Clutter Challenge - December 17-December 31

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Clutter Challenge - December 17-December 31

Postby Tituba » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:56 am

Thought this would be fun to see how many of us could get these three things done before 2008 Getting Rid of Clutter before the New Year You have a few weeks left to get rid of your clutter and start 2008 off on a more organized note. 1) Fridge and Pantry. Start out the New Year fresh by cleaning out your fridge and pantry. Be sure to toss or donate all food that you have not used in the last six months. If you haven't used it in that time frame, you're not going to. Challenge yourself to use all of the food in your freezer that is older than two months old. Get rid of all of your old herbs and spices. Just because your spice rack has a bottle labeled cardamom, it doesn't mean you need it. 2) Linen Closet. Go through your linen closet. This is a perfect time of the year to make donations. Animal shelters especially will take old sheets, towels and blankets. Keep a maximum of 3 sets of sheets per bed. For a guest bed, only one set is really needed. There's no reason to keep extra mattress pads, dust ruffles, etc. One each per bed is plenty. 3) Publications. It's time to toss all publications, newsletters, magazines, newspapers from 2006 and older. Resist the urge to say, 'but I might need it or have to refer back to it.' The bottom line is, you probably won't and you will continue to have more arrive and the pile will just get larger.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:34 am

Hi Tituba, I've already started. Now the kitchen is finally finished I'm de-cluttering everything before putting it back. I've got piles for re-clycl, for charity shop van coming this week and loads for the bin. And loads more to do - it's stacked all over the place hopefully will get most done by this weekend. It would be nice to be organised next year and just tidy up now and again instead of having to machete your way through it :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby PattyH » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:30 pm

Publications are my killer. I can never get out from under them. About 2x a year I finally get enough courage to tackle it, but never get it 100% under control. After hours of work I find within a few days the piles re-appear as more and more 'data' enters my home. It's one of many many things I can't get control of. I wish others luck. I'm not going to try until January...maybe.
PattyH
New User
New User

Postby Tituba » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:13 pm

I use to have a problem with magazines. A couple of years ago, I decided that if I purchased a magazine, I had to toss or donate one or, better yet, two before I could read it. That helped alot. I now only have three months of issues. Once read, they go into my car and get donated. I've saved alot of money too.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:55 pm

Thanks for the challenge Tituba! Pantry done today. Am going to bring a bunch of magazines to the library where they have a magazine exchange.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby dani » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:53 pm

Oh good, support for something I've had on my mind. Thankfully, I have a chore helper a couple of times a week so linen closets have been done, pantry could use a once-over, and vacuuming, dust and dishes are taken care of for me. Fridge is kept free of anything I don't need. I take pains to keep DVDs and CDs in their homes. These things please me. So if I'm so privileged, and competent with some things, how come I can't keep the place free of clutter? Before I forget, I used to have a magazine obsession with the consequences I read about here. Since I got my first computer in '97 and found so many pubs online, I'm not tempted to buy anymore. Besides, the info online is so much better! I don't even get the Sunday paper, a major relief since I always hated newsprint. Hope that helps somebody.:D So why can't I keep free of clutter? Here's one area I could use a suggestion for. I have more closet space than you can imagine. But the shelves are so deep that it's hard to keep things organized. I do have a bin-drawer that takes care of some of it. I wonder about getting some more, or if there's just some pull-out shelving around that would work in an apt.-if I owned, of course, I could install roll-out shelving. I once had a professional organizer come to my home and she made a list of where everything was. Now that's something I could use my helper for. :idea: Paper and records are my complete downfall. Actually, I have the same problem with computer clutter--just got Copernic for that, thankfully. But I don't need files, I need BINS. A lot of filing chores, like inserting tabs into Pend-a-flex bother my hands. Well, since I bought some old dress gloves to use for paper, I could just make up the labels and then put the gloves on and file. I know you're probably not interested in all of this, but it's amazing how ideas come to mind once you start writing. I'm going to keep after this and come back to it. Actually, New Year's Day has been my historical organizing day for the year, so now I can get an early start! Best, dani:) :!:
dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby alwen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:50 am

Yeah, I need this -- the toy-cluttered floor has really gotten out of control in the last couple of months since school started. So, let's see, how about a concrete goal? Goal: -Remove the toy clutter in the living/dining room to the kid's room by lunchtime today.
alwen
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby tui » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:28 pm

It's the books... and the dust bunnies, and the HUGE spiders on the top shelves (this house is very spidery). Putting away and thinning out the donations for the book fest. I shall ignore the comments from the volunteer book collector about the number of boxes I have passed on already... And the self-generated papers. Notes on. Seemed a great idea at the time but I've moved on since then. Why, oh why, does New Year come in the middle of the summer fire ban???!!! Do I want a shredder for a present so I can turn it all to garden mulch? Storage. Where? AAARRRRGGGH! Thanks, Tituba. It has to be done. :cry:
tui
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Clutter Challenge - December 17-December 31

Postby jk » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:56 pm

Great idea! For me it's paper, and the fridge (I think things in there are mutating). On the other hand, my bedroom closet is beautiful. Any suggestions on how to deal with spouse's stuff? He's much more of a slob than I am.
jk
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:03 am

Ta Dah! Cleaned out kitchen cabinets and fridge. Tossed outdated food and have a bag of food to donate that I put in my car so I won't forget. I do need to wash the inside of the fridge though. Sorted linen closet and made it tidy. Don't have magazine clutter as I've been really good at donating them all year.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:43 pm

Another victory here--I dropped off used magazines at the library yesterday. Between my son and I, we receive about 15 magazines a month, the types you don't see donated very often, like Artchitectural Digest, Machine Design, Writer's Digest, the Horn Book, etc. I also weeded through my book collection again, and found about 40 that I am going to try to sell on Amazon. (Two bad I had already thrown out about 200 earlier this year) Some I did give to the Salvation Army, but I didn't feel good about it becasause I suspect that most of them were thrown out. (That's only because I never see any good books on their shelves.)
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:20 pm

I did manage to do a lot since posting. Always more on the backburner. I reckon the big challenge for most of us is to de-clutter everything imaginable and then not to have any more appear for a month - how hard will that be??? :shock:
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby dani » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:57 pm

urszula thomas wrote:I did manage to do a lot since posting. Always more on the backburner. I reckon the big challenge for most of us is to de-clutter everything imaginable and then not to have any more appear for a month - how hard will that be??? :shock:
Yeah right, Urszula! So far, I have managed to find homes for my "chemo hats." They distributed them for free and some were just great. Even got 2-3 stylish wigs, in case I need them. But boy did those hats leave themselves all over my apartment!
dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby webmaestro » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:09 pm

uszula said:
And loads more to do - it's stacked all over the place hopefully will get most done by this weekend. It would be nice to be organised next year and just tidy up now and again instead of having to machete your way through it
I wished I had seen this posting a while ago. I hope its not too late to be a part of this "challenge" I do have one weekend left. Let's see what I can get done! :idea: Wish me luck! :?
Web site Designer in the Global Village http://www.mississaugawebsites.ca
webmaestro
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby kashtanka » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:26 pm

Does anyone know if there's a certain condition that has been named for people who no matter how much cleaning and organizing they do, their place always has excess junk in it, and at any set moment they need to do extra cleaning when they expect company? If there is, I think I have it!
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges