Clutter Challenge - January 2008

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: Clutter Challenge - January 2008

Postby Unity » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:14 pm

I was wondering if you think this is possible...recognizing the 'periods' a person has during the day, and filling them better. Mahara I think if I didn't have a computer, life would be much easier. I wonder how many of us would gave organised homes either if there was very little free time or else we were the sorts that just got on with it and never put things off?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:44 pm

Amen, Urs! I guess I just like to think there is a pattern to our days, and that we can ease ourselves into a new one we like better. Oddly, I can sometimes change entirely, with ease. I can go without TV, or computering, and not miss either. Then, when the opportunity to take these up again, appears, I actually choose to do them again. I think I could choose not to, as easily. It's odd. Maybe the difficulty comes in changing a whole lifestyle, all at once. Maybe it is overwhelming until we break it down into managable bits. I once sorted my entire wardrobe, down to, say, 1/3 of the quantity it was before. It took me three days, and I put it away into the closet and boxes every night. I loved the exercise...I felt I was really on top of things...and I felt I was ready to rebuild, fill in the gaps to a good, functioning wardrobe. That was...uh...several years ago, and my purchasing habits caught up to me once more. :roll: Back to the drawing board! M.
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:43 pm

I finished the master bedroom closet! Amazing! It took several hours, but I got rid of a bag of trash, filled about 10 boxes for charity, sorted out what I want to sell, re-organized a little bit (so that the space works better), vacuumed, and realized that I should re-do the closet organizing system that is currently there. It's not very convenient. Needs more shelves. I don't own many clothes (for the curious: 4 pairs of pants, 2 sweaters, 7 shirts, 10 t-shirts, 6 pairs of work-out pants, a few pairs of shoes, a purse or two), so there's a lot of other stuff that I would like to store in there (bedding, books, keepsakes, projects, etc). Will be back with my decluttering goal for this week.
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:48 pm

Might be an interesting excercise to list our clothes not necessarily in public. If that Trinny and Suzanna came to my house they would be in for a shock. Since I put on weight (how many years was that :D ?) I've found clothes a nightmare. So I wear some old faithfuls that I know look pretty grotty and got a couple of things for best if needed. That's why without fail, the losing pounds thread is necessary. Trouble is I used to be so spoiled with clothes. Used to get dustbin bags of upmarket gear including coats for free which were from a size smaller to a size larger than me so always found things to fit. Unfortunately all that stopped about 5 years back and I've struggled to buy things ever since. And what didn't fit me I'd pass on to friends. It used to be such fun having dozens of outfits to try on, usually items you would never dream of buying yourself. That's why I like charity shops so much, there are clothes from designer types to cheap ones, but a very wide variety of different styles. Still it's not easy to try on 10 and decide which one you like the best. Not with shopping bags, umbrellas and a very narrow cubicle :D Mango, everytime I get something out of my closet I think of you as I'm practically fighting my way through clothes to reach something on the floor.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:01 pm

Forgot to post my own progress. I just finished sorting my dolls house things (I had 2 large picture frames with compartments apart from the completed room boxes). I removed all the miniatures from the frames and added them to the settings. It's all looking neat and tidy until a time I can work on the houses. Then I got the empty frames and put them into a plastic box in another room along with a really nice mahogany glass cabinet that was another bad buy for miniatures. Also tidied that room and cleared the bed of stuff. There's more to do in that room but the worst is done.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:52 pm

Even though I DID go through my excess junk accumulated in my bathroom yesterday, most of my weekend was spent moving forward financially ( see viewtopic.php?p=201988#p201988 ). I go through expired medicines fairly regularly, but then I also threw out a bunch of old bottles of junk and other stuff that I'll never use. One thing that may be humorous, when I've gone to hotels over the years, I "steal" their soaps. If I'm there for one day, I'll put the unused soap in a plastic bag and take it home. If I'm there more than one day, I "hide" the soap so they give me a new one, I bring the hidden one back out and use it, and then take home the unused soap still in the wrapper or box. They're getting more savvy these days (and I suppose cutting costs), but usually what they'd do is just put a new soap out even though the first one is still there in use. ANYHOW, I had this entire drawer full of soap in wrappers and boxes. I started using the few ones that I had started using in the hotels first, but have stacked all of them at the various sinks in my house to use up over the months and probably years. By the way, I only kept the hand wash soaps. Usually the bath and shower soaps were pretty well used up (and less sanitary I assume) and I threw them out (in the hotels). And like I say, almost 95% or even more are still in the original wrappers or soap boxes. In the old days, they used to have these things where you could put used up soap slivers inside and pack them tight to make another bar, but I don't know if they thought that was a good idea or not (or sanitary), because I don't see anything like that any more. Now, I just use my soap up pretty slim before I throw it out. :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:08 pm

Instead of throwing them out, and in the spirit of green, see http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf001425.tip.html
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:15 pm

Excellent! It's one of those why didn't I think of that (the microwave) ideas. Thanks!
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:21 pm

Congrats on that room, Urs! I went a little crazy after I finished with the closet and spent most of the rest of the day gathering things up for the charity pick-up. It's the VVA, and they pick up at your house (even if you're not home, if you leave the stuff on the porch) and leave a tax receipt! http://www.scheduleapickup.org I also got through all four of the boxes that were in the exercise room, broke down a lot of cardboard, took out some more trash, gathered stuff to take to work (my new job (at the same place) starts on Feb. 1st and I will (hopefully) have a new office). I also managed to fix the printer (one of the cord connections was loose), and tried out a new recipe to use up some of the chicken in the freezer. My biggest accomplishment throughout this decluttering is not leaving a mess behind me when I'm finished (or half finished).
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby dani » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:12 am

I got such a giggle from ST's pilfered soap that I had to share something I've found myself doing in recent years. I quit buying magazines when the Internet came of age, but I now take them from doctors' offices! I was surprised to find a nice little stack that I had to weed out right away. I'm also getting my computer Desktop program more organized. One of my projects for the week-end was to review a couple of manuals for Office and Windows XP to shore up some of the gaps in my knowledge. Anyhow, I've been saving all kinds of folders and files on the Desktop without realizing how much disk space they take up. So, my first step on the PC was to convert them all to shortcuts and store the actual stuff. Now I've got all these little "shortcut to" icons that look just terrible. So my next task is to hone up on the Startup because of ways you can store things there (I guess). Find myself getting better at replacing things where they belong. Best, dani
dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:44 am

I don't have any confessions like you guys :D I only take would-be trash with me -the plastic glass from the library water cooler that everyone else throws away but I take it home and put my used teabags into it. There is so much plastic around these days that is used once then discarded - dread to think what the state of our soil is like with all that in the landfills. Mango - You're going to have the tidiest home ever!
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:56 pm

Urs, I realized recently that I always have the goal of having a clean and organized home, and have had for years. I just keep repeating it every year. It occurs to me that it will probably require actual CLEANING to get it that way. Ridiculous, I know, but I was one of those children whose mother did ALL of the housework, so I never really learned any routines or techniques. But times they are a-changing! Today, I did the daily cleaning and piled everything for the charity pick-up on the porch. A lot of stuff, and it's nice to see it going. I think my goal for this week will be to move the printer to the kitchen and then move the coffee table that I have been using as a bedside table to my husband's study. Then must move the actual bedside table from upstairs. I think I will also go through and declutter my bathroom cabinets.
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:20 pm

Mango, you are doing so much work that it is really inspiring to read about your accomplishments. Way to go. I loved reading about the number of bags and boxes you extracted from your bedroom closet....closets can hold a lot of stuff can't they? In my situation, I did my own cleaning when I was growing up, and kept a very tidy home of my own for several years. i became messy when I fell into a major depression, which has lasted quite a few years now. Today I felt extremely proud of myself. The landlord came to measure the space to put a new dryer in and he had to go through my basement to get to the laundryroom. I was so pleased that he was going to see the result of all my decluttering down there. Mango, I can't believe how little you own in the way of clothing! That is amazing. I didn't note where you live, but I'll venture to guess that you live in a warm climate if you only own 2 sweaters. Living in the cold Northeast, I depend on my sweater collection to get me through the winter. I even wear light cotton sweaters in the summer...I love sweaters.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:25 am

Around midnight I got sidetracked into some unexpected de-cluttering. Previously I'd sorted out some craft items to take to my hobby club for this morning. The just before bed decided that there was too much stuff as it was likely to be raining so umbrella's would be needed plus i needed to take library books to be returned, and shopping to be bought etc. So I got the idea of looking through all my craft magazines to see if I could find a certain one with a free xstitch kit of a Xmas design that had a charm - as I normally spent most of the year making Xmas ornaments and hadn't started one for January. So out came all my stacks of mags. Spent about an hour tidying. But ended up taking something completely different with me. Afterwards I looked up at the cupbpoard top - full of papers to be filed since before Christmas and wondered why I don't get enthusiastic about that :D So how have you all been doing? Kashtanka good going with that clear basement.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:41 pm

I was just wondering, and excuse me if I'm repeating someone elses thought, but I'm wondering if scanners have more clutter than most people? The reason I say this is that I read somewhere that the neatness of your home and spaces has to do with the state of your mind. Cluttered mind, cluttered spaces. It's true that most of us have numberous projects going on, and minds that are constantly "flying". I'm not using those things as excuses, but it could be the reason so many scanners have trouble with controlling their clutter.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges