Who are the writers here?

Moderator: Tituba

Re: Who are the writers here?

Postby kashtanka » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:59 am

Hello fellow writers. It's been awhile since anyone posted and I'm wondering how everyone is doing with their writing.

Dressyshoes, have you done any writing since you posted in July?

Squarepeg, did you start carrying around your notepad yet?

Elaine, have you had any success in keeping with a schedule?

Yesterday I started writing a short story. The last short story was about 2,000 words, and that's what I'm aiming for with this one. I wish I could crank out short stories like it was a simple thing; instead I take my time with them and work on developing my characters. I've made a decision that I'm going to write at least one sentence a day, even if I don't feel like writing, just so I can call myself a writer.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:05 am

Violet, do you have any story ideas perculating?

Unity, what are you up to with your writing?
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:21 pm

Good for you, kashtanka! Your idea reminds me a little of "The Morning Pages" in "The Artist's Way."

Thank you for following up on us, too! I've not been carrying around the memo pad regularly. But then again, many of the places I've been going have computers I can write on (or nearby). I'm referring to Work and Public Libraries. When I do think to take it, I talk myself out of it. I say, "Well, if you write in it, you'll just have to type it into a computer later on anyway. So you might as well just type it directly into the computer."

Another thing.... I've suddenly started dreaming again, as if a switch has been flipped. So I'm anxious to keep the memo pad on my nightstand. Although I don't have time to record the entire dream first thing in the morning, I jot down its "title" and can manage to reconstruct about 90% of it even 12 hours later. [Latest dream has me wondering if Detroit is on the water, like Seattle.... Later: I confirm the psuedo-location of my dream with Google Maps.]

Peace
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:49 pm

Squarepeg, I loved your post! I can tell that humor is something that you write very well. As far as having to type things over again onto your computer, it's not that bad unless you write an entire book in one sitting. :D I'm so glad that you're capturing your dreams now, and find it amazing that you're having them on a consistent basis. How did you turn the switch on if you don't mind my asking? I used to have really neat dreams - Just crazy, fun stuff. Your Detroit dream fits into the same category - they make so much sense when you're having it, but afterwards...well, you know.

Maybe one of these days you'll take your memo pad with you...

Happy writing!
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby violet » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:54 am

Hey everybody. Thanks Kathy from me too, for rounding us up! I love what you said about writing a line a day. I remember you saying once that you planned on one line but ended up writing quite a lot more that day and it made you feel good. It's such a nice and non-threatening way to motivate yourself, and I can imagine it would often get you moving to do something that ends up quite satisfying.

Squarepeg, I think I agree with Kathy, I totally get the reluctance to write on paper and then have to transfer it - but I think it's worth doing. I write a lot of notes on paper that I don't transfer to my computer, lol, and I write a lot of stuff that's on the computer that I never print out, so it all just goes in there somewhere and then is effectively sort of 'lost'. :oops: But I still think doing that is better than not writing at all! It's still writing practice. And one day I may just be organised enough to pull out all these writings and see if there's something I can do with them. At the very least they will be useful and interesting prompts that I can use as springboards for other writing.

Kathy I sometimes write a little bit of stuff based on my relationship with L, lol. It kind of comes up in fits and bursts when the mood takes me. I haven't done a lot though. I'm not sure where I'd be going with it. That's all the 'story' stuff that I have done. I do sometimes think maybe I ought to try my hand at a romance novel seeing as this last year has kind of been the 'big love affair' of my life! It has elements in common with those rather terrible Mills and Boons novels I read so many of when I was 12. :roll: :lol:

My main plan with writing is to start producing some non-fiction articles and perhaps blog posts. I might also think about some kind of a book, if there are essay-type things I write that wouldn't stand on their own as articles but needed to be grouped together. I have pages and pages of notes and some paragraphs and longish rambles but I'm having a lot of trouble making a complete article. It used to be the easiest thing in the world for me when I was at school and university, and I even had a couple of articles published in the main newspaper in the city where I live, when I was young. The editor actually wanted me to do a regular weekly article but I didn't follow through on it. I'm sure it's still in me and I do have the ideas, but I haven't written anything like an essay in so long and I'm not sure what is stopping me making a complete piece. I guess there's some kind of a fear involved, and lack of practice, lack of any external deadline/requirement. Now that I've joined a writer's group that may help! I'm planning for next week to just find an extract from one of my old journals. For the articles, I hope to write about things like happiness, meaning, purpose, spirituality, emotional wellbeing, and things like that... They're all topics that I've had to think deeply about and work hard at over the years, and which are so precious to me. I'd like to share the insights and glimpses of wisdom that I've had, and I hope that writing and attending to these matters more deeply will bring more insights.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone else about your writing projects, hopes, ideas, habits - anything! :D
violet
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:22 am

Hi, everyone,
Kashtanka, congrats about getting "in the zone". I like your idea about just one line a day.

congrats to everyone else, Violet, Square Peg. I hope you're all finding something good.

I'm plugging along. Slowly, but not at a standstill.

Good vibs to everyone.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:49 pm

@kashtanka: I'm not sure why my dreams have stared to flow again. It could have to do with the time of year. Or it might be diet-related. I'd been trying to follow a low-carb diet up until recently. Now I cave in to my cravings for ice cream or bread with cinnamon-sugar. Of course, I choose spelt bread and substitute agave nectar for sugar and ghee for butter, so it's healthy! ;) The two causes may be related. The time of year has probably triggered the diet change. The shorter day signals a last chance to bulk up for hibernation. (I have a really detailed theory about all this, but I think I'll spare everyone.)

Unrelated to diet & time of year is this: I ask myself throughout the day whether I'm dreaming, and, if so, I urge myself to pay attention to the dream and possibly alter it (lucid dream). I haven't had a lucid dream in over 20 years, so it would be fun to do that again.

Good luck and let us know how you fare!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi all

Kathy, I do try and keep writing something most days at the moment I have two main projects - a book about autism and the short stories - I have two websites (not live).

However, as the legal situation is currently upon me I am only doing bits and pieces whenever I get a chance.

I really don't know where I will end up with either project, they are both evolving as I haven't yet had that 'click' feeling when I know I have hit the right angle.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby violet » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:17 pm

A book on autism Unity? That's really caught my interest. If you feel like sharing more about it - or about the websites & short stories too, I'd love to hear more.
violet
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby kashtanka » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Violet, I really enjoy reading personal essays. They reveal a lot about the writer, and that scares me a little, so I'm glad to hear that it's something you feel comfortable doing. I admire your brave attitude! About writing romances, I think you'd be good at it so I encourage you to try your hand at it. I tried it for the first time this year and it was actually quite fun to write. The fact that you were asked to do a regular series of articles when you were younger is really in your favor. If you are proposing a series or column to a paper it will sound good when you casually mention it to the editor.

Squarepeg, I know where you're coming from when you talk about physical changes/reasons that could attribute to your recent dreaming. It's really worth it to make changes like this, more so than I believed when I was younger. It's as if our brains need more fuel as we advance in age. :D

Unity, can you please send me one of your stories? I can also send you my latest short story if you're interested.

Elaine, I read your post in the Success thread and saw that you have a lot going on now. Let me know how you make out with Lulu. One of my brothers and my uncle have both published with them, and my uncle sold quite a few copies. He wrote a book based on stories of when he lived in enemy territory when he was in World War ll.

Write on everyone.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby yonuh » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:38 pm

Well, I finally took the plunge and have started a blog with my fiction, so now I have 3 blogs going! I have been getting positive responses to my stories, which encourages me to keep writing! One writer told me if my story was on Amazon she would have clicked right through to buy it, and I have started participating in a 'sample' blog to get more exposure. I love to write, but don't like editing so much, so I post the stories in segments, without any editing. I found that trying to edit as I write disrupts the flow, so I stopped doing that when I found it was better not to do it. Participating in NaNoWriMo last year was the best thing I ever did, because it cured me of editing as I write. I never would have met the goal if I had continued that practice.
yonuh
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:23 pm

HI, Yonah,

I also create first and edit later. I think it's the only way to do it. There's a book "Writing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Henrietta Something or Other. And she says that you use the right side to create, and the left side to edit.

Good luck. It sounds like you're on a roll.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:26 am

HI, writers,

The last posts sound so great. Hearing about you all writing and dreaming is encouraging for me. So I'm wishing you happy vibs and happy writing. I'm curious: When I write with a pen and paper, it comes out different from my writing on a computer, and talking into the computer with dragon comes out different from the other two. I like to edit on the computer, but I like to write on paper, and I like the feel of pen, not pencil. I'm shy and Dragon Speak usually feels stilted. But if I get over the shy, it can be great for dialogue. I wonder if it's true for anyone else.

Happy dreaming, Square Peg.
Yonuh, it sounds like you're on a roll.
Also, Kashtanka, Violet, Dressy Shoes, Unity. All your posts sound positive.
Guys, I forget people. I want to include everyone in my post.if I forget someone, please, I'm not ignoring you, I'm just getting a little dippy.

Happy Writing!!!!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Elaine, :lol: Dippy, I like that!
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:59 am

I think Dragon Speak would be fun for writing memoir-like content. I would pretend that I'm being interviewed on a talk show, or that I'm taking to children who want to know what the "olden days" were like. That's the mindset I have anyway when I write that kind of stuff.

When I first started using a computer to write, I found it to be difficult, so I'd write with pencil and then type it in. But then I would gradually start to add more content while typing in the hand-written stuff. Now, I don't think there's a difference for me anymore.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Becoming Writers and Speakers