I've just lost 20 years of writing because of my computer

Moderator: Tituba

Re: I've just lost 20 years of writing because of my compute

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi Tituba and Scannie,

The computer guys put both zip disks and zip files on the computer. Most of the zip files I was able to click on, save in another place, and then when I went back and clicked on them again they said file was damaged and couldn't be repaired. But I saved the file first so I just deleted those. There are a few left that say they're damaged and they're listed in the zip archive. I haven't looked at the zip archive yet. But none of those files are important to me. None are Masters degree or personal journals. At least I don't think so. I haven't looked in the zip archive yet so I don't know what's there.

When I went to the Start button, and then Computer, and then Windows C: drive, that's where I found the following folders: 8799, dell, Intel, etc. I didn't think any of it would have to do with what I was looking for. But then I went back and clicked on the folder named 8799. It contained folders titled disk1, disk2, disk3, disk4, disk5. It makes me feel sick just typing that! Still having waves of nausea. Yes. Deep breath. I'm pretty sure I had 5 zip disks. I have no idea why the computer guys would save all my disks in a folder named 8799. It doesn't have any meaning to me.

I had an external zip drive that had those things that look like large flat square disks that you insert into it. And yes, CD's came along but I never learned how to burn one. I just kept using my zip drive and zip disks.

Still too scared to click on the disks. waves of nausea again! I'm going to have to go now!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:37 pm

I liked zip disks too. I used them because the computers at my uni had built-in zip drives. But they went out of fashion very quickly.

I googled 8799 to see if it might have any significance. The only thing I found is a star called HR 8799 that has a large debris disk orbiting around it. So maybe it's an astronomical joke.

Could you phone the computer guys and ask them what's in folder 8799?
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:52 pm

crap, shit, shit, shit, shit.....................

I opened disks 1-5. The good news is that my personal journals from 1999, 2000-2006 are there. Journals 2007-2009 and Journal 2012 seem to be missing.

But here's the big crap-shit part. THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT MY THESIS OR MASTERS DEGREE OR PORTFOLIOS ON THE DISKS. Maybe I've missed something. I'll try again.

But I did find some 3.5 floppy disks that say "thesis and portfolio" and one says Windows 98 start up. I'm grateful that I have a hard copy of the thesis and the reader from the class. And I'm pretty sure the 2 portfolios are in the box in the closet which I still haven't faced. (Big closet. Floor to ceiling boxes!)

Damn. Why didn't I save the thesis and masters degree stuff on the zip disks? It doesn't make sense. Ah, crap. Maybe I missed something. I'll try again. But why would I just save that stuff on a floppy disk and not the zip disk where I saved everything????
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:06 pm

Okay. I panicked too soon. Disk 4 has a My Documents folder. And inside that folder is.......... thesis info and porfolio info! God, I feel like throwing up!

So, how would I search for a folder named Journal 2007, Journal 2008, Journal 2009 and Journal 2012? I know where there's a space to ask for a particular file but I don't know how to search for a folder.

God, I just realized that I found the thesis and portfolio writing. can't wrap my mind around that right now. need to go lie down! :jawdrop:
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:43 pm

You are working yourself into a state. It is not good for your health. Go into each of those files and see if the material you seek is there. If it is, then copy it to a place you can find it and BACK IT UP ON A FLASH DRIVE. If all of your files are not there, you need to accept that situation and not get physically sick. Knowing once and for all would be best and not drag this out. Everytime you delay knowing one way or another, you are prolonging the anxiety.

If the "disk1" is a zip file, you need to unzip them to see the files. It will then be easier to search for a particular file name.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:10 am

That's great news inspire :D :D :D I'm glad you plucked up the courage to open them. Even if everything isn't there, things are much better than you thought they were.

Yes, follow Tituba's good advice and make copies of everything in another place on your computer and on a flash drive or external hard drive. Ideally at least one copy should be kept separately from your computer. You can also email copies to yourself as attachments if you have web-based email like yahoo or gmail. Or arrange with a friend to send and keep each other's important documents on your hard drives. Print out copies of very important stuff too.

And always do that for any future irreplaceable stuff. Unfortunately the importance of backing everything up is a lesson most people learn the hard way, like you have done.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:42 pm

Hello everyone,

Thank you all (Square Peg, Elizabeth, Elaine, Tituba, Scannie) for your sympathy, support, and understanding. It means a lot.

Tituba - thank you for your concern about my health. I have slept well for about 3 nights in a row so I'm getting better physically and settling down. I really had to take a step back from it all for a few days.

I do still have several years of journal writing I haven't located yet. Tituba and Scannie -- I'll come back and ask some specific questions about the computer and locating the things still not found. Thank you both for the computer help you've given so far.

Elaine - when you said the DMV "takes its own sweet time", what exactly did you mean? It's been 3 weeks since my doctor mailed in the forms required. Still no response.

Okay. Off I go now. I'll come back when I've gotten the energy to go back to the files located and save them in safe places, etc.

Thanks again, all. I'm so glad you guys were there for me! :)
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:16 pm

I'm so glad you found the files, Inspire. I hope you get A WHOLE LOT IF NOT ALL of the missing information.

I was going to wait until you got your license to tell you what I meant by DMV takes its own sweet time. I think their time frame for a reply is four to six weeks. You are way ahead of what we went through if you only have one doctor to submit paperwork, and if he/she told you that she had sent in the form.

You decide if you want to read this or not.

In December the doctor told my husband he was okay to drive. He'd do a follow up check up in January and then send the letter to DMV. Well.... One doctor sent a letter explaining the health problem and how it had been resolved. Another doctor sent in the form required by DMV. Both doctors were going on vacation so everything was taking longer because of that. Eventually we heard from DMV saying that they'd received the paperwork. Much later DMV wrote with an appointment date and time for a phone interview. On the phone the DMV officer said that the paperwork was inconclusive. The form did not explain what the health issue was and how it had been resolved. The letter did not count because it was not on the DMV form. She said she chose to interpret from the information that he was not able to drive. She told my husband that driving was a privilege, not a right, and he had three weeks (approximately) to resolve the problem or his license would be revoked permanently. At least she told my husband what she needed on the form. The doctors in question were both ridiculously busy. They had just had their patient load increased substantially. The doctor did not understand why he/she had to fill out the form again, but did it. During all of the above, we were calling the doctors to make sure they had sent in the info, and calling DMV to make sure they had received the paperwork.

In June, DMV reinstated the license.

By the way, my husband's mother and two aunts are in their nineties and live in a rural area where public transportation is available but inconvenient, especially for ninety-year-old ladies. While my husband's license was suspended, his brother and a friend had been providing transportation for the three ladies to doctors, shopping etc. Shortly after my husband got his license, the brother and friend developed health problems and could no longer drive. The license arrived in the nick of time.

I hope my husband doesn't somehow lose his license as a result of me posting this.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:11 pm

Elaine,

Sigh................. It's been 3.5 weeks since the doctor supposedly sent the form. He supposedly sent the form, not a letter. He gave me his card with his phone number but as usual, I lost the card.

I just called the DMV and they're going to call me back in 2 hours (supposedly). I'm due for jury duty. I'm between a rock and a hard place. Do I risk getting in trouble with the DMV by driving without permission. NO! I sent the jury paperwork to my doctor to say I couldn't do it but he left a message today saying I didn't sign something. He said to come in and sign it and pick it up. Yeah, how? I can't drive! Jury duty is on Tuesday. Monday is a holiday. I don't know what to do. There will be penalties for either or. SHIT!

I've been wanting to ask you what "their own sweet time" meant since you wrote it but I couldn't face it. Thanks for giving the details here. IT'S BEEN THREE F***ING MONTHS that I can't drive. I have no family or friends who can help me. The county will only drive me to doctor's appointments and occasionally for groceries. But I'm really stretching the food here. Gee............what can I do with a can of stewed tomatoes? Add water and call it soup? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:53 pm

I just talked to the DMV. I've been sitting here alone in this apartment for 3 months not driving when I could have been driving. The F***king primary care physician NEVER F***KING NOTIFIED THE DMV IN THE FIRST PLACE THAT I COULDN'T DRIVE! So, now when they receive the letter from my cardiologist saying that I AM SAFE TO DRIVE the DMV is going to wonder why the hell he's mailing this to them!

I HATE THAT PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIAN! First and last time I'm going to see her.

I'm going to go drive somewhere tomorrow.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:16 pm

Elaine,

Did your husband receive a letter in the mail from the Driver Safety Office TELLING HIM HE WASN'T ALLOWED TO DRIVE? Because I never received any letter saying I couldn't drive. I just believed the PCP when she said she had notified DMV that I wasn't allowed to drive. I never got anything from DMV about this issue at all.

Sorry, guys, about going off topic here. I feel my computer files AND this DMV thing is some kind of evil astrological thing! What the heck is going on?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:46 pm

Yes, my husband got a letter from DMV telling him that his license was suspended. So if DMV says you can drive, you can drive. Before you hate your primary care physician, consider that she might have sent the form in and DMV might have lost it. Or hasn't gotten around to reading it until now. (Although, in my husband's case, they were very fast to suspend and took forever to reinstate.) Or maybe your PCP just wanted to keep DMV out of it, so told you you couldn't drive, and later told you that you could, not realizing that you'd be expecting DMV to say something about it.

Anyway, it sounds as though you have wheels!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:05 pm

p.s. Lots of sympathy to you. My husband was slightly furious when he was going through it. I'm sending you calming, soothing vibes. It really does sound as if everything will work out well for you.

And please be very careful the first few times you drive, and just careful once you get the feel of driving again.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:13 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:... it sounds as though you have wheels!

That I have! Thanks!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:28 pm

Just curious. Are you going to teach that class again?
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Becoming Writers and Speakers