February 2008 Weight Loss/Fitness Challenge Thread

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

February 2008 Weight Loss/Fitness Challenge Thread

Postby Tituba » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:17 am

As the January weight loss thread proved to be helpful, I am starting a February thread. To participate: 1. Log in everyday what you ate (be honest - don't edit it thinking people would disapprove. We all have our demons) 2. Put down what is your monthly goal. 3. Weigh in at the end of the month and tell us the result. Journaling Challenge - write this sentence on top of a page of paper and see what answers you come up with: "I'm scared to lose weight because": Initially, you will get defensive and say "of course I'm not scared to lose weight." But, resistance is fear and I for one, have resistance to exercise. So, if I'm not exercising, eating sugar, then somewhere there is fear. Explore this question on your own. Especially if you found yourself doing things last month that were counter productive to healthy living.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: February 2008 Weight Loss/Fitness Challenge Thread

Postby Tituba » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:20 am

My goal this month is 6lbs. Also - to eat one vegetable and one fruit a day and do 30 min of treadmill at least three days a week. Feb. 1 Breakfast 2 egg omelette with mushrooms & cheese
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:50 am

Thanks for the challenge Tituba. I now there are a few reasons why losing weight have been difficult for me, that's why I believe that following this thread is such a good idea as a part of my mind is saying 'you've done enough, it's too much hassle to continue'. A long time ago when I only ever had to lose 7lbs I remember it took a fortnight and I was back to normal. However, it was a very hard 2 weeks, nothing like the inactive days I have now, nor did I eat like now. But 14 days isn't much to give up. Now of course when it's hugely more than 7lbs, it seem like too hard to even attempt. So that's one of my reasons for keeping the weight on - avoiding the hard work. Another I believe is that I used to act in a certain way when I was slim and there is a fear I might return to that (as though I have no self control whatsoever :shock: ) So I think my mind is saying that if I stay bigger, I can't let myself down in that way. And there is the comfort eating side too. This week I've let certain things get on top of me and today something happened which has sent me into worry mode. While thinking through that I need to let it go as I've been doing most of this month, my hand reached automatically to the crisps even though a few days ago they burned my mouth as the flavours are so strong. My aim is 8lbs again that way I have to keep up with the excercises. This week I started snacking again and I need to re-focus. Br - crumpet with butter early lunch - ham and salad sandwich, bag of low fat, low sugar crisps, minute piece of birthday cake minus the icing
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:25 am

Thank you urs - your candor will not only help you, but others.
my mind is saying 'you've done enough
That is resistance. Give a listen to Barbara's podcast on resistance and see if you don't see the connection. I did. Listen to the Part 4 one first http://bsherny.libsyn.com/
Another I believe is that I used to act in a certain way when I was slim and there is a fear I might return to that (as though I have no self control whatsoever
That was then, this is now. You wouldn't hold a grudge against someone how behaved badly when they were 5 would you? Then time to let yourself off the hook for your own past. Journaling your fears and really digging through the fear is important. Otherwise, your saboteur will emerge just when you start being succesful and tell you to eat cake everyday. We all have the same demons. See http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet.fit ... index.html
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:02 pm

Thanks Tituba, I'll read the links in a minute. Actually reading through the posts again I remembered an interesting article I read yesterday. The title was 'Earn a fortune of only a week of work' or words to that effect. You had to work on yourself all day, think positively, read inspirational books etc and at the end of the week you receive all the money- would you do it? They suggested that most people would agree to it. Yet very few would continue after the first few days if they discovered they wouldn't receive the money. Mind you I think that my resistance has virtually gone as I'm determined to continue this month and further on so I'm not concerned about it. Naming the amount I want to lose is the trick I think and being on a seperate thread where we all start together. Tea - tomato flavour cous cous, chicken, thin pepperoni, salad, thin crackers with soft cheese walk, excs
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:51 pm

What was I saying - I don't have resistance???? Late night snacks galore tonight - oats with nuts and dry fruit (and milk) upteen crackers with BUTTER and cup a soup spoonfuls of peanut butter however, if I know I've got to lost those pounds, I will.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scannerqueen » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:00 pm

A new month, a new opportunity to succeed. My starting weight this morning: 76.6 kilograms. Even though I didn't quite reach last month's goal, I will make my goal for February a bit more ambitious and try to lose 4 kilos (roughly 8 lbs). I want to see 72 point something on my scale at the end of the month. :D Today: Café latte and small yogurt for breakfast, lentil soup for lunch. More café latte and yogurt for a snack. Then I had a craving for sweets and made myself a chocolate chip pudding, but I used skimmed milk and water to reduce fat and calories. A casserole with rice and leek for dinner. Two apples instead of candy :) Went to the gym and did my exercises plus 35 minutes of slow to medium speed jogging on the treadmill. Quite a successful day for me :) I decided that I am going to buy ready-made salads for lunch more often. There is a market nearby where they have different kinds of really nicely made, fresh salads with all kinds of veggies. I have always had a guilty feeling when I bought some, because I could make it just as nicely for a lot less money myself, if only I would take the trouble. So I often ended up not eating any salad, since I was too lazy to make it myself and too closefisted to buy the ready-made stuff. That is pretty stupid. :bash: Especially considering that I really could afford it. I guess I just have some demons on my back from my economical upbringing ("Yes, Mom, I know that I could buy the ingredients and cut them myself for half the price, but I am a big girl now and I decided that it's worth it for saving me trouble"). Well, that is part of my strategy for this month. Better than stuffing myself with granola, bread and jelly. Good luck to all of us
Scannerqueen
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:29 pm

Yes, a new beginning. A chance to look at what I ate last month and see where I could do better. Today I used the treadmill for 15 min. Granted, that isn't long enough, but I didn't let resistance win and not do it at all.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:54 pm

Tituba well done on the excercise. And you too Scannerqueen on your new meal ideas and listing to your own voice for a change. So that's two of us for 8lbs so far. I must admit that although I wrote exs on my post, its midnight in 3 mins and I still haven't done any. I often write that I've done them earlier on as I usually do at @ 9pm but tonight i was so engrossed in Derren Brown's The System - how he predicted 5 wins on horses from the night before - I totally forgot. p.s. it's not a system like anyone thinks it will be, no magic at all in case anyone reading get's too excited. So now, off I go and do them. 'Night everyone.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:57 pm

Hello Everyone, I am going to be honest and say that I didn't do the best today food-wise, but calorie-wise I'm within the right range. (I think) Breakfast: coffee and bannana Lunch: 2 slices of toast with jelly (not much nutrition, I know!) Dinner: spaghetti with meat sauce, tossed salad (not good because I used beef for the meat) Snacks: haven't had any yet but it's only around 7 P.M. My biggest problem is that I am so busy jumping from activity to activity that I don't think about eating that much, and sometimes wait until I'm starving to eat. I know this isn't good for blood sugar levels, and it's probably not very good for dieting. Oh, and I drink a lot of caffeine, and I've had that habbit for a long time.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:21 am

Hi everyone, Last night I did a lot of excs before bed so pleased I managed to fit them in. late breakf - quiche, salad, mayo late lunch - chicken and bacon panini, salad long walk, fast walking with a suitcase which I bought when out as I wanted to get back to mum's and leave it before it rained - will pick it up an a different day. For an empty case it was quite heavy. Kashtanka, doesn't seem to me as though you ate a lot.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:12 pm

Tea - potato cakes, can't remember how many excx
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scannerqueen » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:23 pm

breakfast: café latte, bread and jelly, yogurt lunch: the same dinner: leftovers from yesterday, low-fat chocolate pudding orange juice two twix mini candy bars Went to the gym, did my exercises plus 30 minutes of slow to medium jogging on the treadmill. Wonder if I can stop myself from eating more candy.
Scannerqueen
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:25 pm

Wonder if I can stop myself from eating more candy.
Why don't you just throw it out so you won't be tempted?
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scannerqueen » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:07 pm

Why don't you just throw it out so you won't be tempted?
I would, but my husband won't let me. I'll have to ask him to hide it from me again. Ate two more mini twix bars, plus an apple and a banana. Going to bed now to keep me out of trouble. :mrgreen:
Scannerqueen
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges