Clutter Challenge - January 2008

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: Clutter Challenge - January 2008

Postby urbanpioneer » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:57 pm

I was recently motivated to clean out a lot of clothes from my closet because a friend of mine had planned a "fair trade" clothing event at her yoga studio. You bring clothes you no longer want (or can fit into!) and trade them for someone else's clothes you do want. Anything left over was going to be donated to the Women's shelter. This one-day event was much more motivating for me than just being able to take a bunch of slothes to the Salvation Army, since this had a deadline, and would directly benefit women who could really use the donation. I have been trying to AVOID following this thread because I'm just too frustrated with the lack of time in my life and the demands on it by my teenagers, job and husband. BUT, in spite of my best efforts I have been motivated by this thread to try and de-clutter my work bench in the basement. I need to get this doen so I can disassemble it and throw it out and buy a real one and put it in another place so I can get the electrical work done. My old one is completely in the way. I'll let you know if I make any progress at all.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:43 pm

Urbanpioneer, I'm glad that you didn't avoid the thread. It's nice to have you along. Kashtanka, my real OTT scanning started when my son was born with a rare medical condition so my bedroom was heaving with medical books and all sorts. Then met friends into crafts and the rest was history :D Before all that, I was a scanner and only had the materials for whichever project I was working on. It was all very basic and minimal. Only had a couple of pamphlets too - instead of the stacks of mags I have now. What about you?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:18 pm

Urszula, I was also a minimalist when I was younger, in my 20's and 30's. My clutter really started when my second husband and I moved in together and combined all our stuff in one house. I lost it at that point. I wan't big into crafts then...a kitchen nook was big enough for the materials. Slowly, I took on more crafts, more courses, collected more books and clothes (I was a clothes horse when I was still woorking). As the kids grew, my collections grew, and by the time they were ready to leave the house (my son left about a year ago) I needed the extra bedroom to hold all my stuff. I couldn't do without that room now! It's a good thing we are working on our clutter now, isn't it?
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:42 pm

Not much progress today. Got through about half of the daily cleaning, took out the trash and recyclables (this is the thing I always put off as long as I can. I sometimes skip it altogether and miss the pick-up!). Working on decluttering my office as I will be moving in a few weeks... I've heard that there are programs that allow you to move the contents of one computer to another... Anyone know of these? I need to switch everything from one laptop to another. On another note, any ideas for a financial challenge? The weight loss and clutter threads are helping me so much that I keep wishing there was one for finances. Good night, all.
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:47 pm

Sort of, there is this viewtopic.php?t=11186&start=0
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:53 pm

A good decluttering day today. I took a box of stuff to the office, and brought a different box of stuff home. I worked on decluttering my desk at work, went through all of the drawers and tossed a lot of stuff. Labeled some things for my successor, and took a pile of things to their proper homes (other people's offices). When I got home, I moved the coffee table into my husband's study and moved two tables downstairs. I set one up in the kitchen (and replaced the printer with the one I brought home from work, successfully getting the old one out of the bedroom and into my husband's study) and put the other table in the bedroom (where I set up the fax machine). I'm taking the morning off tomorrow, and I hope to get through the bathroom cabinets. I also got rid of a non-friend who is very negative all the time and was badgering me constantly at work. Does that count as decluttering?
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:47 am

As usual Mango, you have done a lot at once. And yes, that friend is a big step. Those personal ones can be the hardest.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:22 pm

Not much done today. Didn't get to the daily cleaning. I did a little bit more decluttering at work and took in some cleaning supplies. I need to clean the microwave and refrigerator, go through all of the files that I'm leaving for my replacement, take everything off the walls, clean my two fans... Oh, and move everything from one laptop to another. I'm pleased with my progress, though. Still haven't tackled the bathroom cabinets, maybe before I go to bed. The power was out for 3 hours and I was able to find the number to call in about 10 seconds (by flashlight!) because of all the filing I did last week! :D
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:21 am

I was really hoping to make a dent on the workbench this weekend, but I've just been informed of a shower leaking into the closet below in my apartment building. I knew of the problem before and did everything I could think of in the shower itself to stop the leak, but it's still leaking! Now I'm going to be spending my weekend digging through the ceiling of my tenants closet and figuring out where it's leaking. fix it and then put the closet back together. Arrgh!
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:27 am

Mango - I bet your house is looking really good, and it must be a relief that you found things during the power cut. I know that I'd be in probs as I have no idea where I stashed the matches ( this came up recently and I'd lost a bag of them) also don't have any flashlights with batteries as such. Except if the power went next few days I'd be ok as I finally managed to change the batteries on the loft light and it's still on my dressing table! Urbanpioneer - I was wondering - who taught you all your diy skills?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:04 pm

It's one of those 20 steps back days, when I'm putting all my miniatures into my new houses and having a huge pile of spare display boxes (where on earth am I going to put them???) and stuff is piling up in the other room too. While trying to find certain supplies, I went into the other room to the stationary shelf and a load of stuff fell down onto my head!!! So much to do that I hadn't even expected. Hope we start a new thread in February and beyond.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:24 am

Urs, I have been having a couple of those days. I would really like to continue this thread into February (and beyond), too! Once I get decluttered and organized, I would like to start some home improvement projects. May need a separate thread for that! Goals for this week: Declutter husband's study. Fill more boxes for charity pick-up. Get back on track with daily cleaning. Get rid of gas grill. List stuff for sale. PS: hope your head is okay!
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:49 am

I haven't done any big decluttering in the last week, but I plan to do Part II of the basement this week, and a major paper declutter. I do the paper declutter about every 6 weeks, and I'm due. Especially my desk, which has a stack of papers on each side of the computer. I will do the desk in a few minutes because I'm rearing to go!
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:20 pm

Hi everyone, I've lapsed. Although I did unpack and hang up some things I'd bought but other daily routines I can't face. I think that blooming pound I put on this morning probably did it :? Or it might be the filthy weather. Whatever, I'm seriously uninterested. However, as I 've invited all the family over Friday some cleaning will have to be done even if no de-cluttering. The whole thing is stressing me because of the weather and having to walk out in it to buy things. So what do I do about it when I have a whole free day today???? Do nothing 8) Mango, I'm thinking that we could do with a number of different goal threads - yes the home improvement one is good as I have a lot of projects in mind. Kashtanka, you're well organised with your 6 week cycle.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:53 pm

I went through some stacks of papers today. I think that's about it now for paper. Most of it I want to keep for now (financial records, etc.)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges