Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:32 pm

Thanks.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: First Time Authors

Postby sca1een » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:32 am

Is it a must to have somebody proofread your book? I've got some acquaintances who hire editors. Unfortunately, I cannot afford one. But those guys told me I can at least use some app like hemingway (http://www.hemingwayapp.com/) or reach out to writing service or something (e.g. http://acewriters.org/). I personally don't want to do either. I'm not great at editing but I think if I have my piece edited, it may not be like mine any more. What I mean is each person has different writing style, and the editor may get rid of something I think is essential. And I don't want to take this risk.
sca1een
New User
New User

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:20 am

There's a difference between proofreading and editing. Proofreading is a must. Editing is a plus.

So many people see an editor as the enemy. These people, if they're good, have much more experience than you, and can help, not take away from your work.

I had a friend who self-published. The book was not a good read. An editor would have helped. The chapters were very uneven, some good, some bad, some short, some long. A good editor would have told her to work more on the weak ones, flesh them out, develop them more. The editor would have helped her cut down on the overly long chapters, eliminate what wasn't needed, make them stronger.
The end result would have been a book with chapters the same length and all of them strong. I would have enjoyed reading it much more. And others would have, too.

If you don't want to sell your book, you don't need to proofread or edit. If you want to be a professional, published author, you need to see editing as a plus, not a minus.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sca1een » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:35 am

Thanks
sca1een
New User
New User

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:35 am

If you have writer friends, you can edit and proof each others' works. You can get the proofing and editing done for free, and there's not the sense that the editor had power over you.

Most people can proof their own work thirty times, think it's perfect, and then someone else will look at one page and find the missing comma, the misspelling, and the incorrect tense.

One of the hardest parts of writing is having someone else change something. It just hurts. If you want your work to be professional quality, you have to put up with that. For me, looking at the paragraph before the editor changed it, and after and thinking, yes, that's even better - makes it okay.

As for editing, there are good editors and bad editors. A good editor works with you not, not instead of you. You should be able to say, 'Yes, I understand what you're saying, but I want it the first way because . . ." Once an editor changed my title from "A Dive in the Dumpster - How to Find Romance and Hazardous Waste" to "Dumpster Diving." She didn't get it. And no, she didn't edit it either.

Also, for me, when I'm starting the work, I don't want to know what's wrong with it. I want to hear that it's funny, and has a lot of potential, and catches your attention. If I'm sending it out to agents, I want it as close to perfect as I can get it.

If you write and don't belong to a writers' group, I recommend finding one or starting one. Writing is solitary work, and it's so much easier with friends behind you.

Hope some of this helps.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:48 am

People tend to think that editing is an either/or situation. Either you get to have everything exactly how you want it or it has to be exactly how the editor wants it.

Think of it as working WITH an editor. Between the two of you, you decide what works best. Be open to what they suggest because you might see your work in a new and fresh way. If you think it over and the suggestions just aren't what you want, then leave it your way.

Elaine, I LOVE the title of the book you mentioned! And no, the editor had no idea what you and your writing are about. Did you publish that book? It's sounds great. I do love your titles, this one and Temporary Address.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:09 am

I recently read a book that SO needed to be proofread. So many typos. It distracted from the story and made the author look sloppy.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:39 am

That's so true, Tituba. (And yes, I know mine have typos. :oops:.)
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:07 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:If you have writer friends, you can edit and proof each others' works. You can get the proofing and editing done for free, and there's not the sense that the editor had power over you.

Most people can proof their own work thirty times, think it's perfect, and then someone else will look at one page and find the missing comma, the misspelling, and the incorrect tense. -snip-
This is such great advice. I belonged to a writer's club that met at the local library. It was easy to exchange texts or read certain things out loud for an instant critique. One old Russian (or Ukrainian) woman would share bits of her story about a war-ravaged farm land, solders barging into the farm house, finding the teenage girl.... I didn't know if it was autobiographical -- I was too afraid to ask. Such a gripping, spell-binding narrative. Another woman, ordinary, middle-aged, would read her poetry that made my heart do gymnastics.

I think it's important to know how other people interpret the story. Even when I write a computer program, I like to see someone actually use it to see if it's intuitive enough. I'll always be surprised how how someone might "mouse into" each field rather than tab over, or they'll choose to enter the fields in a different order.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:28 pm

Square Peg,

You are always such a generous and supportive person here on the boards. So far, this is the only reference I've seen about your own writing. What type of writing do you do? Elaine mentioned something about your blog. Where can I find your blog, website, writing, whatever?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:07 pm

I'll bet he stories are true.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:44 pm

Yes, Elaine, I expect so. I wish I could remember her name....

IS, I was fond of writing something that I thought resembled "poetry." So occasionally I would read one to the group.

The link to my blog is http://square--peg.blogspot.com/ . But I haven't put anything on it worth reading for quite a while. If you do decide to check it out, please click on a "Tag" that interests you. And thank you for asking!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:38 pm

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:11 pm

Cute and funny. Thanks, Tituba. You always come up with good stuff for us to read!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Becoming Writers and Speakers