Barbara's New Rules: Stay Tuned!

If you have a question, look here first. New users, post here first.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Postby Quest » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:00 pm

bump for newbies
Quest
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:07 pm

I concur :) Seems to happen after PBS specials
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fastalaskan » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:23 pm

A tip for new users: Sometimes new users ask things that have been covered before and it will sometimes result in low responses. It would be worthwhile to use the search function on the board to see if there is any info you can use. Sometimes the search function acts up a little and delivers white pages. Merk, the webmaster for this board says to try narrowing the search down by being specific with keywords and try searching just one forum at a time. Another trick he's told us about is to go google and type your search words: site barbarasher.com. If you want to know about cars, you would type: cars site: barbarasher.com It's also a good idea to answer others posts before stating a wish and obstacle. That's what Barbara Sher and most of this community prefers. It'll also help yourself because the users will know more about you, and be able to offer more useful suggestions. For example, whenever a certain user comes on here with her latest obstacle, I know all about her interests and dreams and I have an idea what will help. This place is just different. A cut above the rest, and that's why the rules are in place. It makes it more effective.
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for." -- John Lubbock
Fastalaskan
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:06 am

Also - remember this is not a chat room. If you create a post and someone doesn't respond right away, be patient.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Longstrider » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:28 pm

From the eye's of a noob... Who kinda followed the guidelines... And is still finding new ones. Wow!! This board is amazing. People that genuinely want to help. Real people, willing to give and really want to make a difference. Can't thank you enough. Hope I haven't overstepped my welcome or caused any grief. Please let me know if I have or if there is anything I can do to help.
Longstrider
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Longstrider » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:05 am

In responce to my browsing thru this topic I have begun to assemble a proposed "Welcome Thread" for consideration amoung the main topics. I believe I have come a long way in a short time here and I could not have managed it with each one of you. Please take a stroll through "Needs and Links" and find "Welcome to the SherBoards (under construction)" or just use this Sneaky Shortcut revision 2 is complete Rev #3 pending critics Thank you
Longstrider
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby thornpandi » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:10 am

Longstrider wrote:In responce to my browsing thru this topic I have begun to assemble a proposed "Welcome Thread"...
If you are developing this page without consulting Barbara Sher, perhaps you should save it for your own web site. I read your commentary as proprietary in tone. Also, if you are planning to create your own web site elsewhere be sure to use spell check and grammar check for typos.
thornpandi
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:40 am

The threads that are sticky in Wishes & General were sent to Barbara offline. She edited them to reflect what she wanted to say to the members of the board. They went back and forth to Barbara to edit probably six times before being approved. Then sent to Merk who posted them. I do understand your intent of wanting to help newbies to the board. The thread for "Barbara's Rules" is still in editing stage by Barbara and she hasn't posted it as yet. In the meantime, we keep bumping the "Barbaras New Rules" thread to keep people aware. As Barbara is writing a book right now, I doubt she'll get to this for a good long time.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MoreMagic » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:55 pm

Bumping this up to the top of the board in the hopes that new arrivals will find it useful.
MoreMagic
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Tough for Newbies

Postby YO » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:07 pm

As a newbie to this site. I can tell you that it is a little intimidating to post your inner most thoughts on how to help someone. I feel that there are such great advice givers out there that my 2 cents wouldn't make much of a difference. But, I guess I'm giving it a try today. After reading this post I set a goal to try to help one person a week. So I'll be out there.
YO
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Tough for Newbies

Postby Jezicka » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:39 pm

YO wrote:As a newbie to this site. I can tell you that it is a little intimidating to post your inner most thoughts on how to help someone. I feel that there are such great advice givers out there that my 2 cents wouldn't make much of a difference. But, I guess I'm giving it a try today. After reading this post I set a goal to try to help one person a week. So I'll be out there.
Terrific response, YO-- thank you so much! I don't think any of us ever feel adequate in giving advice-- but giving it your best try not only makes a lot of people feel noticed and cared for -- sometimes for the first time in their lives-- it also makes it much easier for others to help you since, in seeing your responses to others they begin to feel they 'know' you well enough to offer!
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Longstrider » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:32 pm

Sounds good YO. Just once a week? I just couldn't. I am drawn to help everywhere I go. I get myself in trouble for helping. I am a help adict. From random acts of kindness to givin it all up for a friend, I'm guilty and habitual. If I had not helped that kid learn my job I would still have it. DOAH Try a small step: A smile a day You might discover who your random act of kindness effects Longstrider
Longstrider
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:59 am

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby annasus » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:15 pm

This is a fantastic thread and I'm posting so it gets to the top of the section again. I used to be an avid poster a few years back and I was getting irritated by people who'd post questions before responding AND then they'd never come back to see what people told them. Anyways, I came back again and things seem like they're back to normal! Susanna
annasus
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Barbara's New Rules: Stay Tuned!

Postby pritamsingh98 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:49 pm

I know how upsetting it can feel to be in a rotten position (don't ask about my story, friends) and how easy it is to feel reproachful towards absolute strangers as if they owed you something. You just can't help yourself. That's how it looks to you.
pritamsingh98

Previous

Return to Resources