AWESOME SUCCESS STORY FROM CANADA

A read-only forum where Success Team Leaders write about their team members' Successes.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

AWESOME SUCCESS STORY FROM CANADA

Postby MDG » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:51 pm

Submitted by Mahara Registered Sher Success Team Leader Kelowna, B.C., Canada Here is series of questions asked to a graduate of a Success Team run by Joyanna (jojoanthony@telus.net), the Director of the Canadian Success Team program, about the steps they took towards their dream: QUESTION 1: How did you figure out what you wanted to do? I always knew I wanted to write; I always *wrote* for that matter, even though I never pursued publication or considered myself a writer. I loved being read stories as a child, and when I learned to read, it was no jump to realize that I had learned to *write* as well. My mom has my first book, written, illustrated, and stapled by me when I was in second grade. QUESTION 2: Describe the path this took you on. Writing was for me, a hobby of sorts. I had penpals and wrote volumes each month. I and my friends, all literate types, wrote fan fiction for our favourite tv show and singing group. I wrote poetry, I wrote parody, I wrote skits for fun for my friends. But I never thought of myself as a writer, nor did I seek publication. I never considered what I wrote as suitable or good enough, just drivel I poured out for fun. That didn't change till I was much older: I am 48 now and my first book, co-authored, is going to be published the end of this month (EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!). The publisher is interested in other, individually-authored books from both me and my co-writer, so this seems to be the beginning. I have another work for which I am now doing production notes; I will be working to bring this one to animation. QUESTION 3: What did you learn? I dismissed everyone's praise as being invalid, coming from friends/family/coworkers as it did, reasoning that b/c they loved me, they could hardly say, \"Well, good grief, Jean, this is purely garbage! You're no writer!\" I should perhaps have trusted them to tell me the truth; maybe I should have had the courage to believe that I *could* successfully write. However, I believe things happen at the right time in life, so I'm not particularly upset that things seem to be moving forward now instead of when I was 25. I was a different person at 25 and I'm rather glad that *that woman's* work isn't on record!! QUESTION 4: What would you do differently if you had it to do over again? Oy, what a question. Not much, actually. I'd have written more throughout my life instead of putting it aside for years at a time. I'd have moved forward on publishing my educational stuff and maybe kid lit. But certainly, I'm glad I was never in a position to have my spiritual/philosophical work taken seriously until now! QUESTION 5: What advice would you give someone else searching for their wishes and dreams? Easiest question in the world. Join a success team! While our book was already on the spring list when I had the opportunity to become part of a team forming in Toronto, I still regarded it as rather a fluke and myself as a hobby writer. Within a few short weeks, all that changed. I was encouraged to show my own work to someone who was in a position to know whether it was good enough to publish (and was floored to discover that it's actually suitable for animation as a feature). Through the self-work and the group and Joyanna's feedback, my entire self-perception grew until now I answer automatically, \"Me? I'm a writer...\" The books are tremendously helpful, and I love them and recommend them, but there is no substitute for another living human being--or several--listening and responding to you, giving you ideas and feedback, and welcoming yours. The process of watching each other take risks and face fears on our way to those long-awaited dreams is more powerful than I could have imagined. Exciting, fun, inspiring...and EFFECTIVE! Jean
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Any updates?

Postby Beth L » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:51 pm

Mahara, I was so glad to see your posting that you are a published writer. I am new as a Success Team Leader and am finally in a position that I can spend more time writing stories from my childhood. I know your posting was from a while ago, but do you have any updates on how your career as an author has progressed? Thanks, Beth
Beth L
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Any updates?

Postby Beth L » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:51 pm

Mahara, I was so glad to see your posting that you are a published writer. I am new as a Success Team Leader and am finally in a position that I can spend more time writing stories from my childhood. I know your posting was from a while ago, but do you have any updates on how your career as an author has progressed? Thanks, Beth
Beth L
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby MDG » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:30 am

Hi, Beth! My career, so far, consists of a lot of practice...which is a success story in itself. At one time, I would think of something I wanted to say, even the very words, and forget them in the next minute. Now they remain with me, as long as I need them...or, even better words replace them. At one time I would write out a piece, and then take scissors to the page, rearranging paragraphs and sentences, and scrapping some...then rewriting the page to reconnect the writing I wanted to keep. It was work...work I enjoyed, but very laborious, and time-consuming. Practice has changed all that...particularly writing on Bulletin Boards, because there, here, I feel I am talking to real people. Writing became conversation...and I feel I have an immediate and long-term responsibility to the reader, all readers, as long as the Internet lasts. Since I address subjects that are real, I have had the great good luck to find that I don't have to worry about what I said last time, by simply telling the truth. Even the stories I use to illustrate my points are as factual as I can remember them...even though I do reduce the number of words and sentences I use to tell them, over time. I also give credit to the originator of a thought or story, at least acknowledging that I didn't think of it, or experience it, myself. I've been complimented on my writing by individuals, and my 'work' has been occasionally published in an online newsletter...not necessarily for its style and word-crafting, but for the points-of-view and suggestions on the subject at hand. I joined the local branch of the Canadian Authors' Association...but they would only have me as an 'associate' member...because I have not been 'paid' for any writing. :( That was very ego-deflating, in some ways. Still, at one workshop, I heard an intake of breath at my reading of a descriptive piece I had written, purely from fancy, five minutes earlier. I felt proud, I must tell you. That is the acid test of an author, I think...if you are sometimes certain that your writing is excellent. At one time I used to wonder when a piece is finished. It seemed that however many times I returned to a piece of my work, I would see different and preferable ways of altering it. Some, which I had kept private, just didn't work at all. These were usually stories...often started from dreams, although they strayed from the dream into day-dreams. I often use old-fashioned homilies and terms from my childhood, to make people hearing them for the first time, smile. ...Like 'scream bloody murder'...I thought that so cool when I heard it at age seven or eight. Life is usually humorous, even in the darkest moments, if one can just step aside for a moment. Humor lifts, wonderfully. The best advice I can offer is to practice to your heart's content. Write on cut-open paper bags (both sides), if you must. Send letters and gifts of words to everyone...honoring their uniqueness and entertaining them kindly. There is so little affection in most writing that people will love you for your thoughtfulness and sincerity. I sometimes call people endearing names in conversation, simply in case they need to hear them. We can continue to keep our best words to ourselves, but the world is so much poorer if we do. Write for yourself, and share widely. Follow your imagination...it is the heart of your gift. Thanks so much for the opportunity to talk about this, Beth. And congratulations on your life changes. Enjoy! Mahara
Last edited by MDG on Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:50 am

Oh, I nearly forgot... ...Jump up and run around the house, inside or out, every once in a while. I've noticed we weren't born with roots, and a little trot refreshes all the creative juices. :mrgreen:
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: AWESOME SUCCESS STORY FROM CANADA

Postby Beth L » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:15 pm

Mahara, Thanks for the inspiration. I just finished Part II of Barbara's WriteSpeak, so I am roughing out a book about writing one's own life stories. Hopefully it will continue to go well. What part of Canada are you in? We are hoping to visit western Canada this summer, and possibly all the way to Alaska. Beth L
Beth LaMie Personal Historian, Author and Speaker Author of Granny's Guide to Fun & Fabulous Family Stories website: www.bethlamie.com Blog: http://onestoryatatime.blogspot.com/ Twitter: www.twitter.com/bethlamie
Beth L
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby MDG » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:04 pm

Hi, Beth, Great news about Write/Speak! I am so happy for you! You couldn't have a better guide than Barbara. From the first moment I heard her on PBS, I knew I had to read this amazing woman, and her discoveries...and see her. Pure magic, yet so practical...and true! We live in Kelowna, B.C...about 350 miles inland and north of Vancouver, B.C., where you might catch a ship to Alaska. Do go to Alaska if you possibly can. I've heard fine things about it, and it certainly is a whole 'nother world from anywhere more southerly. Have you read any Robert Service? He fell in love with the North, as a young man, and wrote in a unique style that no one could possibly forget. I once worked in a small photography studio, in Vancouver, where I saw his pictures. Such a plain face for someone who wrote 'The Cremation of Sam Magee'! Yet, there was a twinkle about his eyes... Two more books I love about the wilderness, and how it was settled...Laura Berton's, 'I Married the North'...and 'Three Against the Wilderness'...although there must be many more. There was one about settling the coast islands, the story of a young couple who wanted to create safe harbor for pleasure boats, and how they managed to do that, on a shoestring. Wish I could remember the title. Of course, there are many more modern stories, as well, but I fell in love with the old and pioneering tales, years ago, and it's really hard to update. :mrgreen: One Canadian you shouldn't miss if you can possibly see one of his presentations... ... http://www.garrettwasny.com He lives in Vancouver. He is a genius at many things, but especially speaking. Don't let his photo throw you off! That's just a little joke he plays. I've long wanted to take Barbara to see him speak, and him her. They'd hit it off right away, I'm sure. Hm-m-m... Maybe Garrett has his, 'Mining the Internet' on video. I could send him, 'Creating Your Second Life After 40...(or anytime)'. It's the best Barbara I have ever seen...nominated for an Emmy, too. Don't you just love working on your book?! I have a heck of a time getting myself off the computer! My best, Beth. M.
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Beth L » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:40 pm

M. I do love working on my book, and at the same time a bit anxious about fleshing out my ideas. As soon as I am ready to start teleclasses on my topics, I will ask Barbara to open a forum on her bulletin board, so I expect to get some interested people to attend the calls. I really appreciate the books you suggested & did bookmark Garrett's website so I can check it out. Once our plans are firmed up a bit, I'd love to ask your opinion about certain areas to visit while out west in Canada. Thanks for such a quick reply. You rock! Beth L
Beth LaMie Personal Historian, Author and Speaker Author of Granny's Guide to Fun & Fabulous Family Stories website: www.bethlamie.com Blog: http://onestoryatatime.blogspot.com/ Twitter: www.twitter.com/bethlamie
Beth L
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby MDG » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:31 pm

I just read this forum's description, and re-read this thread. I don't know how we team leaders really ought to behave, since this is a read-only forum, where we enter the stories of our Team members. Perhaps it was okay to enter the experiences of another Team leader's member. But then I got caught up in speaking about my own writing experiences. My apologies if I have overstepped the guidelines. Mahara
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Beth L » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:04 pm

Mahara, I guess I led you astray when I asked about your published work, so I'll try to keep on track better. But interesting interlude. Beth
Beth L
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby MDG » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:47 pm

You know me, Beth...always rush right in to talk about things that make me happy! Besides, I thought budding authors might like to hear about others who are getting there, however slowly. I promised myself that I would make a move in March. Self-publishing, in a very small way, is one of my objectives. So far, several of my projects are looking up. I may be as busy as the proverbial one-armed paperhanger. For me, moving and doing is SUCCESS! I thank you for noticing, and I look forward to reading your story. It's going to be a honey! My best, Mahara
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Success Stories from Registered Success Team Leaders