Clutter Challenge - December 17-December 31

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: Clutter Challenge - December 17-December 31

Postby webmaestro » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:54 pm

I will take the january challenge I missed the last one. I have a border coming in on Saturday...to clean & get set up!! I'm going to get by "with a little help from my friends". Cheers to ALL: :D have a great & wonderful, clutter free NEW YEAR! :shock: :? :wink:
Web site Designer in the Global Village http://www.mississaugawebsites.ca
webmaestro
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:57 pm

I've discovered something VERY interesting about clutter, at least in my family. At the moment, I am losing the clutter war. I went home for Christmas. It was my dad's first Christmas alone since my mom died in April and my family, my brother's family and my cousin's family decended on him over Christmas. We got him through it, and I'm glad. However, this was the first time I was able to cart back some of the stuff that I was left in my mother's will. A handwritten note about who got what. I had to rent a truck to cart back the stuff that is mine. A nice antique dining room table,the family silver, a dressing table from our summer home that was in my room there, and her sewing machines. Very big fancy sewing machines. A Huskvarna Viking programmable sewing machine and a Serger. At least I was able to dump a lot of her sewing stuff, old patterns, most of the unfinished projects, that sort of thing. I think learning how to use these things might have to wait until I retire! Oh, and a big fold-out sewing cabinet that holds a lot of stuff and you mount a sewing machine to the deck. There is also a set of china from my grandmother, I think, that is still at the house. My dad is determined to get rid of as much stuff as possible. I figured out that this is a generational game of "Tag, you're it!" Pass off the goods to someone else as fast as possible and you're free. Now I'm stuck with this stuff. But what can you do with your grandmother's china, you can't sell it at a garage sale. So I will keep it and hope that I can pass it off as quickly as possible to one of my kids. My mother always told me that she didn't care what happened to any of her stuff after she died. She wasn't going to burden us with the guilt of having to keep this stuff. But I'm burdening myself, and holding it for the next generation. My sister-in-law and I were playing a reverse tug of war with some of this stuff. "You take it." No, you take it!" At least we will be able to pass some stuff off to my neice, she's the closest one to setting up her own household. She'll finish college in 3 more semesters. My daughters are still a long way off from that. Oh, and the ultimate clutter: When my dad goes we'll inherit TWO houses! The main one had been in our family for three generations already. It was built by my great-grandfather. I want my life to be simpler, not more complicated. At the moment, I'm losing the fight.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby webmaestro » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:02 pm

Did you ever hear of garage sales and tag sales? I bought a desk, hutch and end table at a garage sale. I even bought chine. Yes you can sell anything. They sell frig's stoves. A family was moving to California and was selling all their furniture.
Web site Designer in the Global Village http://www.mississaugawebsites.ca
webmaestro
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:02 pm

As the challenge for December tasks is over, I'm locking this thread. There is a new January, 2008 challenge thread.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Monthly Challenges