APRIL FINANCIAL CHALLENGE 2008

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

APRIL FINANCIAL CHALLENGE 2008

Postby Unity » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:10 am

Welcome to the April financial thread. Just list your goals and receive support along the way.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: APRIL FINANCIAL CHALLENGE 2008

Postby Unity » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:18 am

The same ones from March - doors r40 reclaiming form keep eye out on TC to repay double check NI and CA even though advice centre said it was ok
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:47 pm

Today, I would like to peruse Craigslist for part-time earning opportunities, deposit a check, and cancel my spinal therapy appointment ($200 co-pay). :evil:
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:55 pm

I didn't think I accomplished anything today, but it turns out that I did what I said I would: canceled the appointment, deposited the check, and looked through Craigslist for earning opportunities. :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:39 pm

So mango you are making some progress. Personal finance advice - Do you ever find money on the sidewalk etc when you're out and about? http://www.pfadvice.com/2007/01/24/10-b ... n-walking/
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby tapit » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:43 am

OK. Two days late- but here I am. Goals: 1) Transfer all my credit card debt to one account. 2) Pay downthe debt by $250 from where it is right now. 3) Get my savings up to $300. 4) Establish one "spend no money at all" day a week, beginning next week. I can do this, I can do this...
tapit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:43 am

I really have to stop looking at Craigslist, and work on my own money-making ideas. :roll: I spend an inordinate amount of time each day looking at the job ads on Craigslist, and it's mostly crap. I'm officially stopping. Today. Today, I would like to balance the bank account, update the financial spreadsheets, deposit another check, and figure out how to get the $200 back for a course that I've decided not to attend. I guess that's a step: I decided yesterday to let my real estate broker's license lapse. I've never used it (in the year that I've been licensed), and it costs a lot of money to keep it current. While sitting through a CE class yesterday, I decided that, in all honesty, I will never want to help other people buy or sell houses. So, I've acquired the knowledge that I wanted and will use it to get better deals when I buy/sell myself. What a relief!

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:25 pm

Well, so far I've tried to get my money back twice, to no avail. I did, however, get the person to agree to let me give my spot in the workshop to someone else. So, I listed the ticket for sale on Craigslist. Plus, we got unexpected (but much hoped for) news. My husband's daughter got financial aid for private school! For us, that means saving $500 per month, 11 months of the year!!! :D :D :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:10 am

mango, brilliant news - did you clear out that financial corner then?? Re your brokers licence - I bet you feel relieved now that you've made up your mind not to practice but you've got some valuable information that could become useful in other areas of life Hi tapit - no spending - It's amazing just how much temptation is around. How did you get on with it?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:25 pm

Hi Urs, no, it's still full of dog toys. If I had to pick the major thing that I think is having this positive financial effect, I would have to say that it's giving away a lot of stuff to charity. I don't know if it's true, but I'm going to keep doing it!

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:35 am

I really have to get the bank account balanced and update the financial spreadsheets today! I need to pay a few bills, too. Good news: I applied for a balance transfer for the $1000 remaining on our highest interest credit card (24.99% :shock: ), and got it transferred to 0% interest until March 2009! :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:40 am

I couldn't imagine doing all that on a Sunday mango you must be very motivated.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:53 pm

I just initiated a transfer of my rollover IRA (a previous company) from a financial institution to a Vanguard (regular) IRA. The F.I. put it heavily in tech mutual funds and stocks in 2001 and it quickly lost half it's value because of the tech crash*. It has built up a little to about 2/3 of what it was (in 7 years!), but I decided it was better in an index-type fund than in tech. * Interestingly, I had it in almost all cash at the previous company (don't ask me why, I have no idea), and ironically, if I would have left it alone, it would still be worth more now than it was when I rolled it over.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:02 pm

Well, I entered receipts and finally balanced the bank account. Then I reconciled the financial spreadsheets. Then I paid some bills. For some reason, I find these activities to be a great source of relief/relaxation after they're finished.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:26 pm

This weekend I finally finished my taxes, set up another ROTH IRA for 2007 tax year, cashed in my credit card points for cash, deposited two checks into my mutual fund account, returned some items to the store (which I didn't need in the first place) and signed up for 3 financial seminars offered in May by my credit union. One session is about "Financial Feng Shui" - I can't wait to see what that's like! ;) I also picked up Jean Chatzky's book on cd "Make Money, Not Excuses - Every Woman's Guide To Getting Really, Really Rich". I'm going to start listening to it on my way to and from work. I'll let you know how it is.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges