Clutter Challenge - December 17-December 31

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: Clutter Challenge - December 17-December 31

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:28 pm

I didn't pay attention that this was a year-end clutter thread, not the regular clutter thread. I had posted my eighth wonder of 2007 (eighth accomplishment :) ) in the success thread, but I won't clutter that one up, I'll continue here. viewtopic.php?p=201043#p201043 Last night I completely cleared the two bedrooms of ALL the junk. Yuck. Now, it's all over the rest of my house. Today , I started going through boxes and throwing out papers. Right now, my toss limit is rather loose, but as I keep going, I start getting more and more brutal. I know even if I throw something out that I'm in the middle with (on the fence), I won't regret it. So, I have: Books. (Lot's of) I just put two 6 foot bookshelves worth up of my favorite books a few months ago. I still have several boxes of other books. Too many types to mention them all, old programming books, relationship & dating type books, misc. job hunting and career, misc. business, old books from my childhood, high school year books. I still have two other 6 foot bookshelves besides the first two, so I may keep some to partially fill them, but I had already packed these "left overs" into these boxes to get rid of them, and they started creeping back out :) Magazines. I don't know how many years worth of Consumer's Reports. I can look everything up online now, right? :) (I've subscribed online, so I think when my paper copy runs out, I'm just going to keep it online only. I've gotten 5 years at a time in the past, so I think I have a while. Psychology Today, Scientific America Mind, Skeptic. Interesting stuff, but will I ever use them again? Photos. TONS of regular film photos all in bags and still in the boxes with their negatives. I've put a couple travel trips in their own albums, but since then they're just in bags. Now, I'm in the digital age with my camera, so it's just a matter of disk space and backups, which I'm much better at than dealing with paper photos. Art work. I still have all my art work from college. Now that I have a digital camera, I'm going to take pictures of everything, still keep the best (and maybe hang some), but the other stuff I can weed out. Still have a lot of art from childhood to teenager, high school, etc. Maybe I can also keep the best and take pictures of the rest. I think that's it, but it's enough. I have a few days to do this, so I'll keep picking at it.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:51 pm

Does anyone know if there's a certain condition that has been named for people who no matter how much cleaning and organizing they do, their place always has excess junk in it, and at any set moment they need to do extra cleaning when they expect company? If there is, I think I have it!
Yes, it is called: C an't H ave A nyone O ver S yndrome
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:13 pm

Tituba, excellent answer!
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:30 pm

Today I boxed up some books (my husband and I both have two 6 ft. bookcases), and except for a few that I selected to give to certain friends, they are all going to Goodwill. Also, a friend of mine who knows about human service groups (such as shelters for abused women and pregnant teens) has volunteered to help with distributing other things I have as a result of getting some new things for Christmas.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:35 pm

I tossed old food from cabinets and fridge. Cleaned fridge and stove. Stove was a mess. Linen closet is sorted and organized. No piles of magazines to toss as I conquered that habit awhile ago. Next month - my project is converting my VCR tapes or tossing them once and for all.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:07 pm

kashtanka wrote: ... their place always has excess junk in it, and at any set moment they need to do extra cleaning when they expect company?
Also, maybe ... normal? I guess it depends on what standard you want your house to look like for company (or what you think they want to see). How many times have I said, "Oh, I'll have to pick up before you come over", and they said, "Oh no, don't bother". Well I do anyhow. :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:09 pm

Tituba wrote:Next month - my project is converting my VCR tapes or tossing them once and for all.
I forgot about that one, I'm doing that while I sort other junk (it takes as long as watching the movie to copy). I'm copying my favorite movies, then tossing the rest, it's not worth the bother.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby webmaestro » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:26 am

I only know two people -friends - that their homes are immaculate. They pride themselves as possible recipients of the home and gardens seal of approval. I beleive it is inherited..a learned behaviour. If you are comfortable in your mess or tolerate it then so be it. But, I think we could all use lessons here. I must allocate certain time each day or every other day for this task. I might get a white board and stare at that --as a reminder.
Web site Designer in the Global Village http://www.mississaugawebsites.ca
webmaestro
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:35 am

I forgot about that one, I'm doing that while I sort other junk (it takes as long as watching the movie to copy). I'm copying my favorite movies, then tossing the rest, it's not worth the bother.
Yes, this is where I'm at. Like everyone else, I copied alot of movies, concerts etc on VCR tape. I can't even remember the last time I watched any of it and have packed up the tapes and moved them from place to place. I started copying them to DVD and then realized I was just transferring the media and would then have alot of DVDs I wasn't watching either. Plus, I can always get a favorite movie from Netflix. So, I'm only copying family movies and certain concerts. The rest, I'm tossing.
If you are comfortable in your mess or tolerate it then so be it.
I'm not comfortable with the mess, so that is why it has been my focus for the past year. Perfect, it will never be and I'm not shooting for that. Clean and so I can find things would be great.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:25 pm

Now I finally have things settled about what to do with my books. First, I was going to sell them on Amazon, until I found that I didn't like one of the terms in their policy. Then, I was going to give them to Goodwill, and hope that some good came out of my donation...I wasn't too confident that it would. Then, by looking online I found Books of America, an organazation that sells books that are donated to them, and uses the money to buy books for disadvantaged children. That is where my like-new condition books are going. I completely met the challenge by doing all three items on Tituba's list. My pantry and linen closet look great, and I have a lot of space on my bookshelves again! What a great feeling.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:05 am

Wonderful work everyone! Just doing three tasks like this can make such a big difference. For me, getting the old food out of the fridge was a big deal. I tend to let that stuff go until it is a chemistry experiment. Ug.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:42 am

Tituba, maybe you could throw other challenges out to the board at different times next year, as I know that everyone has other areas to work on, such as the paper-work monster!
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:52 pm

Scenario Thinker wrote:Books. (Lot's of) I just put two 6 foot bookshelves worth up of my favorite books a few months ago. I still have several boxes of other books. Too many types to mention them all, old programming books, relationship & dating type books, misc. job hunting and career, misc. business, old books from my childhood, high school year books. I still have two other 6 foot bookshelves besides the first two, so I may keep some to partially fill them, but I had already packed these "left overs" into these boxes to get rid of them, and they started creeping back out :)
OK. Stressed about how to sort out the books. Since I had two completely empty bookshelves upstairs in a bedroom, hauled several boxes of books back up, leaving easily determined NO's downstairs (maybe 15/20%). Lo and behold, out of ten total shelves, I only filled six. AND, I see some more that will probably be easy NO's. Now that I got ALL my books up on shelves, I can see everything "at once" and evaluate the situation better. I also determined I'm sort of a librarian. I have all these books, plus a lot of movies. I even repaired some book jackets with clear packing tape. Works good!
kashtanka wrote:I found Books of America, an organazation that sells books that are donated to them, and uses the money to buy books for disadvantaged children. That is where my like-new condition books are going.
My eyes lit up at first, but it's the same thing with no less than 4 used bookstores I inquired about a couple years ago. They weren't interested in the books I had. Some are in very good condition, though.
Scenario Thinker wrote:
Tituba wrote:Next month - my project is converting my VCR tapes or tossing them once and for all.
OK. the DVD/VCR machine I bought a couple years ago isn't the best. I thought the movie didn't look the best quality, so I played the tape on one machine and the DVD on the other and yes, there was a definite quality degradation. Not as bad as a sound only movie ( :) ), but I don't like it. I think I'm going to keep the best tapes and just get rid of the ones I don't want any more. I don't have that many anyhow compared to DVDs. I'll have to deal with them when Blue Ray is the way to go or something. Sometimes if you just accept the technology transition of your inventory at the point where you converted, it makes it easier to take.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby spncity » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:03 pm

kashtanka wrote:Does anyone know if there's a certain condition that has been named for people who no matter how much cleaning and organizing they do, their place always has excess junk in it, and at any set moment they need to do extra cleaning when they expect company? If there is, I think I have it!
I thought it was called C.H.A.O.S. Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome. :) spncity
http://www.DesignsforGiving.com - Publisher of "Living a Life of Significance: 101 Quotations Inspiring People Who Make a Difference"
spncity
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby alwen » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:02 pm

I see I never came back and reported on my progress. For Christmas, the child got one of those rack & bin toy storage units. Now most of his toys are either actively being played with, or I can hand him a bin and say "Fill this with the toys you have on this table." Now we need a January clutter challenge!
alwen
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges