How to gather others' stories for a book on crappy karma?

Moderator: Tituba

How to gather others' stories for a book on crappy karma?

Postby loverofbooks » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:54 am

I am working on a book project about crappy karma. I need other people's stories. I have posted this in the General Discussion section and in a few other forums. What other methods should I use to gather this information? Do you suffer from Crappy Karma Syndrome? If you need to ask what that is you likely are not afflicted. :wink: If you immediately related to the question you may be just the one I'm looking for to help me with a book project. I am exploring and documenting examples of others' crappy karma for a lighthearted look at this phenomenon. The goal is to compile other people's experiences (along with my own personal crappyness) in a Chicken Soup for the Soul style book. I'm inviting those that would like to participate to email their stories, long or short, horrifying or hilarious, to : CrappyKarma at aol.com (remember to change the \"at\" to @) Also, I would love to know what you think about this idea? Interesting? Goofy? Salable? Thanks! Sylvia
loverofbooks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:47 pm

You might get more than you need (as well as a place to affiliate-sell your book) at despair.com/ A very funny place.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby loverofbooks » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:33 pm

Thank you so much Barbara for the great tip! I've never heard of that site. I will check it out. Thanks Sylvia
loverofbooks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby RavenWolf » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:21 am

Hey, I've got a ton of crappy karma tales for you! I think I'm the queen of crappy karma... Of doing the *right* thing and having it come back to bite me in the butt! :shock: I'll drop you an Email.... :wink:
RavenWolf
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby loverofbooks » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:49 am

Please do! I still need more stories. Also check out my other thread in General category: http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=20123 And my blog: http://blog.myspace.com/sylvia952 Sylvia
loverofbooks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby ScootermanII » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:55 am

I'm sure you'll get your book published before I get mine. I've spent the last ten years trying to come up with the perfect title. I concluded: If God only gives you those problems in life He thinks you can handle, I wish He didn't have so much confidence in me! would only get me in trouble with the Catholic Church and Mother Theresa who may have said something similar to that in her illustrious life. The title: Laughing@Adversity, a title I used on a now defunct Internet Home Page would only cause too many error messages for anyone writing me a message using a .com on the end of my page name! Then there is: A no laugh sitcom or a one tissue Soap Opera;Your call! For my second mid-life crisis I even tried to get a comic strip idea published; the strip's name was Carpool Carma and about a group of people forced to form a carpool by a boss who wanted to get some good PR for his company and become "greener," especially in his wallet. I gave up on that idea when one syndicate I sent ti too indicated they only published one or two new strips a year! I thought about an idea similar to yours 10 or 15 years ago when I began meeting a whole bunch of folks on AOL, list servers and then Boards. But I found the task of collecting the stories, addresses and then the thought of getting all the releases I would need, to be rather daunting. And that would apply to someone even if they were healthy. If you ever read any of my posts you probably know I have MS, multiple sclerosis. And I've had symptoms for 40 YEARS! A fact that has prompted me to start saying, "Anyone who has had MS for that long is usually found in one of two places, the local cemetery or sitting in a pretty urn on their loved ones mantle piece!" Stan, a/k/a Scooterman
Very little is truly impossible in this day and age as long as you have the right resources available, the time to get the task done and have some creativity.
ScootermanII
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby loverofbooks » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:20 am

ScootermanII wrote: I've spent the last ten years trying to come up with the perfect title. If you ever read any of my posts you probably know I have MS, multiple sclerosis. And I've had symptoms for 40 YEARS! Stan, a/k/a Scooterman
First of all I really hope you haven't spent 10 years trying to come up with a title! Spending that much time trying to come up with a topic...maybe that would be understandable. :wink: MS symptoms for 40 yrs?? OMG. You must be doing something right! Someone I know, a young mother, was only diagnosed last year and she is deteriorating quickly. So sad. I hope one of your ideas pans out for you. Keep at it. You never know when success will strike. Sylvia
loverofbooks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby ajpor » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:02 pm

Sylvia, I love your idea! How cool is that! I'd check out online groups - yahoo groups, msn, etc. - to round out your stories. If you're short on stories about parents, post in parent groups, for example. I'd also try contacting the local morning tv show - breakfast news or such - as well as local radio stations. Tell them what you're doing, give your resume or credentials etc so they know you're on the level. If you have a website up already, give them that info as well. Because it's lighthearted, it would be a great story for morning drive time or tv news. good luck! jean
ajpor
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: How to gather others' stories for a book on crappy karma?

Postby shparks » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:12 pm

My plan for gathering stories for a book is to put ads on Craigslist.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Becoming Writers and Speakers