March Financial Challenge 2008

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: March Financial Challenge 2008

Postby Izbit » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:06 am

A little calmer now... I talked to my husband about what we're spending on groceries, and he's going to try to stay on top of them better -- make lists and go to the less expensive stores that's a little further away rather than going to the very close one for just a few things... And we got our first gas bill since we installed our new heater and it's over $100 less than the previous month, which feels good. I figured out a very rough ballpark number for how much we'd need to save to travel around the world for a year. It's an alarmingly high number, but coming up with the number gives me somewhere to start the conversation with my husband. He's interested in reading the books I've been reading, to try to understand what I have in mind, so that's a good start. So, I officially finished the things on my list for this month. I think my one goal for next month is going to be to create updated wills. Gug.
Izbit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:58 am

tapit wrote:Will you all be doing this thread for April- the dreaded tax month, but a great spring month to some new work....????
Hi tapit, I can't see any of my lists going down in the next few months so might as well continue izbit - travelling the world - sounds exciting hope you keep us informed
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:17 am

Only thing I've done is found out the opening hours of the advice center and that only happened as I met one of the members in the street. Normally the shutters are closed and there is nothing written anywhere. They did say I could come at other times if necessary but to telephone. So I'm writing it here in case I forget - Mon, Tues, Thursd 10-3. I normally leave my house at 3 to go out so no wonder they are always closed when I pass.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:15 am

I'm ready to tackle some more financial goals... How is everyone doing? Today, I would like to update my financial spreadsheets and do some frugal grocery shopping (with coupons). That entails going to Wal-Mart, which I loathe and detest. Also, I want to cook some meals and use up some of the stuff in the cupboards.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:20 am

Hi Mango, glad you are back. I've been too distracted since my son has been home so will get back into the swing of things in a week's time onwards. I've set up the next thread for April.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:34 pm

Looking forward to reading your posts, Urs. I updated the financial spreadsheets, and I finished the frugal grocery shopping. I wish using coupons didn't seem to annoy the check-out people so much. :roll:

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:39 am

Hi mango, does a queue built up when you are paying? I went to the advice centre today and found there was a radio interview going on, luckily they didn't ask me to get involved. But I found out the info needed. Then I was given a large pack of energy saving lightbulbs for free and I went to put them into my shopping bag - couldn't find it! Turned the place upside down, then backtracked to my parents house as I was there before - so sign of it. Eventually found it back home in the kitchen. I remembered afterwards that as I was leaving the house I found the milk on the doorstep and put the bag down. But it was a bit panicky as I had library books inside that I thought I'd have to pay for. No compulsive shopping today.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:51 am

No financial goals today: big presentation to give at work tomorrow. :shock:

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Monthly Challenges