Found this quote on Twitter - alittle ironic don't you think .... :D

"Being a good writer is 3% talent, 97% not being distracted by the internet."
Anonymous
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Quotes for Writers

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:38 pm

They must not be writing much on the internet. :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:37 am

Imagine all the good stuff that could be written if it weren't for the internet. Also, there would be people to read the books. I read a statistic the other day about the percentage of people who would buy a book this year or read one. It was less than 5%!!!!
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:04 am

There's lots of good stuff written ON the internet (yes, thanks Al Gore). You just have to know where to look or it depends on what you're looking for, too. A lot on this board over the years, even!

There's sort of a blending going on now. There's stuff written on the web pages, there's Kindle, iPad, etc., then of course Amazon, Borders, B&N, et. al., are the bridge to enable you to get a paper book in your hands by just going to the mail box when it arrives. I haven't made the Kindle/iPad move yet, but I'm sure I will eventually (I'm a leading lagger, not a leading or bleeding edge kind of technology guy). I read so much on the internet already, it's a natural extension. There's nothing like a paper book to read, not to mention the gorgeous picture/photograph books you can get. But, someday, I suppose, there won't be enough trees and we'll have to convert to electronic print.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:36 am

Just got the new Kindle. Not sure how much I'll use it, but it was cool to download a book in seconds. Plus, they are cheaper that way.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:40 am

I was thinking about getting the Nook (Barnes and Noble's e-reader) but I called the store about it and found out that you had to have WiFi to download the books. So I figured, the cost of the Nookcolor is $249, the cost of WiFi is about $50 a month, and then there's the downloads themselves. It just didn't make sense expense-wise for me to invest in it.

Tituba, have you found it to be a worthwhile thing to have? Have you read many books on it yet?
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 am

I don't think it means that you have to pay for WiFi. If you situate yourself in a WiFi spot, perhaps you'll be able to d/l a book.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby kashtanka » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:09 am

That sounds more reasonable, as lots of places have WiFi. Thank you.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby tyretiredwave » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:13 pm

I was one of those people that just "HAD" to have the paper under my fingers, something to actually turn. I found a e-reader for $75.00 at a B&N going out of buz. sale. Just for the heck of it I bought it. I am in love!! I can download FREE!!! yes FREE!! books and that is all I have been reading since I got it. It is small and I can throw it in my purse and take 20 books with me from the Bible to romance novels. I can read it in the sun or by very little light. Mine is the Sony Reader and it is 5.5in x 4in. I even love the pink case that I can throw things in with my reader.

I'm a very happy convert!
Terri Dogs have masters, cats have staff
tyretiredwave
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:41 am

You can also e-borrow library books.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:45 am

Concerning the original quote 3% talent 97% not being distracted by the Internet -

You have to know that they mean all the junk you can get into, not the seriously valuable info. For me it's Spider Solitaire, and Sudoku, and other assorted junk which, let's face it, isn't making me a better writer.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:16 pm

"If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that." -Stephen King

"If I show up at your house 10 years from now, and find nothing in your living room but Reader's Digests, nothing in your bedroom but the latest Dan Brown novel … I will chase you down to the end of your driveway and back shouting 'Where are the damn books? Why are you living the mental equivalent of a Kraft Macaroni & Cheese life?'"

- Stephen King, to the 2005 graduating class of the Univ. of Maine
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Becoming Writers and Speakers