MARCH CLUTTER CHALLENGE 2008

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: MARCH CLUTTER CHALLENGE 2008

Postby Unity » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:50 pm

I can relate to the dragging out comment Tituba :D Today I was seriously re-thinking my 'good idea' LOL of putting all my envelopes/spare files etc into a large laundry bag behind my son's bed. As I have to move a lot of heavy boxes first to get to it. And it's so heavy that I thought I was going to break something in the process! Kashtanka, there are people from my hobby club that would probably want something plus I could give it to the charity shops. But it's going to be so hard to part with it. About a year ago I got rid of most of the Xstitch mags and kits - and guess what - BOUGHT A WHOLE LOT MORE! Tituba, re feng shui. The reason that I cleared my bedroom recently is I realised that the corner that had the most stuff was the financial section and although I never really believed in it - first time I had seriously cluttered that corner and all of a sudden there's a financial situation I never had before. Mind you, I think it would have happened anyway because of the circumstances, but perhaps it might have worked itself out easier. Who knows. It's still up in the air. However, very unexpected good news this week - some money came from a source I never knew I had. So I must keep that bedroom clear at all costs :D We all seem to have a lot in common don't we?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:26 pm

Unity, now I see what you mean about your craft dilemna! Oh what tangled webs we knit! Ha!
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:16 am

Good pun Kashtanka :lol: I've had some ideas over the weekend about completely re-organising everything. I was thinking about feng shui a lot recently, that even though I don't believe it, there is a sort of set of rules you can follow without worrying about choices. The cupboard in my bedroom that now has all my files is in the creativity corner. So I could put my crafts in there. The files can go in a kitchen cupboard. Then I'll have to find a place for the kitchen things. Hopefully I can get all the envelopes/spare files etc and possibly my scrapbooking things into my other son's wardrobe. No-where for books but they could go into a box behind the sofa in the living room. Probably easier if I just ditched everything :?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:10 am

I finished everything on my list! That has never happened to me before. I will continue to post progress, though. Hope I can keep the momentum going. Yesterday, I did some major yardwork, and then I cleaned out and organized the garage! Now I have a much better idea of what is needed out there for storage, what can be sold or given away, and what we actually have. It is so frustrating not to be able to find a hammer when you need one, and then to find out that you have THREE hammers, all in different places in the garage. My goal is to be able to fit two cars in there. Not sure that it's possible, but will give it a go!
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:32 am

Mango, I was wondering about your garden recently - I remember those photos and posts about all that hard work. Well done for doing so much and it must be a relief when finished, even with 3 hammers LOL. 10 mins before leaving the house today to meet some relatives I mentioned on the fitness thread I remembered my cousin does crafts. So out come all my boxes. THIS WAS SO HARD. Parting is sweet sorrow and all that. So just found the bare minimum. Let go of - 4 mags, 1 chart book, 2 kits, 1 Xmas frame. However, I left everything scattered all over the upstairs. So decided to do my massive re-organising when I returned. Didn't work out as the files were too big for the kitchen cupboards. So put it all back. Other good news - got another unexpected amount of cash, more this time. Feng shui or coincidence :shock: Whatever, I'm not putting anything back into my room.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:43 am

Well done with the craft stuff, Urs. I had another major spring fever fit yesterday and spent about 4 hours outside. I took pictures of the grill and bicycle, and people are coming by to look at them tonight. Will be nice to get them out of the garage. I also salvaged a printer that I got for free from someone at work and forgot about. I will sell my other one on Craigslist. I went through a plastic bin of stuffed animals and records and got rid of everything. I washed big plastic bins to give to the VVA that have been in the garage forever. I also took all of the yard waste and trash to the curb and tossed some other stuff: a giant cardboard box, an old wood cupboard, edging and landscape fabric from the dog area, old fake flowers, decrepit work gloves, etc. I also found a cooler and a watering can that I forgot I had. :oops:

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:28 pm

mango, you'll get those cars into the garage soon. I've got to tidy up one of the bedrooms in time for Saturday and I'm really confused about stuff I've shoved in other rooms. I just can't part with it yet I really don't want it making other rooms look untidy :cry: And today I went and bought another book to add to my pile (now accumulating) in my clean bedroom. Why??????? :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:06 pm

More has been happening on the clearing clutter/financial blessings side. After yesterday afternoon something else happened in the evening. Not sure what to think as it's all so unexpected. This time instead of actual cash it was someone paying for something that I didn't know I needed! But had happened in my backyard in the recent storms and I hadn't noticed. I really have GOT TO de-clutter the whole house :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:36 am

Wow, Urs! Keep doing what you're doing! I didn't do any decluttering yesterday. :( Must make another list.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:51 pm

Mango, how's that list going? :D I ripped up some letters, and got the bag ready of mags and old clothes for recycling tomorrow. I just got word that next Tuesday will be the next 2nd hand pickup so this will be the chance to shift my craft stuff. Not sure if I can do it :cry:
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:03 pm

Wow - everyone has been doing great! Congrats on your good fortune, Unity! I had a bit of a set back this week. I found out that one of my cats has fleas, so i spent today treating both cats, washing all bed linens and covers and vacuuming and treating all carpeting and floors. Yuck!! I have gotten a few clutter things done lately, namely I found (and threw away) some old records I had and gathered more things for the spring yard sale. I also returned some jars to my neighbor and gathered several bags of stuff to take to the recycle center this weekend. I'm still cautious about throwing much away because, even though it appears that spring is here, I won't be completely comfortable until my dumpster is actually emptied on Friday, March 21! My dumpster could not be emptied in February because of all the snow that was blocking it. I like the idea of taking everything out of a room and putting back only what I want to keep and truly belongs in that room. I'm going to try that with one of my smaller rooms this week and see how it goes!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Cha! » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:26 pm

Update: I took a bag of clothes to an area Goodwill store for donation. The charity I had been working with kept telling me that they were coming to my area soon for a home pick-up but they never came. I called today to follow up and was told that they don't have any pick ups scheduled for my area for at least two months! :bash: So I called Goodwill and got their hours and dropped the stuff off there last night. I'm really glad I went there - they have a beautiful, bright, cheerful store and very polite staff. It was a very nice experience! I also returned several items to the library and used up some old gas cards that I had been given. Now I'm off to bed - I'm exhausted! :) Good night!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:19 am

Hi everyone, (cup of tea needed, long post :D ) Cha - again you've been busy. Re your charity/dumpster -I know that it's frustrating to have things to give or throw away but for some reasons out of your control it seems impossible. I also get those three step forwards two steps back days like you had with your cats. At least you are keeping momentum and moving forwards. If you decide to moving things into another room - there's plus and minus for this. Now I've got a room full of things and I want to keep some of it but the logistics are difficult as my bedroom has no spare room - unless I literally turn it upside down and I don't feel up to that yet. (The drawers are full of strange stuff) The added difficulty is that I'm gong to need that other room fairly straight for Easter weekend so I might end up putting all the stuff behind the sofa downstairs instead of putting back into my room temporarily. I don't think I can face looking at all that clutter now my room is clear. http://www.fastfengshui.com/articles.htm Articles on clutter that I 've have started reading. Room map http://www.fengshuipalace.com/fs101/bagua.shtml I'm trying to get my bedroom to try and fit with the FS bagua map as a sort of experiment but also a way to alter the room without me having to agonise over too many choices. I'm not painting it or changing the furniture but just moving things around a bit. So I'm having all the sharp corners they don't like, but I'm not changing that as I love that furniture. However, just writing that has given me a thought - it used to be my parents and wondering if that is such a good idea as I used to spend a lot of time in conflict with them. In fact this line of thought is now bringing up ideas about other things relating to people's things in my home................. My goodness this is an interesting subject. I reckon I could write a book about my clutter/other people's influences etc :D I really must do some clearning by Friday night of the other room. My laundry piles on the bed and a massive bag of plastic bags need te be shifted.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby polymath » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:28 am

While I don't usually have this problem with material objects, I do sometimes have this problem with my computer. Eventually it gets filled up, bogged down, and I can't decide what to delete. The best solution? As bad as it sounds, a good ole computer crash does the trick. Sure, you'll freak out for the first week of having a brand new computer, but then it wears off and you go on with your life. I've lost a lot of good videos and songs that way, but it's well worth it to start with a clean slate every few years. Of course I don't think arson is a good idea for a house (ouch!), but if there was ever a way to get rid of my piles, that would be it. I need it to disappear from my mind and not think about it. It's when I go through a pile and see all the neat things I've neglected that I start hoarding things again. But, in general, I'm pretty good about not doing that.
Polymath ". . .a wealth of information creates a poverty of attention and a need to allocate that attention efficiently among the overabundance of information sources that might consume it." - Herbert Simon
polymath
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mango » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:57 am

Yesterday's decluttering progress: -- got rid of the bicycle -- packaged up auction items and mailed them

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges