To young to be a Scanner...

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

To young to be a Scanner...

Postby Schlingeline » Thu May 05, 2016 8:51 am

Hi, I decided to take this post down. because I do not know how to delete it and it felt unappropriate to me now.
I still think there are different hardships to being a joung Scanner and a millenial at that.
But maybe I'll find ways to help me and other joung people who struggle with their multiple passions.

Until then,
all the best Michelle
Last edited by Schlingeline on Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schlingeline
New User
New User

Re: To young to be a Scanner...

Postby SquarePeg » Fri May 06, 2016 10:10 am

Welcome, Michelle. I'm sorry that you are in a situation that seems bleak.

I like your description of the "Craft Café" because it reminds me of the "Art Bars" that we have in our area. An "Art Bar" is specific to painting, but I can imagine a business that offers a variety of projects. It's a place that someone can go to learn how to paint a specific painting, while also snacking and socializing with friends. These are upscale places that cater to adults, so the snacks are cheese and crackers and wine, not gummy bears and juice boxes. ;) All materials are supplied: canvas, paints, brushes. Here's a link to one place that some friends went to recently: https://sceneartbar.com/ These are real businesses that are actually popular -- there are three of them within a reasonable drive from my home. So do you have them in Germany? Maybe you can be the first to run one. You can say "they are all the rage in America" if it will help. (Maybe not, especially if Trump becomes President.)

We also have "Maker Spaces" which are more for inventions, gadgets, technological innovation. But folks can also go there to work on projects that require large or expensive machinery, so artists use the resources, too. Here's another link to one of these: http://www.makehartford.com/

I sense feelings of despair, worthlessness, low self-esteem.... I wonder if you need to make a break with that location and study abroad. My daughter (18 years old) is a scanner, and we've been looking at an amazing college called Hampshire College. It's exactly what scanners need in order to pursue interdisciplinary studies. Students can combine (for example) a passion for making art and music, social work and childhood education and devise a novel art/music-assisted therapy program and study its effects on the local community. Yet another link: https://www.hampshire.edu/ . Yes, it's far away and freaking expensive. But it doesn't hurt to apply (no "SAT" is needed) and they'd love a foreign scanner such as yourself. Maybe you could get a full scholarship! Dream big, Dear One!

- SP
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Schlingeline » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi SquerePeg and thank you for your reply!
I am sorry it took me so long to answer..my comment was written in a moment of feeling lost and I think it's reflected in every passage.
For the most part I would like to appologise for all these depressing thoughts, but I cannot deny that I felt this way.. And still sometimes do.

Life still seams pretty bleak and I could not jet bring myself to get back to all my hobbies..I've ditched almost everything I love to do. But the reasons behind that should probably be discussed with more professional personal.

I just felt like I could not leave this long comment standing by itself without recollecting what I wrote there. Especially if anybody goes through all the effort of reading this long monologue! (Thanks again for your attention!)

Right now I've decided to drop out of University and start a "free social year" where I'll work with teenagers in a youth club. This service is usually intended for orientation after you finished school but I still need the orientation.. especially after my Au Pair (half a) year did not turn out so well. But I gotta try it out, right? ;)

So before "I am run away with all my thoughts", as Sir William Collins would say, I'll take my leave now. I hope that the euphoria I experienced when I first learned about scanners will come back and I'll figure out how to be one.
But we all have to, so good luck to everyone and have a wonderful day! ;)
Schlingeline
New User
New User

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:46 am

Thanks for returning and replying!

"...work with teenagers in a youth club."

To paraphrase the Dalai Lama (I think), "The path to happiness is through service to others." So it seems like the right thing for you to do at this time.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:33 pm

Hi Michelle,

Welcome. Many times when people first read Barbara's books, at first it seems so exciting, and then all of the sudden, it seems daunting, when you start looking at the obstacles. I think it's safe for me to say that many Barbara Sher followers feel that initial exhilaration and then the big plunge afterwards.

Yes, there's lots of despair in your first post; but you also have lots of good ideas and really interesting goals and dreams.

Keep coming back. We'd love to see if we can help you with this.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby RonG » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:27 am

I have bipolar disorder and it sounds like you might possibly have it as well. Your idea to see a professional counselor is a good one, even if you don't have BP disorder. it might give you a clearer understanding of yourself. Hope this helps.
RonG
New User
New User

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners