei » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:36 am

Thanks SquarePeg, I really appreciate your answer!
I'm looking for an Erasmus (study abroad program) and it could be an awesome possibility.
Thanks again for your advice, I needed one.
I wish good luck to your daughter, she is fortunate having you!
HNazei
New User
New User

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:16 am

There are a some people who know at a very young age what they want to do with their lives. Most of us don't.

At 21, I think most people should be scanners. There are so many things that a person cannot know until he/she does them. I hope you get to do all three. I hope you get the year abroad. It sounds as if you need a change in your life right now. And I hope you get the university degree. But all of these are questions for you to decide, and not me. Good luck.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners