February Clutter Challenge 2008

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: February Clutter Challenge 2008

Postby kashtanka » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:50 am

Unity, my Mom is taking the clean up pretty well, considering she would never let anyone do it before. I think it's because she is sick now, and in bed most of the time.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:33 pm

I cleaned the bathroom (finally) and threw out a bag of junk and other trash. I even cleaned the cupboards and drawers! Now I have room for all of my stuff. :D
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:53 pm

Hello ladies, Kashtanka, I hope your mother feels better and perhaps the tidy house may make some difference Mango - well done, always a relief when a job like that is finished. You've reminded me of the bathroom now. I've got a thingy (large netted contraption with pockets) hanging at the back of the door crammed full of stuff, and I think that I only use about a couple of things. I did sort one drawer - socks and underwear and that was long overdue. Plus one half of the airing cupboard - all the towels and linens. And got a large bag of it for the recycling too. Mango - what was that thing you wanted to do with houses? I'm all into home staging. I wish I had thought about it earlier as I was studying interior design and getting really frustrated as the assignments were all about hotel kitchens when all I wanted to do was my bedroom (I picked the wrong course) had to give it up in the end as it was steering even further off the track I wanted. I didn't realise that I should have just read some books on home staging instead. I'm trying to look at my house from that perspective - and can see many hours de-cluttering :D before I begin to get any ideas what to do.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:27 am

I'm going to spend most of my time on the - FUNCTION -of the rooms. I've spent most of the day thinking about my self, the house in general, and the individual rooms. Instead of diving straight into colors etc I'm going to spend a long time really deciding what I want now as the house has changed from a family home to mainly me. But as the children are still visiting regularly and one comes home for long periods in between studying I still have to take them into account. I don't remember the last time I used the dining room (Christmas probably). It's like a laundry/shoe closet old school bags/disco :D and I actually miss eating there.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:59 pm

Today I made some major progress on my bedroom. I picked up things that weren't in their proper places and put them away. I threw away unnessesary papers, magazines, pens that no longer work, bottle caps on my desk, etc. I made files for papers that I wanted to save. I tossed some books that I thought no one would want. There's a knitting term that applies to my life in general. The term is SABLE, and it means Stash Aquisition Beyond Life Expectancy. In the last month alone I bought 43 skeins of yarn! I love knitting, but c'mon. There's no way I'm going to use it up for awhile!
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:23 pm

Hi Unity & Kashtanka: Congratulations on your progress! You guys are doing great! My goal was to have my paper done by my birthday which was last Thursday. I did not make my goal although I have gotten rid of quite a bit of the paper that was cluttering up the house. Today I got rid of more paper, cleaned out stuff in a kitchen cupboard and started getting a box of sale items ready for a spring yard sale. I also gave my sister two bags of extra hangers and clothes that she wanted from me. I have a large bag filled with clothes to donate to charity. I will make arrangements for pick up the clothes this week. Unity, I think you're onto something good when thinking about the function and purpose of each room. I am going to follow your lead and try to do the same. Keep up the great work! Cha!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Cha! » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:28 pm

Oops ... Hi Mango! I didn't mean to by-pass you and your post. Congratulations on your hard work and progress! Doesn't it feel great to get rid of unnecessary stuff? Cha!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:57 pm

Kashtanka - the wool fiasco - I used to have a lot (I thought) until I was given a sackful as I was asked to help finish a blanket that had been put aside by mum for about 15 years. You can imagine the size of the bag now especially that I've bought extra for more projects last few years. I knew about UFO and WIP but not SABLE. Brilliant! I'm going to have to tell my online craft pals about that one. Over 40 in one month???? Was that for a particular project? Mind you I knew one lady that had over 1000 balls and still buying more :shock: I got rid of some pens recently too. It was sad as I love gel pens but they never seem to work properly. Cha- you've done well with those clothes.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:41 pm

Unity, sounds like your sack will never be emptied! How does it feel to inherit someone else's project? Was the yarn at least pretty? Now, it's your "mum" so that's one thing, but if someone else wanted you to take on finishing her blanket, would you? Wow, 1000 balls and still buying more! Wow, wow, wow! I bought a lot of yarn at an annual clearance sale, without having a project in mind. At another yarn shop I bought 7 balls for a sweater, 5 balls for a vest, 6 balls for a small blanket, and 3 balls for a vest for my grandaughter. Currently I am working on the sweater and the vest. Now it's time to buckledown and knit! What projects are you working on, or are you too busy to knit?
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:49 am

Hi Kashtanka, I enjoyed working on mum's blanket. And it was really nice wool. However, although DK, being so old it is a different thickness than the sort you get now. Causing all sorts of problems - squares going wavy - if I used it with new wool. Re doing other people's. This is what I used to do - Mother Teresa India - crochet clothes, blankets (I also used to collect the finished items from other people so had bags of stuff all round the house :D ) Then I would walk round to the organisers house with the massive bin bags. OECS - cross stitch quilts/crochet blankets for elderly - I used to finish off people's squares as they often came in the wrong sizes FTS - same as above plus slippers tiny hats for tops of bottles - sold in aid of charity - forgot the name of that Cuddles - burial gowns and blankets, crochet lacey decorations, ribbons - I am still involved Love Darg Appeal - knitted scarves and all sorts of things Current project is large crochet squares in light blue. Not sure if this will go to Cuddles for a blanket or make it into a bedspread for home. There's a charity shop for animals near me that's asking for animal blankets so I was thinking of using all the odd colors of wool for that. But I've gone into slow motion as there are so many other unfinished projects - large linen sampler Xstitch, another flower to be stitched to patch a pair to be framed, 2 tray cloths, tiger cub (done one picture), dressing table mat, tablecloths x 2, current project - acrylic ball ornament which I've done as light blue snowflake and stars and doing some extra stars in gold but the thread keeps breaking. You can imagine all the stash for that. I normally make about 20 plus decorations a year, mixture of Xstitch, crochet and plastic canvas, polystyrene balls and sequins/pins. Then there's my dollshouses and related bits and pieces. Not to mention all the mags. My hands and wrists hurt a lot now from overdoing the crochet. So I'm not sure if I'll give it up or not. I rarely knit, as it's too slow as I do it a continental way. If you are interested in doing anything for charity, some of the ones above are for international members. One that that has always interested me but I've never done it was to make things for the Native Americal settlements.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:06 pm

Unity, you have done a lot of crocheting for charity...your list is amazing! You have been really generous with your time and materials! That's great. Crocheting must be really fast because I can't imagine knitting all that in a lifetime! I knit with relatively small needles such as size 6 ( 7 stitches and 7 rows to an inch). Plus, I'm slow! You must be really gifted. :D
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:14 am

Hi Kashtanka, Your knitting is probably the same speed as mine. I'm not sure of the tension but it's normally very tight. Did I imagine it but do you have a special room for your crafts? Clutterwise -In an interiors book I saw a bedroom that really appeals to me, walls are yellow, furniture white - which I already have but I know why I like it so much - no clutter at all. It looks airy and light. It's much bigger than mine I guess, but I'm sure there must be a way of achieving a similar look with a bit of imagination. I'm got paper piles that need filing. How are you all doing?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:01 am

Hi Unity, The bedroom with yellow walls and white furniture sounds dreamy. When it comes to clutter, so many of my family members and friends have no clutter...it always amazes me. They must be on top of things constantly. Or they are never home to mess it up. Yes I do have a seperate room for crafts. It is pretty neat because otherwise I wouldn't be able to feel comfortable in the room, and thus not be able to do my work. My room is very nice...all white furniture except for a floral easy chair, dark blue carpeting and some blue decorative touches. I was only able to turn this room into a craft studio about a year ago when my son moved out for good. From the sounds of it, you have a very big place to live in because you mention having more than one child...one at home and one who comes home from college. Am I right?
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:54 pm

Hi Kashtanka, I was trying to conjure up your craft room after your description. You lucky thing have a room like that to yourself. I have a 3 bed house. But it's terrible for storage. No cupboards downstairs (apart from kitchen and a place for coats) so there is clutter everywhere. At the moment both children are away and when they come home I have to move all my things out of their rooms. What color walls do you have?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:39 pm

Hi everyone, I had a long, hard talk with myself today because I have been clearing the clutter for so long ... too long, really. I have decided to set a deadline of May 31, 2008. I can do it, but I'm going to have to hustle. I have had to cut back on the things I've been discarding because my trash dumpster is full and completely snowed in because of all the snow we've gotten (and continue to get ... :cry: I have no idea when it can be emptied. But I am going to focus on gathering and preparing things for the upcoming yard sale. I am really looking forward to being done with this! Cha!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges