MARCH CLUTTER CHALLENGE 2008

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

MARCH CLUTTER CHALLENGE 2008

Postby Unity » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:56 am

Do you want to sort your life and your home? Join us and receive support along the way. ------------------------------------------------------------------ I decided to list all the work I want to do throughout the year. Even a couple of steps forward this month will be good. 1. Bedroom clutter which has been moved to another room needs action. 2. Understairs 3. bathroom door - pockets 4. kitchen drawer 5. bag of papers that have been in the filing cupboard for over a year 6. wardrobe floor 7. A's room - my things 8. A's room - filing needed 9. computer room shelves. Ask someone what can go. 10. kitchen stuff still in garage 11. P's papers/documents/A's - sort (in the old cupboard) 12. landing - find a better place for brushes etc? 13. handbags? 14. bag of keys needs sorting plus other things in there 15. new place (or get rid) of books currently on fireplace floor? 16. keep or let go of ornaments in living room?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: MARCH CLUTTER CHALLENGE 2008

Postby Tituba » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:38 am

I also have started decluttering. Peter Walsh ("Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Big?") is very clear about letting go of things you have not used in a year or more and not keeping them "just in case." I started going through boxes and took out this mirror that I haven't had on the wall in over nine years. I went to put it back in the box because I like the mirror. Then I remembered that if I really liked the mirror, it wouldn't be in a box for almost a decade. It is now in the give away box. The church is having a rummage sale at the beginning of April. I have three large boxes I'm filling with stuff to donate.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:03 am

I'm with you! I want to pare down my keepsakes (from two large plastic bins into one small plastic bin). I want to go through the house and find stuff to donate to the VVA or sell on Amazon or eBay. I want to catch up on filing. I want to clean out and re-organize the garage.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:15 pm

Whilst doing my financial form that I've moaned about on every thread LOL I was doing some de-cluttering along the way and now have a pile of letters/brochures to dispose of. Also sorted some silk flowers and remade the arrangements. Surprised myself how much I enjoyed it especially one of them. As I was taking the two bunches out of a plastic bag, lots of rose heads fell off and couldn't be put back. Then I had a brainwave. Ages ago I saw some trendy arrangements using just the flower heads and did the same. There's one old arrangement left which I hope to re-do at some stage. Whilst rooting around in the garage for the flowers I found some more odd keys that had a M cut into them (no idea what they are) to add to the 20 or so others that needs sorting. Anyone else have dozens of strange keys?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:17 pm

My clutter goals for March are 1. Finish decluttering the basement. (Did half of it January) 2. Collect a bunch of stuff that I've been stashing everywhere and shred it 3. Go through kitchen cupboards, pantry, closets and drawers to weed out unneccessary things Yesterday I took all size 8 clothes out of my closet and gave them to a girlfriend..they were all summer clothes and she just so happens to be leaving for Florida in a couple of days! It was a win-win situation.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:08 pm

My goal this month is to get several rooms cleaned out. Today I took a bunch of stuff to the recycling center and got my car washed. I always feel better with a clean car! And I cleaned some things out of the car, too. I also cleaned out my linen closet, got a few more things pulled out for a spring yard sale and started another bag of things to take to the recycle center next weekend. Onward and upward!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:18 pm

Cha, I know what you mean about a clean car. I got the "works" done to my car today, including cherry scented air-freshener! It gave me such a good feeling that I raced home and tackled some hard house-cleaning jobs!
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:31 am

Anyone else have dozens of strange keys?
Yes. I took two dowels, drilled holes and I hung the keys with fishing line and made a wind chime.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:50 pm

That's a good idea Tituba. Once I discover who the keys belong to I can do that. I know some of them belong to some relatives.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Izbit » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:53 am

On Wednesday, we've got a pickup from the Lupus Foundation -- I've got a bunch of stuff to give them. My goal for the month is to get the garage organized before we start our kitchen renovation (in 3 weeks), as they'll probably be using the garage as the staging zone for the tools and materials.
Izbit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:06 am

I started going through the first bin of keepsakes. It takes an amazing amount of mental energy to sort through the flotsam of almost 40 years. This may take longer than I planned.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:34 am

Avoiding the bin of keepsakes. :oops: Got part of the filing done, though (taxes and bills).

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:44 pm

mango, I think that sort of box is very difficult to deal with. I've got a box of old diaries etc that I move round the house. Well done on your progress so far. I haven't done any sorting today except emptying a large bin full of rubbish that was in the garage (I had no idea it was there for months until I spotted it today). I find that if I am concentrating on one kind of job in the house then I don't tend to do others e.g. today was gardening and phone calls.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:34 pm

Hi everyone, Mango - I can relate to your resistance. A lot of what I'm going through with my declutter project is stuff that belonged to my dad, who is dead, and my mother, who is in a nursing home with dementia. Just when I think I've worked through the issues surrounding the difficulty of this task, something comes up and stops me in my tracks. Give yourself the time you need to move forward. It is very difficult. Today I cleaned off part of the kitchen counter, gathered a few more items for a spring/summer yard sale, got stuff ready to return to LL Bean and am now finishing my taxes. I'm anxious to move forward so I'm going to spend time creating a weekly goal/task list for myself. I really want to keep on track and keep the momentum going.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:25 pm

Thanks for the support, Urs and Cha! It's much harder than I ever expected. I finally finished catching up on my filing! :mrgreen:

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges