MARCH CLUTTER CHALLENGE 2008

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: MARCH CLUTTER CHALLENGE 2008

Postby kashtanka » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:29 pm

I had some decluttering momentum going over the weekend, and I felt that I was going to have a remarkable week of tossing junk out, but it didn't happen because I've been busy with miscellaneous commitments ever since. (training, volunteering, working on creating a web site for an organization i belong to, etc.) Tomorrow is more volunteering, but maybe on Friday I can get the momentum going again. I was going to give some yarn away, but no one wants it because I'm a smoker. Looks like I'm stuck with my yarn balls until I can find another smoker who knits or crochets.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:14 am

Hi kashtanka, I might have an answer for your wool. A lot of the wool that I ended up with was bought in the charity shop and although it was brand new (but unwanted) it had been put into sealed plastic bags. So when taken out of the bags it had a smoky/chemically smell. For the baby items I used to wash the finished garments but when it came to blankets I was in a dilemma whether to get rid of the wool or wash it in advance. Then had a brainwave. I had lots of small sachets filled with lavender and put them inside my bags of wool. I can't remember how long it took but the smell went. I have kept the lavender in my wool permanently as I'm not using it at the moment. Hi mango, what I find difficult about filing is 'there will always be more' ! Hi Cha. Glad that you are still going on with it, even though very difficult for you. Me - I have my son's filing to do hopefully today or tomorrow.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:59 pm

Scheduled charity pick-up for next Friday.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:57 pm

Urs., thanks so much for the tip. I might be able to take the smoky smell out of the yarn, and bring it back. (maybe to a different Joann's store because the same lady is always at the customer service desk when I go) I won't feel like I'm cheating because the smell will be gone, but she may cause a stink. (pun intended)
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:44 am

Hi mango, looks like you've got a deadline to work to. Kashtanka - hope that the lavender works for you. I first used it with a bag of tapestry wools that used to be my mother's and they had that musty smell about them. I finally finished son's filing. Found some old papers that need throwing away. I'm adding it to my pile on the dining chair. I don't have a shredder any more so will have to spend some time ripping it all up into small pieces. My job for this weekend is to move around items from the two boys rooms. I have temporarily decided to keep most of it (craft related) but find a better way of storing. I bought a huge zipped laundry bag to keep some of it dust-free and plan to put it behind my son's bed and the rest to fit in the base of his wardrobe. Once that lot is done, I will then move a large box of mine out of the other bedroom into that one as that room will be occupied in a weeks time.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:18 pm

In major decluttering mode now that it is almost spring. I do virtually nothing about clutter all winter. The church is having a rummage sale the beginning of April. So, each Friday in March, I'm bringing down several boxes of rummage. I've already brought down six boxes and actually see the floor in my storage area! Finished Peter Walsh's book "Does My Clutter Make My Butt Look Big" and now l/2 done with his other book "It's All Too Much." I really like this author. Makes some really good points.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:46 pm

I finished with the keepsakes tonight. I was in one of those fairly unsentimental moods, and I tossed a lot of stuff. Ahhhhhhhhh. I also gathered some stuff to list on eBay and Amazon, and started box # 3 for the VVA. Still have to clean out the garage and gather up more stuff around the house to sell or give away.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:13 am

I read your posts Tituba and mango and then looked at my weekend plans with a shudder :D didn't know how I was going to start them but then left the computer and DID IT! Now I am posting and it's such a relief that it's done. I have found that in the past, I get the reply page up then go off and do something. I am still left with all my stuff in one son's room and I know that I will have to go through it again at some point. But it's a step in the right direction. Tituba, did you have a much bigger place before? Wondering about all your boxes. Mango - about the keepsakes, I think there's always twinges if we remember specific items but you could always pretend that you still have them packed away in a box that can't be accessed. That's what I've done about my bedroom curtains that I had as a child and gave them away, always to regret it. I think like that about people who have died - that they've moved across to the other side of the world.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:44 am

Tituba, did you have a much bigger place before? Wondering about all your boxes.
No, in fact the last place was smaller. Ten years ago, I had three storage bins I was renting and brought all the stuff to my apartment. I also kept all the empty boxes I used to move. You'd think there was a cardboard shortage....sigh. I rented a two bedroom apartment and use one room as "storage." It is this storage area that I have been regularly purging. It has only been in the past two years that I've made a considerable impact in that room. What I'd truly love is to be able to USE this room for other than strictly storage. I'm getting there.... You can only look at where you've been to know if you are better or worse. It is getting better and I'm becoming more disciplined about purging Peter Walsh's book "It's All Too Much" has some interesting things to say about people like me who don't unpack boxes but keep the stuff anyways.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:40 pm

Tituba, you have me convinced....I have to buy Peter Walsh's two books. If you live in a two bedroom apartment now, what did you live in before? A one bedroom apartment? Or are your rooms just larger now? It must be the pits using your extra bedroom for storage...having a room to do whatever you want in...now that's the life. News alert to everyone: My sister, who has a well-kept, always clutter-free home, confided to me recently that it takes a lot of work and good orginizational skills to keep it that way. She said that it is not easy! I was thinking "you mean this decluttering thing goes on forever?"
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:23 pm

Ah yes, before.....well, I used the bedroom for storage and had a sleeper couch in the living room. Yes, indeed. I was paying rent so my clutter could have a nice bedroom and me sleep in the living room. I figured it was better than paying the storage company to house it as I would never purge that way. It is MUCH better now. I at least have a bedroom I can use! I'd say the boxes in storage are down by 2/3 now from where they were. Baby steps...
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:33 pm

Tituba, clutter with a bedroom of it's own :D that's an interesting one! But of course, I think that a lot of us can understand how this can happen. Kashtanka - re your sister. I think the key is watching what you buy and being very ruthless with what you throw away. I should make a lot of progress this year as my finances have changed dramatically (no income) so cannot buy whatever I want like before, but that didn't stop me buying some books today. 8) Second hand, but still. There is a compulsive buyer in me and I think probably in a lot of people that hoard clutter and buy more. I'm in a bit of a dilemma with the craft stuff. Either I buy different furniture to be able to store it, or else get rid :cry: But financially I shouldn't be looking at cupboards as there's lots of really important things that need doing in the house. Plus, if I keep the craft things there will be the compulsion to get more. And lately I've gone right off it as I'd overdone it so much and my wrists hurt whenever I get it out. But letting go............ well you know how hard that is. How are you getting on Cha?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:57 pm

Tituba, I'm so glad to hear that your living arrangements have changed! Not being able to use your bedroom, and then dealing with clutter on top of that, must have been very stressful. That's great that you've reduced your stored items by two thirds. You're doing a wonderful job. Unity, one of your solutions to your craft dilemna made me smile because I recently did the same thing to my kitchen...bought some storage furniture. I wish I could offer some better/less costly resolutions, but the only thing that comes to mind is giving a few items here and there to friends who craft. Do you have any friends who would like some things?
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:04 pm

It does sound insane when you write it down, that's for sure. Just set of circumstances I dealt with on an ongoing basis. That is why feng shui was out of the question. The storage room is in the "financial/money" area and full. I'm actually starting to visualize a space in there to setup a table and make it a PC work area. I have alot of computers (last count, three desktops and six laptops). I'd like to setup a work/testing area so it will be convenient. Right now, I drag stuff out into the living room when I want to work on stuff.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:44 pm

That's a great idea, thanks Urs! And yes, I want those Peter Walsh books, too. Too cold to work on the garage tonight, so I'm going to go through the other bin of personal stuff. I think it's old stuffed animals and records. I also listed a ton of stuff on eBay last night, and I cleaned all of my jewelry today in an ultrasonic machine that they have at work. Selling some of that on eBay, too. I also want to round up some more stuff to sell and give to the VVA tonight.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges