Searching for Kansas

Moderator: Tituba

Re: Searching for Kansas

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:47 am

Jeremy stepped back and watched her cautiously. No emotion. Not a tear. So, the great love between Vivian and Alex was over! He caught himself starting to smile and rubbed his hand across his mouth to hide it. Then he put a tentative hand back on her shoulder.
“Thanks,” she said. I just can’t think right now.”
“It hasn’t hit yet. I know.” Then Jeremy dropped his voice. “Alex was a patriot and a great warrior. His country always came first. If there was a dangerous assignment that no one else wanted, he was right there.”
“With his hands in some girl’s pants, sipping expensive Scotch, and feeding her some line about saving the U.S.A. from terrorists and baboons with bazookas!” She was screaming, more startled by her outburst than Jeremy.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:02 am

Suddenly, without realizing anything, Vivian found herself up and pacing.
“Where did that come from?” Jeremy chuckled. Yes, the romance was definitely over.
“I’ll bet Fauzia’s father killed him and made it look like suicide. I hope it was painful. I hope he suffered. I hope he thought of me.”
Then the dam burst, and she began to cry. And scream. And cry. As if all the hurts and disappointments of her marriage marched in front of her. And all the love. Because she loved him, had always loved him, always would love him. In spite of it all she loved him. Rats! And now he was dead and there was nothing she could ever do about it. She sobbed, and cried, and screamed, and paced. She couldn’t stop. The minutes passed. She wiped the tears with the sleeve of her blouse, and kept on crying. She tried to stop. She loved him. Damn it. After everything he’d done, she loved him. If only she’d said something different, maybe he wouldn’t have gone. Still crying, she sat back down on the desk, a sort of gesture of defeat to the pain.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:53 pm

Jeremy leaned over and put an arm around her shoulder. She didn’t draw back. He drew it around her body into a hug. An innocent hug. A friendly hug. “Hush now. It’s all right. It’s okay. It’s okay.”
“I - I can’t stop . . . crying. I’m such a mess.”
“I’m here. It’s okay.” He lifted her chin and stared into her eyes. Vulnerable. So vulnerable. He drew her closer to him. And, as he kissed her mouth, his left hand cupped her breast. “I’m here. It’s okay. It’ll all be okay.”
“Fucker!” Vivian screamed. She jumped to her feet.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:54 pm

“It’s okay.” Jeremy’s voice was calming, soothing. “You’re okay. Everything’s okay. He’s dead and we aren’t.” He winked at her in promise and reached out his arms.
And she smacked him.
With her right hand balled into a fist, she punched him. The old Vivian would have worried about breaking a nail or hurting his feelings, probably in that order. But the new Vivian just slugged him. Her fist landed on his cheek. It wasn’t a slap.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:32 pm

. She had socked him; hit him as hard as she could. They both backed away stunned. Vivian couldn’t believe that she had done it.
Jeremy put his hand to his cheek.
Vivian’s first urge was to apologize. She fought it.
Jeremy glared at her. “Bitch! No one pulls that kind of shit on me.”
“Get out of here right now. Get the hell out of here,” she said.
“You’re gonna be really sorry you did that. You’re just a pity screw - you know that, don’t you?” “And I only gave you the time of day for Alex’s sake. Only now he’s dead and you’re not worth my spit.”
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:18 am

Finally, Austin became aware of the screaming and entered the office. “What the . . .”
Jeremy was holding his cheek. “Crazy bitch,” he muttered under his breath, and walked out.
“You’re really going to have to quit decking people like that,” Austin said. “You’re not going to do any more punching, are you?”
Vivian shrugged.
“I’m getting you a glass of water,” Austin said. “Then I’ll drive you home. Don’t worry about your car. Leave it here. I’ll pick you up tomorrow.”
“I’m all right. Honest.” She seemed to have quieted down, for the time being at least.
Austin wanted to put his arm around Vivian, but thought better of it. “I’ll drive you home. No arguing. And don’t hit me. Because I don’t really think I could hit you back. It’s just not kosher.” He got the water for her, and he brought Vivian a box of tissues even though she was no longer crying. “I’ll be back as soon as I get the specimens into the fridge.”
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:18 pm

In the car, Vivian told Austin everything that had happened. “I don’t know what came over me. When Jeremy was telling me how wonderful Alex was, and calling him a warrior and everything, it suddenly hit me what a shit Alex had been, and how much I loved him anyway.” Vivian stared out the window. “And then Jeremy felt my breast and I hit him. I don’t know why I did it, but I’d do it again.” She turned toward Austin. “It’s weird that Jeremy would get that letter instead of me. But the rest of the story doesn’t make any sense either.” Austin just shrugged.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:21 am

Inside her house, Austin made a cup of hot tea with sugar and a good dose of brandy.
“You don’t have to stay,” Vivian told him.
“I’ll just hang out for a bit, until I’m sure you’re okay. Drink your tea.”
Suddenly Vivian was exhausted. She flicked on the TV and flopped onto the couch. She sipped her tea, pretending to watch the news. Minutes later, she put down the cup, closed her eyes, and fell sound asleep. Austin found a quilt and covered her with it, then left a note. “I locked up and took the key. Call me at the lab or at my home if you need anything. And you can call in the night if you need to.”
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:40 am

The last straw. Weasel always got what he wanted and no one messed with him. Now he needed Vivian - just to prove that he could get her. He’d fuck her, and make her really sorry that she’d hit him. Then he’d figure some way to humiliate her and dump her. But first he had to win her over. And in order for that to happen, she had to get over Alex.
What was this hold Alex had on her? Weasel considered the question as he sipped a single-malt Scotch. For that matter, what was that spell that Alex used to cast on everyone? If Alex had said that the South will rise again, half the nation would buy Confederate bonds.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:41 pm

Somehow Alex’s words had bypassed people’s brains. Screw it. Alex was dead, and he was still making Weasel boiling mad. Weasel downed the Scotch, poured himself another; then downed it as well. The burn was pleasant, and he surrendered himself to a drowsy bliss as the liquor worked its magic. The night was meant for drinking. That much was obvious.
Several glasses later, Weasel decided that he needed to kill Vivian himself. He kept a rifle in a gun rack over the mantle, but where had he stashed the bullets? He staggered over to the hall closet and began digging through boxes looking for ammunition. But instead of bullets, he came across the funky old book he’d copped from Alex’s house, Chesterville’s Complete Book of Spells.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:15 pm

If it hadn’t been for the Scotch, Weasel wouldn’t have given the tome a second glance. But in his inebriated state, Weasel decided that the book held the secret to his revenge on Alex and Vivian. Payback time! Weasel clutched the book in his arms, hugging it to his chest like a long-lost brother. He rubbed his cheek against the leather, then let it fall onto the floor. It opened to the page that had been read most often: “Remordia—The Craft to Convince.”
“The power to dupe, deceive, and mislead the multitude or the single listener. This spell bestows upon its master the power to invent reality and truth. No matter how preposterous the tale, the conjuror will be believed. The gift is yours for a price.”
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:05 pm

There was more, Weasel skimmed all the cautionary verbiage. “Flesh rotting from thy writhing body.” yada yada yada . “Hell and damnation lie not in chasms of flames, but in the human heart.”
Fueled by the Scotch, he shouted the word, “Remordia,” and his mind seemed to explode in a euphoric trance, as the Scotch and his hatred of Alex took control. Like shots of lightning, anger and rapture set his soul on fire. And, in this mad frenzy, Weasel lurched drunkenly, about his living room proclaiming, “Power over the world and everything in it, living and nonliving, is mine, for I am master, king, and god of the universe.”
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:35 pm

He raised his glass and toasted himself, the master, king and god of the universe.
Then he passed out on the carpet.
Weasel didn’t dream often. Certainly, he’d never experienced dreams like these:
He mounted a podium, fashioned of oak, and high off the ground. He climbed and climbed, and he got winded before reaching the top. Of course, he wasn’t completely naked. He wore hot pink shorts and a bikini bra, and no one seemed to care. He was the Weasel. He could carry it off. He could carry anything off. Then he began talking. He spoke before a crowd of seven hundred, and they loved him. He hadn’t actually prepared anything. What he said made no sense, but he talked anyway, and they cheered.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:21 pm

. Like the emperor with his new clothes. Now Weasel understood the old fairy tale. The emperor didn’t need any clothes. He was the emperor. No one would question anything he said or did. He could promise to resurrect Christ or to decimate a nation. He was god or maybe the antichrist. It didn’t matter he was all-powerful and everyone loved him.
As he gazed at his adoring, screaming crowd, Weasel realized something in a flash of such insight as only other gods enjoyed. This crowd was too small; his sights were set too low. Ahead of him, a second podium loomed, this one of pure gold, and miles above the earth. He climbed this golden podium and this time it was as if his feet were winged and he was weightless. He all but flew to the top, and gazed down over the whole earth - his whole earth. Then he began to speak.
“The secret to my greatness . . .” He paused and the crowds all leaned forward.
“Fuck the law.” Again, he paused.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:37 pm

“I can kill. I can steal. Hang with me, and you can too.” With a wink and a laugh, he had them. We can walk through the streets shooting, and everyone will cheer. For you and me, the rules don’t count.” He nudged the lackey standing beside him. “Right, Amos?” Nudge, nudge. The man nodded and grinned even though his name wasn’t Amos.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Becoming Writers and Speakers