APRIL CLUTTER/TO DO LIST CHALLENGE 2008

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

APRIL CLUTTER/TO DO LIST CHALLENGE 2008

Postby Unity » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:13 am

Welcome to the April Clutter thread. Do you want to sort your house and your life? Join us in 'letting go' and making space for new opportunities.
Last edited by Unity on Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: APRIL CLUTTER CHALLENGE 2008

Postby Unity » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:21 am

To-do's left over from previous months that it would be nice to finish (one day!!) - Kitchen stuff in garage from December - still not moved bag of keys box for loft kitchen drawers piles gathering in bedroom of papers bathroom door - hanging pockets don't mention the dressing table drawers :shock:
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby polymath » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:35 am

Clean the basement up.. boxes are still there from my youth, and subsequently infested it with spiders. Bombed the basement, sprayed, still need to spray again and then put on rubber gloves and go at those boxes.
Polymath ". . .a wealth of information creates a poverty of attention and a need to allocate that attention efficiently among the overabundance of information sources that might consume it." - Herbert Simon
polymath
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mango » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:40 pm

Today, I would like to list items for sale on eBay and Craigslist, and mail the watch that I sold on eBay this week.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:57 pm

Didn't do either of my decluttering tasks today (AND I'm too lazy to take out the trash, recyclables, and yard waste). Hope tomorrow is a more energetic day.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:27 pm

Okay, I guilted myself into taking out the trash and recyclables (I stopped short at collecting dead branches from the bank behind the house in the dark). And I downloaded all of the digital photos that I took of the eBay and Craigslist stuff so that I could work on that tomorrow.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:47 am

Way to keep up the momentum everyone! Mango, I've had days like that too, where I've had to guilt myself into getting things done. Way to go! I was quite busy yesterday. A local department store was having a sale whereby everyone who brought in items for Goodwill would be given a 20% off coupon which could be used on anything including perfume (which never goes on sale). So I gathered up a few more items of clothing, took them to the store and treated myself to a bottle of Estee Lauder perfume, which I love! I also returned a set a sheets that I bought but never used (and don't really need!) and dropped some clothes off for my mother. I also got rid of some ratty sweat pants that I still had (only God knows why) and gathered more trash. Today I plan to clean in my larger bedroom, get things priced and ready for the yard sale, find more things to sell/donate/pitch, finish my state taxes and just keep plugging along. I think spring is finally here. Most of the snow is gone and I'm feeling a little more ambitious. I hope to get a lot done this month! Here's to a productive month for all of us! :)
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby kashtanka » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:05 pm

Today I did a major thing! I called my sister in VA and asked her if her daughter would like my Nancy Drew book collection! Oh my gosh! I love Nancy Drew books, and I have several of the original series. It was a hard decision to make, but I'm letting the books and other things go in a final round of decluttering. I decided on another major thing to give away, but my intended recipient is on vacation now and I can't reach her. More valuable things to be given away in the near future. The good stuff! The stuff I couldn't bear to give away when I started decluttering.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:47 am

Well done, kashtanka! Today, I want to mail the watch that I sold on eBay, mail the book that I sold on Amazon, and list some stuff on eBay and Craigslist. I also want to get started clearing the upstairs room so that I can use it as a workout room. Must decide if I will use the television and DVD player that are up there, or use my laptop and sell the television and DVD player. I think we all know what I'm going to do. :P

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:21 pm

Well, I did a few things. I mailed the watch and the book, plus a cup that I've been meaning to send to my father for almost a year! :oops: I also moved everything that is upstairs out of the way of my new 'exercise area'. I didn't think I had much stuff left in the house that I could sell, but there's a whole room full of stuff up there! I need to get back into selling mode. I listed a ticket for a workshop on Craigslist. I really need to list some more stuff before I go to bed. I've been procrastinating about it, and I can't figure out why. It's all stuff that I really want to get rid of, and I have it piled right beside the bed, so that it's in the way and I can't forget about it. Just need to power through the procrastination, I guess. Once I get the downstairs stuff listed, I will start on the stuff upstairs. (Do I win a prize for 'most times the word stuff has been used in a single post'?)

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:36 pm

Okay, just listed another book on Amazon. :) Now I can go to bed guilt-free.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:28 am

Hi everyone, lots of progress and the month has only just begun. Mango, how's your 'stuff' :D by your bedside?? Still there? Procrastination - I think that for me it's the hassle to let go of it. Once you accumulate clutter you can't literally let go of it NOW unless you throw the lot of it into the trash. Suddenly it becomes a part-time job that you don't have the time/inclination for. No wonder we start avoiding it! And like Kashtanka, if you want to give something away, it would be much easier if that could be done when you make up your mind right then and there. Kathy, have you changed your mind yet? I have this massive box in my bedroom which is of beautiful children's books which were a very expensive set (it was designed for use in schools). I have thought many times of leaving it out with the second hand van but when my ex hubbie heard he said I ought to give it to a specific cause such as a school etc. Easy for him to say when he's the one with the empty bedroom! Cha - that's a good idea at your department store. Glad that you managed to treat yourself too.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:10 am

Books - you could sell them on Amazon. The good thing about Amazon is that if they don't sell, you don't owe a fee. Or donate them: BOOKS The International Book Project will ship your old tomes abroad for use in schools, orphanages, and libraries. GO TO: internationalbookproject.org Here's some other donation sites for various items WINTER COATS Donate them to One Warm Coat, which sponsors coat drives around the country. GO TO: onewarmcoat.org MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS From piccolos to guitars, Operation Happy Note sends secondhand instruments to soldiers deployed overseas. GO TO: operationhappynote.com COMPUTER EQUIPMENT Computers with at least a Pentium III Processor can be donated to The On It Foundation, which provides computers and Internet access to low-income families. GO TO: theonitfoundation.org SNEAKERS Old sneakers can go to the Nike-sponsored Reuse-a-Shoe (the used kicks don't have to be Nikes). The rubber is used to create play surfaces for kids around the world. GO TO: letmeplay.com FURNITURE The National Furniture Bank Association will give your couch to anyone who needs a hand up, including domestic violence victims. GO TO: help1up.org CELL PHONES At Collective Good, you choose the charity, such as The Center for Domestic Violence Prevention, that your donation of a used phone will support. GO TO: collectivegood.com RANDOM KNICKKNACKS Got something you don't know what to do with, but you're sure someone would want? Excess Access matches your items with local nonprofit wish lists. GO TO: excessaccess.com
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:23 pm

Urs, I totally agree about it being a hassle. You've figured it out for me! I got my hair cut. That's decluttering, right? While I was out, my husband tried to use our ancient steam cleaner and finally (finally) decided that it's time to let it go. Yippee! Putting it out front with a 'free' sign on it. We agreed to buy a new steam cleaner, and we also agreed to finally (finally) replace our vacuum cleaner! I'm so excited!!! :D Going to pick up the vacuum cleaner today, and order the steam cleaner online. Urs, the pile is still there, but I'm determined to work on it this evening. My husband and I also decided to have a yard sale, so that will save me some time and energy listing some of the stuff locally. :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:23 pm

Thanks for the great links, Tituba!

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges