Inner Life Challenge

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: Inner Life Challenge

Postby Tituba » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:55 am

Anyone up for another challenge of no electronics or reading for 24 hours?

I was re-reading everyone's experiences from this challenge (especially velvet) and thought it would be valuable to bring back the challenge.

For those of you who find 24 hours too difficult, how about 12? If you find yourself in detox, then that is a message about how addicted we all are to being constantly stimulated from the outside. Notice the uncomfortableness, notice what thoughts and feelings it brings up. Get to the next hour and you'll find yourself taking action or maybe taking a nap.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi Tituba

Because I need the computer daily I can definitely do the shorter challenge tomorrow.

No tv, reading, internet (I don't have any other gadgets) until 1.30 pm on Wednesday.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:50 am

Wednesday - lasted until 14.45 so I went over my 12 hour goal :D

Did a major decluttering project in the spare time away from the computer.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:22 am

That's great. Did you also give up radio, music, reading and phones?
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:46 am

Summary -

I'm actually very surprised about the decluttering project because even up to about 10 minutes beforehand I was in heavy resistance because it's one I've put off for about 6 months but had been playing on my mind for a long time probably because there was so much to do.

Time now - 16.40 - so far today -

reading - no books, magazines etc - this morning re- read a love letter sent to me as I completely forgot that involved reading.

phone - one necessary call to mom, I only ever call family so phones aren't normally a problem for me.

music, radio - don't use them

internet - minimum use today compared to normal

So it was a successful goal, thanks for setting it.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:40 am

If you re-read this thread, Velvet had the most profound experience with this challenge. I find doing this every now and then really gets me moving and achieving. I also try to carve out one hour a day of silence to attend to things. I find it helps alot. What is so telling is how many people cannot possibly consider doing this as they MUST be connected. That is a pretty good sign of addiction and why you should challenge it. Maggie Jackson wrote a great book on how we all have become distracted and the toll it takes on us emotionally and mentally.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:56 am

I looked back over the thread.

I've always craved silence - I rarely watch tv and don't listen to the radio at all, no music unless the children are back home and they put it on.

Don't use a cell phone. Don't often read much nowadays.

However I could say I'm addicted to the computer.

When I did a series of goals about the computer on the personal challenges I found that it was far easier to keep off it altogether for the whole day than only use it in moderation.

Because I always eat my breakfast at the computer, today I didn't eat any.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:44 am

Tituba wrote:Anyone up for another challenge of no electronics or reading for 24 hours?

I was re-reading everyone's experiences from this challenge (especially velvet) and thought it would be valuable to bring back the challenge.

For those of you who find 24 hours too difficult, how about 12? If you find yourself in detox, then that is a message about how addicted we all are to being constantly stimulated from the outside. Notice the uncomfortableness, notice what thoughts and feelings it brings up. Get to the next hour and you'll find yourself taking action or maybe taking a nap.
This reminds me of how I lived during the week-long power outage. Except we were operating the portable radio for news, and I did read a little bit (by candlelight or fire) during the evenings...
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:35 am

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:57 am

I had an interesting time in relation to this topic.

For the last 9 days I've been out a lot, and only use the internet when I'm home, forgot about it when I was out.

Had an unexpected last moment trip away earlier in the week - made a decision to go in less than an hour - my emergency cell phone (I never use one normally) wasn't charged, no credit, so had to rely on other people as we were travelling in the car and there were numerous change of plans. The original arrangement with b/f was made from my home phone to say I was going by train and to meet me at a station this changed at our local one when the tickets doubled in price to what we expected.

Since Christmas I haven't watched tv, not by choice, just happened that way.

I noticed that it's either down to being in this electronic age and/or male but whilst driving on the trip we got lost numerous times - no maps or gps. I wanted to stop the car and ask a passerby, DS (the driver) was telling his friends to use their phones to get a map. It was dark and no street names. Eventually in bad traffic I opened the window and asked someone - they said the road system was too complicated to give directions. Found another person - girl going to the same place - I asked her to get into the car with us and direct. The third time we got lost in another city, one of the female passengers got out to ask, whilst everyone else was failing to find the info on their phones.

Ideally I'd like to cut down on internet timewasting at home and use the computer wisely eg I'm writing a book so concentrate on that.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:30 am

Unity1 wrote: ... they said the road system was too complicated to give directions.

That's a good one. I'll have to use that the next time someone thinks that a runner can just stop and give directions like they were one a leisurely walk or something. Of course, these days, they might think I'm walking. :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:30 am

This week I went two entire days without TV, internet, and phone! I was out of town so I couldn't do any needed projects at home, but the freedom from all things electronic was refreshing. My mind didn't feel cluttered like it usually does.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Kathy, didn't you write a short post from the hotel? :wink:

I find it much easier to avoid the internet if I don't switch the computer on at all than tell myself to cut down.

Glad you found something useful ST.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:53 pm

and see.......people are now making a living like this

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconside ... -to-unplug
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous