First Time Authors

Moderator: Tituba

Re: First Time Authors

Postby SquarePeg » Sat May 18, 2019 6:02 am

Thanks for your support! I chose November because of NaNoWriMo. The only thing, it's not a novel -- it's a "psuedo parody diet" book.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat May 18, 2019 1:25 pm

SquarePeg wrote:it's a "psuedo parody diet" book.
That sounds like fun!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue May 21, 2019 3:58 pm

I hope nanowrimo works for you. I'll try to support your writing the way you supported me. This is exciting.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue May 28, 2019 3:25 pm

Thank you! Now to combat those pesky obstacles....
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue May 28, 2019 6:34 pm

SquarePeg wrote: Now to combat those pesky obstacles....

Which are.......? What can we help you with?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed May 29, 2019 9:00 am

Square Peg, there's a camp Nanowrimo coming up for the month of July. it similar to November's Nanowrimo, except that you can choose your goal. It doesn't have to be 50,000 words. And you can set your goal for minutes, hours and some other things I can't remember. Also, you get cabin mates if you want. You can talk to cabin mates the same way we talk on Barbara's Boards. I'm in a cabin with two other people, friends from a couple of years back. You could join our cabin if you want. If you get assigned to a cabin at random, you'll get - I think - twelve cabin mates. I find cabin mates very encouraging.

Anyway, just a suggestion,
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed May 29, 2019 5:47 pm

Hi Elaine, I found https://campnanowrimo.org/ so I see that it's not a physical camp but a virtual one. That's nice!

One reason for deferring until November was so that I could participate in the official / proper NaNoWriMo. There are other reasons, as well:
  • November is the month I'm accustomed to writing in.
  • November is when daylight hours lessen and I need ample distraction from the resulting depression.
  • November is when a big program at work should be fully into production and won't need my attention.
  • November should see me "fully cured" of whatever malaise I've been experiencing.(1)
But there is still the main obstacle, which stems from my wife's numerous and bizarre health issues. (Thank you for asking, inspiresuccess.)

Maybe I can start in August or September at the earliest.

(1) If you've followed the weigh-ins on my blog, you'll notice that I lost about 25 pounds and 5% body fat since the beginning of the year, and I went down at least two waist sizes. That will enable me to, once again, burn the candle at both ends.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:42 pm

Here's an update.

My wife has been dealing with an open wound that's very slow to heal. I've been changing dressings for over three years. In January I saw exceptional progress in healing, and I predicted it would be healed on June 21.

Well, there was a complication in April / May that caused the healing to stall and the wound to deteriorate.

So everything is (again) on the backburner.

Last week I decided I would join NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month). It used to be hosted on Blogher, but now it's homeless.

So I'm incredibly discouraged.

Oh well.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:25 pm

As I pointed out, there is no NaBloPoMo. However, I figure I can blog every day in November regardless. And I never did bother to cross-post on the Blogher platform, so the only difference is that there isn't a clearly defined community. But maybe I'll pick up a few former NaBloPoMo'ers as I go.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:51 pm

SquarePeg wrote:My wife has been dealing with an open wound that's very slow to heal. I've been changing dressings for over three years. In January I saw exceptional progress in healing, and I predicted it would be healed on June 21. Well, there was a complication in April / May that caused the healing to stall and the wound to deteriorate.

I'm so sorry to hear that. It's got to be unbelievably challenging for both of you. Sending love and hugs.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:53 pm

SquarePeg wrote: If you've followed the weigh-ins on my blog, you'll notice that I lost about 25 pounds and 5% body fat since the beginning of the year, and I went down at least two waist sizes.

Whoohoo! Please go post that in Success Stories here on the boards so we can celebrate with you and so you can give hope to others out there who are working on their weight.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:16 am

Square Peg, I'll be part of your community.

My immediate challenge is to get my downloaded novel into a place in my computer where I can work on it. There's a computer help program in El Cerrito tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get that squared away (no pun intended - it just came out that way) Anyway, I need to get my blog back up and running.

I am so sorry to hear about your wife's wound. Good wishes to you both (also prayers if you like prayers)
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:00 pm

inspiresuccess wrote:
SquarePeg wrote:My wife has been dealing with an open wound that's very slow to heal. I've been changing dressings for over three years. In January I saw exceptional progress in healing, and I predicted it would be healed on June 21. Well, there was a complication in April / May that caused the healing to stall and the wound to deteriorate.

I'm so sorry to hear that. It's got to be unbelievably challenging for both of you. Sending love and hugs.

Thank you!
inspiresuccess wrote:
SquarePeg wrote: If you've followed the weigh-ins on my blog, you'll notice that I lost about 25 pounds and 5% body fat since the beginning of the year, and I went down at least two waist sizes.

Whoohoo! Please go post that in Success Stories here on the boards so we can celebrate with you and so you can give hope to others out there who are working on their weight.

You caught me "red-handed" shoveling spoonfuls of Ben & Jerry's ice cream into my mouth. But anyway, I'll try to sound successful. :)
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:Square Peg, I'll be part of your community.

My immediate challenge is to get my downloaded novel into a place in my computer where I can work on it. There's a computer help program in El Cerrito tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get that squared away (no pun intended - it just came out that way) Anyway, I need to get my blog back up and running.

I am so sorry to hear about your wife's wound. Good wishes to you both (also prayers if you like prayers)

Thank you for the good wishes and prayers! I hope the computer help program was, er, helpful!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:25 pm

Hi, Square, Peg, I posted on your blog. (as Molly - yes, she died a couple of years ago, but she's my blog name, so I just went with it.)

I'd love it if you'd comment on my blog when I get back to posting on it. (but no pressure,)

I liked your comments a lot, because that's exactly what I thought when they banned plastic bags in California.

Happy blogging!

p.s. I commented before I read the last couple of paragraphs. oops!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Becoming Writers and Speakers