February Clutter Challenge 2008

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

February Clutter Challenge 2008

Postby Unity » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:53 pm

Today I moved a lot of stuff around my room and out of the room which means that in a short while I am going to have to do a MAJOR DE-CLUTTER. I had this brainwave to introduce a clothes horse thingy into my room so I could find my t-shirts and blouses easily instead of diving into the built in wardrobe which is deep and very hard to use. Of course there isn't the room for this thingy so all sorts of junk got moved round. I just covered a nasty pile of plastic bags, boxes and all sorts with a tablecloth to match my painted walls which will be ok for a few days while I think about WHERE ON EARTH I'm going to stick the armchair that I took out of my room :D So what about the rest of you - any sorting to do in Feb?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: February Clutter Challenge 2008

Postby mango » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:42 pm

Um, yes! Thanks for starting this thread for February, Urs. My decluttering goals for this month: 1. Sort through two bins of personal stuff that are upstairs. 2. Get rid of gas grill. 3. Call to schedule property survey.
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:36 pm

A few unplanned decluttering steps for today: 1. Got through all of the laundry. 2. Made room in bedroom closet for husband's clothes. 3. Daily cleaning. 4. Made scones with leftover cranberries. 5. Cleaned microwave. Been putting that off for too long. Here's a strategy that I got from Real Simple: put a wedge of lemon in a (microwave safe) glass of water. Microwave for 3 minutes, and leave sitting in microwave for 3 more minutes. Dried gunk wipes right off, and the microwave even smells nice! 6. Washed and dried kitchen rugs. Been putting that off for far too long as well. :roll:
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:38 am

My husband and I are clearing out his study to make room for his nephew, who's moving in today. :shock: Today's steps: 1. Moved husband's clothes to my closet and organized neatly. 2. Sorted through clothes and put in bins. Unbelievable. A few months ago, I could hardly even open the door. Now it holds TWO people's stuff, and the door opens easily. Thank God for that closet decluttering binge awhile ago, or it would have been a horrendous task.
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:02 pm

Hi Ladies: I hope you don't mind my joining your thread. I have been working hard cleaning out my house with the ultimate goal of moving. Right now I am working on paper ... so my goal is that by my birthday, Feb 21, I will have my desk, dresser and kitchen cleared of the paper that seems to be everywhere I look. I will have gotten rid of all the paper I no longer want and need and the remainder will be neatly organized and filed away. Steps today: *Pulled out filing cabinet and files. *Put books in "give away" box. *Threw out old cards. *Went through box of papers. Cha!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi Cha, glad you could join, hope you find it useful. mango - that's a lot of progress especially with the closet. Scones with cranberries - never had that - sounds lovely. Hope others can use the microwave trick, I don't have one anymore - it packed up about 3 years back and I've never missed it plus lots more room on the worktop (for clutter :D ).
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:03 pm

Welcome, Cha! Nice to see you. More decluttering: 1. moved boxes to porch for charity pick-up (must remember to schedule it!) 2. helped husband finish clearing out study 3. found a printer driver to make my Mac-incompatible printer print from my Mac (!) and save me from buying another one 4. packaged books to mail 5. cleared up messy area in bedroom under table (my trouble spot) 6. emptied out and organized purse 7. cleaned living room 8. put out scrubs to return to former lab 9. stacked husband's work stuff neatly in living room (to encourage him to take it to work)
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:35 am

Put away some craft projects and other stuff that was on top of my dressing table - horrified that they were piled on top of some paperwork that was really important and could have been forgotten. Must get into the habit of putting away things that I've unpacked or moved.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby katchal » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:14 am

Major de-cluttering success this week! After 6 years of procrastination to select and purchase and a month and a half of waiting for the contractor to install, I finally got nice little set Ikea cabinets installed in our laundry room! The painters are coming tomorrow. So now a huge set of heirloom and specialty dishes, pots, small appliances, ets. that don't fit in our small kitchen, but that I need a few times a year now have a tidy home! After the painting's done I'm moving our key basket, mail sorting bin and cell phone chargers to the new counter right beside the garage door. Junk mail will now barely cross the threshold before it lands in the new trash can. Our phones will be charged and ready to go each morning. And I'll finally be able to find my keys reliably when I'm running late in the morning! Whoo hoo! Plus, last week I changed our maids' cleaning schedule from every other week to every week - so now we'll be forced to pick up clutter every week and the house will be clean twice as often! :-)
katchal
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:28 am

Katchal what a nice lot of progress. So the maid doesn't help you with the clutter then or just cleaning?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:37 pm

Today's steps: 1. Bought two notebooks, a desk calendar, and a wall calendar for my new job. I don't see how I will possibly get or stay organized at work without them. Spent the day shadowing another person today, and she was CRAZY out the WAZOO. 2. Put aside a few more items for the charity pick-up that I haven't scheduled yet. :oops:
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:01 pm

Today I threw away a full bag of garbage and an old cd player/radio. I also started preparing folders for the papers I will be filing later this week. I had to run several errands tonight because tomorrow we are getting what feels like our fifty-millionith snow storm this winter. I will be so happy when this madness ends! The good news is that tomorrow night I will be home and can continue my de-clutter project. Keep the faith! :D Cha!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Cha! » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:21 pm

The snow storm was worse than expected .... 19 inches of snow!! Now it's blowing and drifting ... what a pain! After so much snow already, I can't believe we've been hit with this! Today I gathered another bag of trash and started clearing the paper from my desk and chest of drawers. I also filed more of the papers I need to keep. I'm planning to stay home again tomorrow since I haven't even begun to clear out the driveway, etc., and I'm looking forward to making more progress in my de-clutter campaign. I am spurred on by the progress I can see already! I'm also proud that I have begun to stem the tide of paper by not buying magazines anymore. I love to read magazines so it's been tough, but I am now getting what I want to read from the library. Keep up the good work everyone! Cha!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Cha! » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:50 pm

How's everyone doing with their goals? I didn't do much de-cluttering today but I did manage to clear out a couple of cupboards in the kitchen. Hoping to get back in full force this weekend. Cha!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:00 am

Cha, that's serious weather you're getting. And you've been very busy too. I've put my sorting on hold this week as someone is moving out of home but next week I'll be back on track as I will have a very long list to accomplish in the next few months.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges