Good Book Idea?

Moderator: Tituba

Good Book Idea?

Postby Firefairy » Thu May 10, 2007 11:20 am

Over the course of my life, even though I am fairly young, I have fallen into the position of advice-giver in my social group. I am constantly amazed at the basic information that simply does not get passed along automatically any more, and I get a lot of suggestions from friends that I write books about anything from comprehending the opposite sex to keeping house. I didn't specifically set out to learn most of this stuff, I am just omnicurious and happen to have picked up useful information as I go. So, I am thinking about writing a book called "Good Advice: Learn It Before You Need It". I would include basic information like personal hygiene beyond the bare necessities (apparently most of my male friends learn this stuff from their girlfriends) and _why_ it makes sense to make your bed, and introductions to more involved things like how to find interesting things to do in town or learn about political candidates before you vote. I would also explain why anyone might care, as I have found that a perceived lack of interest is usually because people don't realize how a given piece of information can help them. Do you guys think anyone would buy it? I'm not worried about making a ton of money, but I would rather spare myself the trouble if there's no market.
Firefairy
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Thu May 10, 2007 4:12 pm

I think it's sounds like an excellent idea! You might want to try writing a column for a local newspaper first. Many books like this start out as a collection of columns, and it builds readership and name recognition. Also, the good advice of an editor along the way would be invaluable. You can work on the book idea at the same time, but believe me, it is VERY hard to get published. Just from the post you wrote, I like your writing style and I think you will do well. Just don't quit your day job! At least no yet.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby dani » Thu May 10, 2007 10:18 pm

I like the title, and self-help books are a definite market. Better check with some of the publishing and marketing companies about that, however. The title, along with some of the topics, looks like an attention-grabber. You remind me of an analogous situation I was in when I was much younger. People were always telling me their sad stories. I finally went into counseling because I figured I might as well get paid for listening. :lol: Best, dani
dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Firefairy » Sat May 12, 2007 10:41 am

urbanpioneer wrote:I think it's sounds like an excellent idea! You might want to try writing a column for a local newspaper first. Many books like this start out as a collection of columns, and it builds readership and name recognition.
Okay, that leaves me with the shifted question of "How do I start a column?" Maybe I'll ping the local (I.e., tiny) newspapers- I bet they would be willing to give me some space in return for free content for a while. :-)
Firefairy
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby DStaub11 » Tue May 15, 2007 4:06 pm

Good idea! I have seen some similar books--there's one called How to Do Everything, and some "How to Cook in Your First Apartment"-type books--for young people getting started. I suspect there's room for your angle. I also like the newspaper column idea. A blog is another way to start out. Do Mi
Intimate Landscapes in Colored Pencil http://www.domistauberart.com Facing the Text: Content and Structure in Book Indexing http://www.domistauberindexing.com
DStaub11
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Good Book Idea?

Postby Thriving Miss Susan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:25 am

I hope you do write this book! You might look over "The Dangerous Book for Boys" as a potential model to play off of. I also have a few more thoughts: -- focus on those items of knowledge that would be most interesting to your audience....some will be more interesting than others. That is, it isn't just about your interests, but about what grabs your audience. This you can gauge by interacting with them through speeches, conversations, etc. ...also consider sharing your "omnicurious" process for learning things. You may have some audience members who have no idea how much they could benefit from knowing a few of your tricks.
Thriving Miss Susan
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Becoming Writers and Speakers