APRIL CLUTTER/TO DO LIST CHALLENGE 2008

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: APRIL CLUTTER/TO DO LIST CHALLENGE 2008

Postby Unity » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:03 pm

Hi mango, You obviously followed the 'feel the fear and do it' idea today and managed everything even though very scary. I empathise with the panic, I hope I don't get any more sleepless nights about my trip and today nearly cried after an encounter with a difficult relative. Afterwards I was sitting facing them wishing I could escape and thinking that I'm not cut out for being with people. :D And guess what set the conflict off - I mentioned my de-cluttering!
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:29 pm

I'm sorry you, Mango & Unity, are having such a hard time right now. I'm having a tough time myself. I have been staying up really, really late and then just dragging myself through my days with no energy to get things done. I went through a patch like this once before and I do not want to go down that road again, so I'm fighting like heck to get things righted around. I hope you both can do the same. I know a big part of my problem is a lack of balance in my life. I am a bit stalled with my decluttering. I still feel quite overwhelmed and find myself working on one thing and then moving to another thing before completing the first thing. I can see some progress around the house but I'm not at all happy with the slow pace. This weekend I did my normal cleaning but also cleaned out one of my lower kitchen cabinets. I pulled out all my plastic bags and plan to take most of them to my neighbor's house for our yard sale. I also spoke to my neighbor about getting on with the sale. I'm getting a little tired of the pile of stuff I have ready to go. I also pulled out a few books and cds and marked them for sale, along with some hangers and a few other items. I finally got my sister to pick up the bag of things I packed for her. i also took 3 bags to the recycle center and started tackling the endless paper. My goals for this week are to finish going through the paper, finish the yard work I started last week and make arrangements for someone to mow my lawn for me this summer. I really hate that task! It takes forever! As much as I hate to pay for someone else to do it when I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself, I am looking forward to getting that burden off my shoulders. It just takes up so much of my time, I can never make any headway with anything else. Looking forward to a new month! :)
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:43 pm

Cha, I think you're doing great. Have you ever considered hiring someone (at minimum wage) to help you? Just a thought. Especially if you knew anyone who needed a little extra cash. It would probably be worth it for your peace of mind. I went nuts with the decluttering and ended up spending 4 hours on it. I've been moving boxes and furniture. I moved everything out of the exercise room and then vacuumed. I cleaned off and took pictures of the large items of furniture (3 bookshelves, 2 wooden bins, and a half-table) that I want to list on Craigslist. Then I moved them into the exercise room. The rest of the stuff that I want to sell on Craigslist (television and entertainment unit) got moved into the 'study' (my new name for the room the nephew just left). I'm setting up a small office in that room. Taking over my husband's desk (he doesn't want it, and I'm selling mine). I moved the desk chair, lamp, plastic floor thingy (so the wheels of the desk chair can roll, rather than get stuck in the carpet), printer, telephone/answering machine, paper shredder, and small trash bin into that room. Then I gathered everything together that I want to sell at the yard sale on May 17th and put it on the other side of the study. Then I gathered all of my husband's bins and boxes (that need to be sorted through prior to the yard sale) and put them in the closet. There must be 3 plastic bins and about 10 banker's boxes to go through. I'm kind of excited about it, but I bet he won't be! Then I moved the boxes of stuff that I'm collecting for charity into the study, and tossed all of the leftover cardboard boxes into the garage. Still a lot of stuff in the bedroom closet that would be better off in the study closet (once I get rid of most of my husband's extraneous stuff). And I'm collecting a few boxes of small things to list on eBay. So, now my living room and kitchen have only what belongs there (except for a large rug that I haven't decided about). And I'm beat!
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:35 am

Hello Cha and mango, I'm feeling a mixture of fear and excitement reading your posts. So much work. mango your furniture moving/boxes seems like you've got an extra house in there somewhere and Cha, don't over do it, if you are feeling that tired. Good that you're getting someone to help you in the garden. This week I must - fill in diaries/forms and clear dining table prepare bed laundry piles
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:24 am

When I posted before I was expecting a workman, they were an hour later so I got on with that room and cleared quite a bit.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:29 am

That's great, Urs. I am stuck in a panic attack until after I force myself to leave the house and go to my appointment, so not much decluttering is going on. Then I get panicky because my nephew gets home from work and wants to hang out with me. Then I get panicky because we sit down and have dinner together and it stresses me out to have to make conversation. This is so abnormal. Hope to get back to the decluttering tonight.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:41 pm

Sorry for that little meltdown. :oops: Just finished 3 more hours of decluttering, starting to get tired of the whole business. :roll: Went through my husband's stuff and consolidated it from 3 huge plastic bins and 8 banker's boxes to 8 banker's boxes. Also came up with a large bag of trash, and more things for the yard sale and charity. Setting up a charity pick-up for the day after the neighborhood yard sale. It was a strange feeling going through his things. Almost like he had died and I had to sort through his belongings. :( Didn't like it. No more sorting of his stuff until he can go through it himself. Cha, I wonder if that is similar to the feeling that you've been having as you sort through your parents' house. If so, no wonder it's so difficult, and you deserve a medal for doing it. Just my $0.02.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:31 am

mango, you're in mega sorting mood lately. I think it's catching. As for the panics I'm guessing it's about your job and that you're actually out of the country :D and the dreaded return. I keep waking at 4am each morning and been thinking about my own situation re panic/obsessing over the trip and the way I am with people and life in general and the reason the is similar to yours. There is something I do not want to do. as I don't feel it is on my life path but because i don't have all the answers (especially an alternative solution) it's not a conversation you can have with the people around me who are not into self-reflection and that sort of approach. I'm pretty certain the reason I acquire complications/clutter is so I can always look busy and have good excuses when I get the dreaded questions. But it can be exhausting and this week I've got some unexpected home repairs to do and it couldn't come at a worst time as there's so much that needs doing before Saturday and I'm going to be out of the area all day Friday too. Plus I don't have what I need and it will involve many long walks to the shops right out of the way. I do have to ask my self - is this tiring way of life worth it?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:17 pm

Sorry, Urs. I hope you get some rest. It's true that we both seem to be struggling with things we do not want to do: as you said, they're not on our life paths. But without alternative solutions that people can put their faith in, it seems that they are unable to offer support. Well, I'll be your support person if you need another one in your group. :D Spontaneous decluttering and organizing this morning for several hours. Brought all of my office supplies from the bedroom closet into the new study and set everything up. Sorted through and got rid of the stack of boxes and coats that were on the floor in the bedroom. Moved some things around in the bedroom closet, tossed some stuff, and put a few more things in the sell and charity piles. Gathered up all of the trash and recyclables plus broke down all of the cardboard boxes that I got rid of yesterday and took everything to the curb. Went through four more Everyday Food magazines (only 16 more to go). Also busy planning and cooking meals to use up the food we already have in the freezer, refrigerator, and cupboards. Tomorrow it's Mediterranean cod and mashed potatoes. Must also remember to defrost the freezer, since it's empty and I have no plans to use it at present.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:58 am

Thanks mango. I think i know what must be on my 150 steps for May. No more complications! As previously mentioned (a hundred times at least :D ) I've been thrown by the unexpected this week on top of normal chores. To add to the mix, since last night I've got a STOLEN BIKE to sort out and in this morning's post another FINANCIAL FORM - I'm laughing instead of getting into a state. Unwanted activities - I've been going to a mixed hobby group (you can do anything) for nearly 15 years and it has caused me a lot of stress for a variety of reasons - attracting energy drainers or over- enthusiasts who keep trying to persuade me to do their hobby even though I've tried and don't get on with it. I have been down-scaling my crafts dramatically and don't want anything new, in fact the only thing I really enjoy is making Xmas decorations. And i want to finish some unfinished projects (huge energy drainer). Often, even though I often have a laugh there, I dread the OTT persuasive types who don't take no for an answer so I end up going in late and just stopping for a coffee and leaving. So - either I stop going altogether - (only social gathering in the week for me) Or I get rid of most of my craft things, just keep the projects I want to do and wear ear muffs :D I'm illustrating this as a reason why de-cluttering isn't always that straightforward. Mango, after all this sorting you'll lose weight and hopefully more focused on what you want.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:59 am

Yes, I see the problem with the craft group. Is there a different social outing that you can plan around another one of your interests, and then do the crafts on your own? Sorry to hear about your stolen bike (!) and the extra form. It's good that you can laugh about it, though! There are a few things that I really need to get done before Monday (the dreaded back-to-work day): Move Christmas tree to the crawl space upstairs. Steam clean the other two rugs and the rug that I want to sell. Shred papers that I've collected in the study. Get caught up on filing. Re-do the checklists for daily, weekly, and monthly tasks. List more items on eBay and Craigslist. Get through the rest of the Everyday Food magazines.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:04 am

Hi mango, Today I have been doing outside DIY and just now had to leave this reply and rush outside as it started to rain, I had varnished a door. Luckily I started on the inside. Just remembered that I have forgotten to find my insurance forms. I don't like doing things like that on the same day as outside jobs. You seem organised for today. Hope you are successful going through your list.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:02 am

Wow, I'm impressed by DIY projects. How is it going? I went through 4 more Everyday Food magazines, and I've decided to move all of my filing stuff from the bedroom closet to the study. I can't wait to get rid of the stuff that is waiting to be sold and given away.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:04 am

mango wrote: It was a strange feeling going through his things. Almost like he had died and I had to sort through his belongings. :( Didn't like it. No more sorting of his stuff until he can go through it himself. Cha, I wonder if that is similar to the feeling that you've been having as you sort through your parents' house. If so, no wonder it's so difficult, and you deserve a medal for doing it. Just my $0.02.
Thanks for your support, Mango. It is very much how I feel as I clean out my parents' house. My dad has been dead for several years, my mother is dying in a nursing home. I feel like I'm pushing my mother closer to death as I get rid of her stuff and I feel guilty and disrespectful for getting rid of their stuff, almost as if their life and their things have no value or relevance. I urge all the clutter bugs that I know to deal with their stuff now and not to put their children in the positive I've been put in because it's very tough and it sucks! I had a bit of a break-through yesterday. We have a great aunt (now deceased) who was a crabby, possessive woman. She never had children (neither do I) and she hung on to all the family heirlooms that she could because they were valuable. I now have several of those heirlooms that I must deal with. I have to admit that I had been hanging onto them, in part because of the value and in part because I felt I deserved them because I am doing all this work. I woke up yesterday and realized that I am being very much like this aunt (who no one really liked!). I have decided to go through the stuff I have stored away and share it with other family members. I invited my sister to come over and choose what she would like. I have a few cousins in the area that I plan to share the items with, along with one of my mother's sisters, and I also am planning to send something to my mother's great niece who my mother was always very fond of as a way to honor my family members. I must admit that I feel lighter, not only for releasing a large part of my burden, but also for honoring my parents and other family members who originally owned these items. I also got rid of a few containers of body lotion (they were old and I still have so much lotion!) and I've been marking more cds for sale. We are having a decent day today (even though we had SNOW FLURRIES Monday and Tuesday - will this never end?!??! :bash: ) so I plan to work in the yard this afternoon. The fresh air will do me a world of good. I'm sorry to read about your stolen bike, Unity, but applaud you for not getting upset. Looking forward to a new month!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:12 am

Don't know if you remember me always putting doors on my to-do lists from before Xmas? Finally a new door arrived Monday- should be jubilation only I never expected it to be unpainted and bare wood. 2nd drawback - the doorstep has virtually fallen to pieces and chunks came out of the door frame - which I have to repair and paint. And I'd just started on another urgent outdoor project - the swingseat is nearly falling to pieces. And I don't need to elaborate when I say - the dust, much and grime on the garage floor and surrounding area inside and out by the door is not welcome (never noticed it until now!) I couldn't reach the garage window for ventilation due to the table in front with all my painting things so I went round the back - a scene similar to Sleeping Beauty - brambles and ivy all over and a crumbling window and the ledge was mostly holes not wood. Then there's the car port which needs repainting. And the other week I had a locksmith put in a new lock on another door and he told me it was unrepairable - can hardly open. Still while they can just about open I've got to paint them too. See mango, lots to do and I'm wondering when I'm going to find time to mow the lawn and do all the indoor jobs. But my goodness, that garage is cluttered :evil: I couldn't keep up with all the jobs before because of caring for my son but now I can get on with it.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges