MARCH CLUTTER CHALLENGE 2008

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: MARCH CLUTTER CHALLENGE 2008

Postby Unity » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:19 am

Hi everyone, Moved all my stuff from one room to another as one of my sons is coming home tomorrow. Now the other room is crammed to the gills instead :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:18 pm

Felt under too much pressure as charity shop van coming tomorrow so only let go of 3 paperbacks (2 of those I bought recently and read last few days), 1 large craft book and 1 collectable frame. Moved craft stuff behind the sofa and chairs in the living room plus left some covered bags in that bedroom. I just didn't want to part with it yet.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:46 pm

Ugh, just realised that the room that's needed by Saturday has a load of my stuff all over the bed. So need to do that tomorrow. And I bought more craft bits today. Not as bad as it could have been -2 squares of felt for my Christmas ornaments and 2 dolls house items. But I spent ages in a 2nd hand bookshop and very nearly bought an interior design book that not that long ago I had given to charity. Now that would have been something to complain about :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:11 pm

Hi Unity: You're doing really great. I can understand being anxious about the room you need on Saturday but look at all the progress you've made! And way to go with avoiding buying the same stuff you got rid of! :) I cleaned out my smallest bedroom and am working on the hall. My dumpster is supposed to be emptied on Friday ... but, of course, we are scheduled to get several inches of snow! I honestly don't know what I'll do if it does not get emptied. After two months of not being emptied, it is full. Keep your fingers crossed for me! I definitely want to learn about your feng shui luck, Unity. After spending all day cleaning out the small bedroom, I got a BILL for nearly $500 that I was not expecting ... not quite the result I was hoping for! But, I will keep plugging away. This week, in addition to the hall, I plan to get caught up with some paperwork and other smaller things. I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed lately and I want to try to alleviate some of the pressure. Keep up the great work! Cha!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:40 am

Hi Cha, I can see why you might be worried about that dumpster. I would be. You seem to be very motivated to continue with your sorting. Sorry about that bill. That's not nice. I still haven't paid what I owe (which started all my de-cluttering), haven't been sent the details where to send the money. Feng Shui and clutter- I'm only concentrating on one room - my bedroom as I tend to spend most of my time in there. I've had some more money but more in 'kind' rather than in cash. Like my dentist treatment has been free today so will the next one. And a lot of 2 for 1 with quality food even with jeans - although I had to take them back as didn't fit. Plus yesterday my son got 2 Uni text books for 20 pounds together that normally would have cost about 150 pounds secondhand. But regarding money, I have always thought very positively about it so that helps. Once Easter is over (and I've got the other bedroom back to use), I plan to move my dolls houses that are currently in my room, either into a different position or even out and see if that makes any difference.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby AVATC » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:08 am

Unity wrote:More has been happening on the clearing clutter/financial blessings side. After yesterday afternoon something else happened in the evening. Not sure what to think as it's all so unexpected.
You are experiencing the vacuum law of prosperity, which states that you have to get rid of what you DON'T want in order to make room for what you DO want. I read about it in Catherine Ponder's book The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity. True story: I had a scooter which I LOVED but decided to sell it after being scared 3 times in 1 day by manic drivers. We tried for 2 months to sell it, listing it in the paper, on CraigsList and in AutoTrader. We didn't have any serious nibbles. On the day I read about the vacuum law of prosperity, a lightbulb went on in my mind. The scooter was in the garage sitting under our 2 bicycles that were hanging from the ceiling. We hadn't used the bikes in years and had talked for some time about donating them. After reading that section in Ponder's book, I called the local children's shelter and made arrangements to donate the bikes that weekend. Ten days, later we sold the scooter. Even better, we got the full asking price in CASH. I became an instant believer in the vacuum law of prosperity!! PS. Several people have written in their posts about their desire/efforts to re-organize the garage. We totally re-did our garage within about 6 weeks last year. My husband's blog entries about the process will show and tell you what we did, and I'm posting them here as they may give you ideas, especially with the POD rental: http://suburbanhaikuist.blogspot.com/20 ... begun.html http://suburbanhaikuist.blogspot.com/20 ... nting.html http://suburbanhaikuist.blogspot.com/20 ... -done.html (observe the horribly ugly BEFORE pic and the beautiful AFTER pic! :)) Best wishes for continued prosperity following de-cluttering! links updated 1/31/10
Last edited by AVATC on Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karen Commins
http://www.KarenCommins.com
My audiobooks on Audible.com: http://goo.gl/3A5Mu6
AVATC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:19 am

Karen, that's certainly a dramatic before and after photo. Very stylish garage. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll keep it in mind.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:39 am

Disappointing update. My dumpster was not emptied today because the ground is too soft and the truck used to empty it started to sink in my yard. So now I have a full dumpster and deep truck ruts in my yard, plus we're in the midst of another snow storm today. I'm taking time off to try to relax, but I do know that my main goal is to get out of this house and out of this area with the horrible weather! This is ridiculous!! Hoping for a brighter day tomorrow ...
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:24 am

Cha, that's bad news. I'm glad that the weather where I live is so different to yours. How often does the dumpster get emptied normally?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:51 pm

Hi Unity, Normally the dumpster is emptied once a month, but mine has not been emptied since mid-January because of weather issues. I'm just frustrated with a lot of things and this is not helping. I really want to be able to move forward, get out of this house and move to a place I want to live and get on with my life. I'm hoping someone can come up with a solution soon ... this has been very frustrating! Thanks for listening my grumbles. :) Cha!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Cha! » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:31 pm

Hi everyone, I decided to call the dumpster place and tell them to take it away for good. I'm looking into going with curb side pick up. That should take care of some of the problems. I took a large load of paper and recyclables to the recycle center today. I'm glad I did that because it really cleared a lot out of my kitchen. I'm working on another pile for the recycle center and the yard sale.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:47 pm

Cha, you've been very decisive about that dumpster - good for you. More sorting as well. I must admit that I'm slipping. Moved a lot of laundry from the bed in the other room and just plonked it on a chair in my room last night. Things are starting to pile up again in the bedroom :( and I've got the heavy cardboard box with plastic bags of old keys in there again (got rid of it months ago) Still I'm not cluttering that financial corner, that's what counts :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:15 pm

Hi Unity, I hear you about slipping. I haven't felt like doing much but I did manage to clean a little in the small hall off my bedroom. I read my contract for the dumpster service and might be stuck with it for awhile, but I'm going to call tomorrow to see what they say. I hope I can get out of it. I would like to learn more about feng shui. I don't know which corner is my financial corner ... or any other corner, for that matter! But I know there is plenty of literature around that discusses feng shui and its effects. I'm not sure I entirely believe it but I do know that clearing out and make room for new experiences, people, etc., makes sense and probably does improve the energy in a space. My main goals for the week are to finish my taxes, finish some other paperwork and keep going through things for the recycle center, charity donations and yard sale. I simply cannot wait for spring to arrive! :)
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:52 am

Hi Cha, I'm not interested in FS as such, just the clutter clearing part as it is overwhelming when there's stuff all over the place and on the floors is bound to have an effect. I know that my whole house has things in it that reflect the person that I was with small children, and not enough space to put anything, and having to hide away all my nice ornaments high up in the kitchen cupboards. And I'm sure if someone came and looked round they would never guess what I'm really like. The FS map -financial section of a room - stand at the door and imagine the space in front of you divided into a grid of 3 x 3 squares. Finances is the bottom left hand square.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:43 am

Uh oh. There's a pile of dog toys in my financial corner.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges