Question for Children's book authors

Moderator: Tituba

Question for Children's book authors

Postby Halcyon Chapter » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:58 pm

Hi, I've written a couple children's picture books, and have outlines and ideas for 8 more. I am looking for good books/guides about formatting submissions. One specific question I have is: I like to have illustrations tell a lot of the story. I'm not an illustrator and I don't have any pictures to include in submissions. How do I indicate in the manuscript the parts of the story the illustrations would "show?" Thanks! Halcyon
Halcyon Chapter
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Question for Children's book authors

Postby Halcyon Chapter » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:26 pm

I know there are books out there about submitting manuscripts. I was hoping someone would recommend the best ones. I suppose I need to go to a website/board for children's authors. But I only like the Sher board! Oh well, one quick foray...
Halcyon Chapter
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:26 am

Hi Halycon, I must have missed your post! There is a book called Children's Writers and Illustrator's Market which lists the different publishers looking for children's material, and a new edition comes out yearly. As far as listing the ideas you have about illustrations, there is no need to, or is it even reccommended. Authors and illustrators do their work seperately...with the exception of those that are capable of doing both. Hope that helps.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Beth L » Wed May 07, 2008 9:53 am

Haycon, Normally I cringe when I see any of the Idiot's Guide & Dummies books, but I happened to find one that I like. It's called The Complete Idiot's Guide to Publishing Children's Books. At 315 pages, it is not one of those wimpy little books with no substance. There are a lot of common sense suggestions on how to get started. I am part of Barbara's 2008 WriteSpeak group, so I am lookinf forward to getting further along on the publishing trail. I hope you use this forum to let us all know how you are doing on your quest as well. Good luck! Beth L
Beth LaMie Personal Historian, Author and Speaker Author of Granny's Guide to Fun & Fabulous Family Stories website: www.bethlamie.com Blog: http://onestoryatatime.blogspot.com/ Twitter: www.twitter.com/bethlamie
Beth L
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Becoming Writers and Speakers