The Joy of Becoming an Author

A read-only forum where Success Team Leaders write about their team members' Successes.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

The Joy of Becoming an Author

Postby Beth L » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:09 pm

A year ago, my job at IBM was eliminated, along with a good portion of my personal identity as well. At 60 years old, I was too young and active for the proverbial rocking chair and suddenly having too much unstructured time on my hands was a serious concern. Fortunately, I found there was an eight-week Barbara Sher Success Team starting in my area that could help me decide what I wanted to do for the next phase of my life and even more importantly, how to get there. Much of the program is based on Wishcraft, How to Get What You Really Want by Barbara Sher. As I completed each week’s reading and exercises, I realized that what I really wanted was to become a writer. Over the years, I wrote scores of technical materials and documentation, and I have always written personal journals and short stories. During my childhood, my family did not consider my writing to be a worthwhile pastime, so I developed the habit of secretively creating stories strictly for my own enjoyment and never showed them to anyone. At one of the first Success Team meetings, each member talked about their initial goals and I said I wanted to become a writer. How refreshing -- no one made fun of my ideas. In fact, one of them asked if I had ever written anything. When I told them about my technical experience, journals and stories, she simply said, “Well then, you are a writer already.” It was amazing what a powerful impact that straightforward statement had on me. As we took turns brainstorming about our how to reach our individual goals, my dreams suddenly appeared to be attainable. We each created a simple flowchart followed by a goal calendar. Once I had assigned target dates to the major steps in the process, the dates suddenly made the plans real. No longer was this just a pie-in-the-sky pipe dream. My goals expanded to become a published author, speaker and Personal Historian. Taking several writing classes at the University of Chicago bolstered my confidence as a writer, followed by a week-long Writing Retreat with Barbara Sher and by a year-long monthly program (again with Barbara Sher) to write a book. I am thrilled to be making solid progress in my new career. My book is coming along quite nicely and will enable children to write their own family stories. For my own family, I’ve completed a book of personal vignettes and favorite recipes, and I’ve written several life stories for other people. What a difference a year makes! Now I am also a Success Team Leader. Moving out of the corporate world, albeit unwillingly, has given me the time and opportunity to spread my creative wings on a whole new career and I am excited about the endless possibilities. On second thought, make that credible probabilities. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I can succeed by doing all the things I love. For all my Ezine articles online, check out http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Beth_LaMie
Beth LaMie Personal Historian, Author and Speaker Author of Granny's Guide to Fun & Fabulous Family Stories website: www.bethlamie.com Blog: http://onestoryatatime.blogspot.com/ Twitter: www.twitter.com/bethlamie
Beth L
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Success Stories from Registered Success Team Leaders