March Financial Challenge 2008

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: March Financial Challenge 2008

Postby mango » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:16 am

I sent the rug back to LL Bean! Now to wait for the check... And I think I solved my financial deficit by listing everything I own on eBay! Okay, the big thing is a laptop computer, but other stuff is selling well, too! I have 23 auctions running. I also have two things listed on Craigslist (and about to list more), and five books listed on Amazon.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:39 am

Hi izbit, re your post - you probably pressed SAVE instead. Mango - I know who to tap for a loan now :lol: with all those auctions and sales. How do you manage with all those going at once - can you keep track of them? Throughout the last few days I keep remembering something important I need to add to my list but then forget. Annoying.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Izbit » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:38 am

Unity, it's definitely worth keeping a pad (or just an index card) in your pocket to capture those thoughts as they wander through. Or a little voice recorder. Online, I really like http://www.rememberthemilk.com And it's free.
Izbit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:37 am

Urs, there is a summary page that lists all your auctions. It's fairly user-friendly. I want to know more about feng shui. I need to get my financial corner cleared out! :D Money from my eBay auctions in en route to my bank account, and I'm still selling stuff left and right. People are coming by to look at the grill and the bicycle. Still no success with the digital piano or the exercise bike, though. I read through Craiglist ads for the whole state every night and apply for what I can. No news yet on any of those income streams.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:30 pm

Izbit wrote:Unity, it's definitely worth keeping a pad (or just an index card) in your pocket to capture those thoughts as they wander through. Or a little voice recorder. Online, I really like http://www.rememberthemilk.com And it's free.
I joined this once before and didn't get on with it at all. So deleted my a/c. I really do need to jot things down, must learn to do it. ------------------------------------------------------------ Today I paid a bill that wasn't on my list. But didn't do anything more due to headache. You know how much I hate phoning. Last week I left a message and now discovered they never received it. It's my 2nd worse call to make this month. Mango - Feng shui -it can't do any harm to get everything clear. Based on what happened to me in the last week, if I get rid of that craft stuff I should be in for a massive windfall :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:39 am

Financial steps for yesterday: 1. Fixed PayPal account. 2. Answered questions re: eBay and Craigslist auctions. 3. Set appointment for someone to look at the bike tonight. 4. Various little jobs (Hits4Pay, WorkFromHome, GlobalTestMarket). 5. Browsed Craigslist for income opportunities. 6. Sent eBay invoices. 7. Canceled XM radio. :D Finally! 8. Ordered FICO score. Making some major progress on credit scores. :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:56 pm

A. FORM done 1. monitor Home fees situation 2. keep in mind money to repay when I get info where to send it 3. chase up address for card (upteenth time, they are ignoring me) -DONE 4.**** Phone C.A as it doesn't look as though they received my letter **** DONE 5. find out when P - has been set up 6. NW fee (putting off only because of address location - houses unmarked)-DONE 7. Do A's filing done 8. backpayments re Ch.A.?? done - don't qualify 9. phone letter - ask what it means - done 10. ****PO - - LETTER ARRIVED RE THAT - form plus PHONE 11. check if dentist fees covered and make appt done 12. bank - tell them about tax removed on interest 13. BS - letter arrived needs reading done MORE TO DO a. more financial filing b. check N.Insurance contributions re allowance c. measure doors check best price ------------------------------------------------- Mango, you've been very busy. I finally remembered what I had to do only because someone reminded me of it (b)
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:00 am

Yesterday's financial progress: -- Answered questions re: eBay items. -- Sold the bicycle! :D -- Did my small online jobs. -- Worked on financial spreadsheets. Sure is nice to be out of the red this month. Of course, the month isn't over yet. :shock: -- Paid bills. -- Applied for a few jobs on Craigslist. -- Called to check on credit report. -- Downgraded telephone service (will save $10 per month). -- Balanced bank account.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby athena » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:17 pm

Find out what happened to my W-2 form from my previous employer. They were supposed to have sent it out no later than February. I am still waiting. I might have to call the corporate office to find out what the hold up is. Hopefully, I'll get my hands on it soon. Otherwise, I'll have to file an extension on my income tax forms until I get it. Talk about annoying. :evil: Just applied for a 0% for 12 months Discover card so that I can finally start paying off my college loans. It's supposed to be the fastest way to do it - short of winning big on the lottery. :?
athena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:24 pm

DONE ALL MY LONG LIST MORE TO DO a. more financial filing - double check re ccil tax payments are instant b. check N.I contributions re allowance - website is confusing - double check re category 3 c. measure doors check best price - found one -need to measure d. apply for backtax forms ?R40
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:07 pm

a. more financial filing - double check re ccil tax payments are instant b. check N.I contributions re allowance - website is confusing - double check re category 3 c. measure doors check best price - found one -need to measure d. apply for backtax forms ?R40 ADDING EXTRA ITEM e. form for bank
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Izbit » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:17 am

Unity, congrats on getting through that great long list. Pat yourself on the back. How does it feel? I did the assessment appeal last night, and also downloaded all my transactions from the last month or so into the computer. I'm a little freaking out because: 1) the work on the kitchen actually starts next week, so we're writing some very large checks. We've planned for it, and I knew it was coming, but spending this money still freaks me out and makes me convinced that I'm going to be broke 2) I'm concerned that I think we're actually spending more than we're bringing in each month, even setting aside all the big home improvement spending. If that's true, it's a real problem. We've got some savings, so it's not an immediate crisis, but need to nip it off before it becomes one.
Izbit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:11 am

Hi izbit, I do feel relieved about working through my list but wish there wasn't always more to do! I can imagine how you're feeling about that work and the costing. Have you been double checking your figures?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:55 pm

Unity wrote: NEXT WEEK - TRY TO DO a. more financial filing - double check re ccil tax payments are instant b. check N.I contributions re allowance - website is confusing - double check re category 3 c. measure doors check best price - found one -need to measure d. apply for backtax forms ?R40 ADDING EXTRA ITEM e. form for bank - DONE
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby tapit » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:41 am

Will you all be doing this thread for April- the dreaded tax month, but a great spring month to some new work....????
tapit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges