Any Plate-Spinners Out There?

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Any Plate-Spinners Out There?

Postby MaryThompson63 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:59 pm

Hey Everyone!

I recently reviewed the descriptions in Barbara Sher's book and I've decided that I best fit what she calls a Plate-Spinner. Always lots of projects/interests going at the same time.

I used to assume I was a Jack-of-All-Trades, since I always want to learn everything and jump from project to project. However, I realize that there's a handful of general topics I rotate between, so I'm more of a cyclical than a sequential. And I'm never happy doing just one thing. I'm happiest when I have several projects going on at once and can jump between them as needed or desired.

What I've got in the pipeline at the moment? A how-to book on calculating the dimensions and 3D-printing arches, building a dollhouse-scale toe pincher coffin (with the prospect of making a how-to guide for that as well), an anniversary plaque to give my husband for our 34th anniv. later this week, an acrylic sunflower painting, getting my Etsy store set up, making beaded bookmarks, and that's just the top of the list... there's several more things on back burners as well as lots of ideas for books to write and things to make.

Any other Plate-Spinners out there? I'd love to hear what all you've got going on.

Mary.
-----
Mary Thompson
http://www.maryelizabeththompson.net

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." -- Pablo Picasso
MaryThompson63
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Any Plate-Spinners Out There?

Postby emspace » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:58 pm

How Mary! I’m a Plate-Spinner, but also a Sybil, and some others.

I’m currently taking a course on how to draw the human figure based on anatomy principles rather than a model. The course is run as a comic book bootcamp, but the ideas will apply to any kind of illustrator. It’s an intense course and one of the most challenging I’ve done since university. The intensity for me is trying to draw as fast as everyone else. I think I have more anatomy knowledge than any other student, but I’m by far the worst drawer.

I’m also learning how to produce and shoot compelling corporate videos, as well as learning to make interesting motion graphics.

I’m developing a beginner photography course and print material for it. Unlike other books, workshops, classes, etc., I’m trying to come at it from an experiential angle, instead of technical and theory based. It’s incredibly challenging. Everyone learned it by understanding the physics, but I have a learner who is challenging me to find a way to teach it from a practical hands-on way instead, because the usual way has never sunk in for her.

(I’ve applied for a job to teach beginner photography part-time, but I won’t know if I get a second interview for a while. Obviously, I’m interested in finding out how they teach it.)

I’m taking an online course called Storytelling For Bloggers, hoping to get better at writing interesting story-based articles and posts. I’m hoping to be able to write compelling stories for some travel photo books I’d like to have printed. I have so many past trips to make books from, but I never have because they’re all just photos and no copy. I realise many people are only interested in the pictures anyway, but for historical purposes, I’d like there to be written record of those trips, but not a boring one.

I’ve somehow gotten myself into an organizing role for a volunteer team (of storytellers!) for an org for which I’ve photographed for the past 4 years. I’m not the best choice for this role, but I think I’m only in it because I’ve volunteered the longest out of everyone. The main festival is the first weekend of May, so it’s not that long of a commitment, though there could be a lot to do in the next 8 weeks.

Finally, out of learning about filmmaking and storytelling, I’ve gotten back into going to the movies, especially less mainstream ones.

Aside from also being on the hook for finishing a friend’s WordPress website redesign, this is about it for right now.
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:20 pm

Wow, so impressive! Good luck with all that!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby emspace » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:06 pm

SquarePeg wrote:Wow, so impressive! Good luck with all that!

I should start logging things in the success forums! I’m having a hard time keeping us. As usual. :roll:

I forgot that I also promised to do a music CD package for someone, plus committed to being an online moderator for an online community. At least that last one pays! :lol:
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby MaryThompson63 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:49 am

Wow emspace! That all sounds terrific and right up my alley, too. I also do some photography as well as music on and off... mostly nature photography to paint from, birds mostly, but also any other living things. I have a biology degree and living things are fascinating. (I'm also currently in my last semester of a MA in philosophy; my special interests are in philosophy of science, biology, psychology, and artificial intelligence.)

The music I'm doing at the moment (a recent addition to the list) is for my daughter who is planning a YouTube series on Mixed Media and wanted a theme song. I'll probably get that recorded in GarageBand later today.

My husband and I make a point of going out to a movie every other weekend, and we alternate picking the movie. He picks a lot of Hollywood SciFi and Superhero movies. I pick the smaller, independent, non-mainstream movies. My last pick was The Lady in the Van - a wonderful film, btw. I highly recommend it.

Where is the course Storytelling for Bloggers? That sounds interesting.
-----
Mary Thompson
http://www.maryelizabeththompson.net

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." -- Pablo Picasso
MaryThompson63
New Poster
New Poster

Postby emspace » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:39 pm

Hi Mary,

Sorry, I didn’t come back — so busy in the spring!

The Storytelling For Bloggers online course was hosted by WeCreate.global http://wecreate.global/courses-home/?action=register It’s not currently available but it will probably come back at some point, possibly next year?

Good for you with your music! I’ve been thinking that I want to learn more about songwriting and how that works. I took 8 years of piano and 2 years of theory, and still, the practice and theory are completely separated in my head. It’s like I have a split brain when it comes to music. *sigh*

How did the turn out?
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:34 am

Hi, emspace,

Under success stories, we're trying to post successes that we, the posters on the Boards, have had. Is it okay if I post about you going to Botswana? I'll probably use your words. Also, would you like me to post about any of the things you've just mentioned - starting a beginning photography class. Good to hear from you. I almost missed these posts.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners