MARCH CLUTTER CHALLENGE 2008

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: MARCH CLUTTER CHALLENGE 2008

Postby Unity » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:20 pm

mango wrote:Uh oh. There's a pile of dog toys in my financial corner.
Is is a big pile, mango? ------------------------------------------ After my good work lately, my house is looking a big worse for wear especially my bedroom. I'm blaming my son as he's cluttered downstairs with shoes and coats but I can't blame him for my room can it :D I'm getting some ideas for bedroom decor so might start experimenting soon. If I had the energy and motivation, I would try and do my house in a more elegant classic country style which I adore and can't stop buying very heavy books all about it (another today). But I'd need to rob a bank first :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:23 am

A quick check-in as I'm at work right now! :oops: I am getting rid of the dumpster sometime this week and signed up for curb side pick-up beginning April 7 - woo hoo!! I did manage to add a few more things to the dumpster. I also got rid of my old microwave that was on its last legs and found a great deal on a new one last night. I've also gathered a few more things for the upcoming yard sale. I have to say that the house is looking noticably cleaner, thank goodness! More later - have a great day everyone!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:26 am

Hi Cha, looks as though you really have been working hard. Confession time - I'm just moving my clutter between rooms, haven't got rid of anything for a while. I was getting a headache from the things that ended up back in my room over Easter, so I just put them back in the other room :shock: What I noticed (and mentioned before) is since my room is much clearer I'm very slowly getting some decor ideas especially in relation to color. On the 150 thread I mentioned how I'm very drawn to THIS COLOR (well similar) and yesterday I bought a top and instead of putting it in the wardrobe, I've hung it on the front of the cupboard door. I really love it and want more of it in the room. I've already got a vase with a flower arrangement and there are some flowers in that shade and I love it. It think it's a case of needing more of that color in all areas of life. I find it very uplifting.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:12 am

Okay, I'm back into decluttering. I have really found that I'm more centered and relaxed as I get rid of 'stuff' that is taking up space and mental energy. Also, money seems to be flowing better. :?: Today, I would like to take digital pictures of the items that I want to sell on eBay/Craigslist. I also want to get to the post office and mail the miniature sculpture that I sold last week. That's quite enough for one day, I think. How are you all doing?
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:20 am

Well.....I'm tooting own horn here. I've done so well decluttering in the past two weeks! There is a rummage sale at the church at the beginning of April, so I had a deadline. I cut my storage area down 2/3! Yes! I actually have floor space now! I think reading Peter Walsh's two books really made a difference. He takes a tough love approach to decluttering and says to be "ruthless" in purging. If you find yourself saying "maybe I'll use this one day..." - it goes. I got rid of most of my craft supplies (except the beads). Yarn, cross stitch, tons of books of patterns. Peter also wrote to take all your clothes (even the ones in boxes) and try on every single thing. What doesn't fit, goes. No more saving stuff until you lose 30lbs. It doesn't represent who you are now. Then you take the stuff that does fit and separate by what it is (blouse, dress etc.) If you have six white blouses, you give away three. You don't need six. The rooms looks so good now!
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:04 am

Glad to hear everyone is doing so well. I am reading Peter Walsh's "Does this clutter make my butt look fat?" and it's pretty good. I will have to return it to the library before I'm done so I'll have to wait to finish it when I can get it back. But I am instituting his idea of banning TV for a month. This is going to be quite an adjustment for me - the thing is on all the time! But I'm anxious to see the impact this has on my life. On Friday I cleaned my office and the break room at work - I just couldn't stand all the crap any longer. I threw away stuff in the refrigerator dated 2005 and 2006! Yuck! None of it was my stuff but I got rid of it anyway. I completed my sign up with curb side pick up company, which begins April 7, and finished my federal taxes and my mother's federal taxes (she lives in a nursing home, I'm her POA). I also took a small batch of stuff to the recycle center yesterday. The dumpster is gone from my yard - yeah!! Today I'm going to work in the kitchen to gather more things for the yard sale and get a job application done. Keep up the great work!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:05 am

But I am instituting his idea of banning TV for a month.
I keep it off one night a week and it has made a big difference. I don't think I could do a month all at once. Maybe two nights a week. You should read his first book "It's All Too Much" I found it very helpful
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:27 pm

Tituba wrote: I keep it off one night a week and it has made a big difference. I don't think I could do a month all at once. Maybe two nights a week. You should read his first book "It's All Too Much" I found it very helpful
Shortly after I typed my message, my Direct TV signal went out and it's been out all day. I have no idea why since the weather here is fine, but at least I cannot watch TV today. Interesting ... I went for a walk and cleaned up some garbage that was in my lawn. I pulled a few things out of some kitchen drawers and got a bag of trash ready to go. I also wrote my list of goals for the week. Now I'm off to work on my job letter. I don't miss the TV at all. I think the trick for me will be to avoid turning it on in the first place. :)
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:31 pm

Wow, everyone is making progress! Congratulations on getting rid of the dumpster, Cha! I turned off the television about 4 years ago, and though it was painful for the first few months, I wouldn't go back to it for a million dollars! I finished both of my tasks for today: I took pictures of all of the things that I want to sell (this time through, anyway). And I made it to the post office with the package. :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:50 am

No decluttering goals for today: I have a big presentation to give at work tomorrow. :roll: I'd rather be decluttering.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:18 am

Good luck mango.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous