Big List

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Big List

Postby cubeconvict » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:45 pm

Among my other interests :D I love 'Making' and doing all kinds of things with my hands. Which independent projects should be listed as individual lines in the 'Big List'? For example, if I want to learn to 3D print replacement parts for my remote control, but I also want to create 3D prints to help with board games, are those one line or two? If I want to build a clay pizza oven and a brick pizza oven, one line or two?

Or if we get more broad, if I like bookbinding and stencil making, is that two entries, or is it 'papercraft'?

The difference between these could change the size of my list by an order of magnitude!
cubeconvict
New User
New User

Re: Big List

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:35 am

The answer is it doesn't matter. Whatever works best for you. If the list is more manageable using one line instead of two, do it that way. It's your list. There's no list police and no list teacher with a red pen. And if it's more impressive listing everything and having something huge when you're done, do it that way.

:D

Hope you're having fun.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby cubeconvict » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:46 pm

Of course, I wouldn't want a visit by the list police.

I'm also a little bit confused by what are supposed to be the 'weight' of the things on the list. Some examples in the book are things like 'build a rocketship to the moon' and other examples are closer to 'say hello to someone new today.' Many of the things on a Big List aren't much of a challenge and I don't need psychological motivation to do them. I know that sometimes it serves as a 'ive got free time, what do I do?' list and sometimes it is a bucket list. I guess that is what confuses me. Both? And? Or? Peanuts?
cubeconvict
New User
New User

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:38 pm

Would it be a bother to create two lists? If each one would be useful, of course.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby cubeconvict » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:34 am

I do already keep a 'project journal' notebook that is specifically for making/building/cooking projects. I started from the front to make brainstorming lists and go from the back, journaling which ones I have done along with any notes that are applicable.
cubeconvict
New User
New User

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:46 am

How's it coming along?
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners