Help Wanted

Moderator: Tituba

Wow!!!

Postby webbdee » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:53 pm

How very timely!! Let me know how it is going. I have spent a lot of time researching this topic and would have several references if you would like. My favorite classes, with the most information, were political- sociology. :wink: They get down to the whys and some of the solutions. Dee
We come here to learn what we must teach. "In times of change, the learners will inherit the Earth while the knowers will find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer
webbdee
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby An8el » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:53 am

I came up with many variations on the "adopt a homeless person" idea. Of course you would want to carefully choose the person to "sponsor," and to carefully choose the nature of what you might offer to them that would be most constructively offered not in the form of money. Many people would not consider sponsoring someone who they couldn't trust, (such as a drug/alchohol user, etc.) However, there are many people who become homeless through illness, etc. as so are in the situation that anyone could find themselves in. If you're not a good judge of people, choose someone who is physically limited to help out. There are many levels of "sponsoring" someone to better their life that do not include making them a part of your household. The most obvious is to help someone with transportation. Just be in touch with them and offer a ride, carpooling style. An important part of what keeps people homeless, once they get there, is the lack of a telephone. You can give someone a place to install a phone in their own name by using your location, and get them a cordless phone at a thriftstore, locating it outside your home in a plastic box under a deck, stairway, carport, etc. so it's accessible by that person without coming into your house. They can use the phone in their car if they park close to the signal, or use the phone on your porch, covered carport, etc. I know many people continue to live off disability/Section 8/etc. partly because they do not have friends from being such social outcasts. Turns out, many of these people's lives improve if you give them some observations about what they are doing that keep others at a distance that they do not realize. This usually requires some brutal honesty that needs to be delivered tactfully for the desired constructive effect - and that involves becoming some sort of friends with them. Also, some people are not motivated to better their lives. You will quickly learn to choose people to sponsor who use what you have to offer them without spurning your help. If you find yourself in a position where you get taken advantage of, learn to choose more wisely and offer help more at a distance and of service in kind rather than anything involving money. One thing I did for someone I knew and trusted who could not save a dime and became homeless when his girlfriend kicked him out and kept everything they had put together - but he had a job - was I charged him money weekly to sleep on my couch. In actuality, he was very polite and did dishes, so I considered having him around to be an asset. After three months of sharing my house with him, I gave him back all the money he had paid me in "rent" and told him to go find a place to live with this first & last he now had saved up - which he did. Anyway - I have more stories about this, because I've been doing this most of my life for others.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:51 am

Couple of things that come to mind if the book is aimed at the very poor themselves - I'm picturing someone in a shelter, or living at home being helped by the local community, social services etc - how could they afford the book? They would be spending their money on essential items. They might not even be able to read or write. They might be feeling so low that doing any of the things from the book might seem impossible. If they could afford books or go to the library I would imagine they would be looking for novels, escape from their circumstances. I think that any publisher you approach will be asking about your intended buyers/readers. Or did you mean this to be a book for people working with the poor?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby barefootwriter » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:29 pm

We were watching TV last night and saw an ad for Money Tree lending. . . A section on scams aimed at lower-income folks that tend to keep them behind financially -- rent-to-own, high-interest loans, etc. Check out Nickel and Dimed for a story on a woman who lived on minimum wage to see what it was like, what kind of hurdles people face in that kind of life.
barefootwriter
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Thanks!

Postby tblankenship » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:08 am

Thank you for all of your excellent suggestions and help. I love this message board....I always meet the neatest, most intelligent people! Tam
Live Juicy, Tammy
tblankenship
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Tricia56 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:20 am

I currently live in a geographic area that might define the "culture of poverty". The problem as I see it is not a lack of education - it is a getting to the geographic areas that DO have jobs! Any job at all! That takes money! Gas, car, plane fare, money for resumes and clothing - and places to stay while searching. Then if offered a well paying job - then the person would need money to rent an apartment or such. All the scams are in my area. The military heavily recruits the youngsters - since it is for many the only way out of this state. Most employers DO NOT pay to transport you somewhere for a job interview. For people living on the edge financially and I DO mean the edge - they do not have money to go other places for a job hunt - even if they do have education. In addition they would have to take time off from their current low paying job (losing money) to go elsewhere on a job hunt. So people might say just pack up and go anywhere - you still need a place, phone, address when you get there. Job interviewers first off look at your credit in most any job now - poor people do not have good credit. Then take into account that the largest group of poor working adults are older people (especially women) - employers want to hire the young for the jobs - especially the high paying ones. I think there is an assumption by society that poor equals - no education, poor choices, bad lifestyle or just being stupid - such is not the case IMO. People will say things like get a relative or friend to help you - well IF those things were available - then the person would be doing that! If you write this book I hope you can get past assumptions that society has about people.
My Blog is: http://www.Tricialovesbooks.blogspot.com Let go of the belief that the past could have been any different.
Tricia56
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby ajpor » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:13 pm

I began and ended my teaching career in an inner city school where 70% of the student body was served by the free/reduced breakfast and lunch program. The question I would want answered is "How best could I or others get past the seemingly ingrained hopelessness that supported my kids in not striving to achieve?" I recognize the myriad causes of that hopelessness and the obstacles to their achievement, but you mention the Law of Attraction and coaching. It seems to me that both of these approaches to rising above obstacles depend first on an ability to believe that such rising is possible. So many of my students had lived such hard hard lives that they regarded me, their teacher, with kind pity for my pollyanna belief that their lives could be different. cheers, jean
ajpor
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Helping people in poverty

Postby CollegeDegree » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:06 pm

I deal with poverty everyday on the internet. I am expert on this subject. The best way to help people get out of poverty - is give them tools to help them climb out of poverty. Education, programs that work and encouragement. Give them one good teacher on marketing and use of computers. Teach one person to make income and pay them to teach the others. Give them centers to market their wares. Give them free computers. You don't have to be poor to be in poverty. You don't have to be homeless to be poor. What is poverty. A bare bone person with no clothing. A lonely elder person with no place to go. A lost soul.
CollegeDegree
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby flygirl » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:30 pm

I agree with the person who suggested you think about your intended audience, the buyers of your book, because a publishing company is going to want to know that too. And, as it was pointed out, those who are struggling exceptionally hard every single day to eke out a life are by and large not likely going to be buying your book. The middle class in the U.S. these days are quickly becoming lower class with the wealthy losing members every day ( no matter what the landscape of TV might demonstrate to viewers otherwise ). I still think though that the great majority of buyers of any books are lower to middle class people. I'm not sure how you'd present 'the culture of poverty' to them in any way they'd respond to unless, perhaps, you appealed to their self-interests ( e.g. \"you may be headed poverty's way...what will you do then?\" ) Good luck and hope you can figure out your framework for the book. :D
"Most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes." - Oscar Wilde
flygirl
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby An8el » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:21 am

Let's explore what Flygirl says - how about people who realize they about to be stone-bleeding poor? They can see that they are about to lose or have just lost their job, their home, etc. and are going to be living in their car in short order after their unemployment is gone or when their home is foreclosed, etc. What choices do people such as these have? These people may decide to voluntarily choose "poverty" so they can live within their means for awhile before they hit complete bottom and may never recover. We're not talking here about those who are headed for problems because they are drinking too much alcohol and are getting further out of control and denying it; we're talking about widows who don't have a clue how to make a living after their husbands die or those who get sick or people who have kids and then become single parents when the relationship falls apart, or those who's credit gets damaged through identity theft, etc. and, being unable to deal with bureaucracies, they see no way out, as well as those who haven't situated themselves while traveling until they run out of money completely and must work to go on traveling, as well as the "working poor" or the "single parent poor", etc. It would also include someone who sinks every penny into a dream of theirs without knowing how to make it happen and it doesn't work. Each one of these situations will imply a different approach and/or set of solutions. Someone would buy the book for someone else; someone would buy a book like this who will be trying to understand how to cope with potential or looming poverty. They might want to understand someone else's choice to voluntarily go for a significant change of lifestyle seemingly "below the barre" with perhaps no hope of eventually climbing out of it...or maybe they want to understand why would someone want to adjust to poverty as an ongoing state? This is the state many of us will be in as aging adults when/if social security collapses! Such a book might include such coping skills such as: social niceties and how to approach and talk to people you do not know safer hitch-hiking for women, men & young or old people, how to read a bus schedule how to get free glasses bicycle maintenance easy car maintenance for those living in their car how to organize your stuff and keep track of it if you must live in your car twenty things you could do for your mechanic to trade for their services how to talk to cops when you are really living or sleeping in your vehicle in an area where it is illegal to do so how to be "low profile" and not insult the neighbors by living in your car on the street perhaps a list of essential things to have in your car/backpack generally, how to not lose things, (especially money) when you're homeless and/or traveling how to ask for what you need tactfully from other people, and how to do things for people even though you have no money to contribute Sample lifestyles of the poor who are able to keep their station in life a secret from those who would think less of them if they knew - part of the "low profile" strategy How to get low-cost/free dental care and how to take care of your teeth to avoid dentists How to deal with problems that compound poverty such as ADD, physical limitations, how to improve bad credit or identity theft, etc. Ten things you can do to make money when you have absolutely no money to start with How not to get taken advantage of by others; how to say "no." How to recognize opportunity and sincere help when it is staring you in the face. How not to become a drunk, drug user, etc. and how to recognize such people who are self-destructive when looking for people who will socialize with you How to find free events to attend so you can have a social life with interesting people Cell phone deals, calling cards and how to stay within your allotted minutes and generally protect the little money you do have to spend The best way to spend money How to buy a meal in a food store instead of eating a snack at a convenience store How to store food in a vehicle without refrigeration How to advertise yourself as a house-sitter; how to write an ad; how to use a computer to make fliers to advertise yourself and whatever you can do to make some money how to be a great house-guest/couch surfer who will be welcomed to make themselves extended family over and over again, things you can do for anyone when you are a guest to make yourself useful and indispensable, How to find care taking jobs, house sitting jobs, how to take care of animals or be the "shop attendant" for a business in exchange for staying there as a night watchman, etc. How to ask for and keep a list of references from others of what a great person you are How to get a free shower, cheapest storage, best deal on buying essentials, etc. What are the essentials for these styles of living: backpack hostel world traveler, camping traveler, car liver, RV living, tent living, traveling salesperson living, traveling trades-person living, migrant farm worker, seasonal job person, couch surfer, How to avoid spending money on what you assumed was "essential" so you can save it; how to prioritize your needs and make wise decisions. How to spot people who are about to take advantage of you later How to negotiate so you do not get taken advantage of by an employer How to gracefully accept help and manage to do something in return how to recognize your own needs and how to wait patiently to jump on the opportunity; how to see and even create the opportunity How to get a job using the phone book instead of the want ads Deciding - do you get the job first and then a place to live nearby and save for the vehicle, or do you get the vehicle and then the job and then save for the place to live? Dealing with losing your license and what will make it happen How to deal with bureaucracy and follow through on opportunities Anyway, these are sort of disorganized off the top of my head because I can think of so many of these points. I have spent most of my life being voluntarily poor. In fact, I have moved to Hawaii because of the health care possible here that is required to be provided by employers which I experienced as the main reason that I cannot pull myself out of poverty even if I wanted to because I'm not capable of working full-time or working two jobs at once as other people seem to be. Many people have become envious of the freedom that living within my meager means has given me, although I did give up quite a bit to have the advantages that I enjoy such as the pleasures of having children. There have always been children around to take care of who I could make part of my life, fortunately; I would wish I could do more for a particular child many times but realized because of my health situation I had no business being a parent. Fortunately, I chose well now and am almost living on extended "retirement" at this point of my life. I have learned to accept having "half speed" energy and in some ways, gain many benefits by seeing a silver lining to some of the decisions that I had to make to accommodate my limited energy and unhealthful hereditary situation. I have learned to not only accept it but actually learned to enjoy the benefits, which are many and mainly involve having my own time to do whatever most of the year. Such as, I have no credit, have never had credit, and never got credit because every time I thought about it, it made me mad for some reason in its injustice - maybe a past life experience, I don't know. But it means that I am solvent at 54; although I have owned a house, I bought it outright from an auction and gave it away to someone with ADD who I knew would be homeless their entire life if I kept it for myself...and when someone checks my credit - there is nothing there! So - the personal becomes the universal when people tell their own story about what they know best. Isn't that you wanted, more personal stories?
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Becoming Writers and Speakers