APRIL CLUTTER/TO DO LIST CHALLENGE 2008

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: APRIL CLUTTER CHALLENGE 2008

Post by Tituba »

I LOVE DECLUTTERING!
Hmmm.....do I hear a possible career change for you? I know a personal organizer who gets $100 an hour. You could easily start at $30 an hour and work your way up.

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

Hmmmm... Will let that simmer in the back of my brain for a bit. :D
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Tituba »

Not just doing work you might enjoy - but you can write off all sorts of stuff. Like: The organizing books you've purchased Your mileage A portion of your rent, utilities and even car insurance. Supplies Advertising Even your isp and website hosting costs Meals when you have a client appt To see if this is for you, volunteer to help a friend organize one of their rooms for free and see if it feels right (commit to four hours). If so, have that friend refer you to three people as a thank you. Then offer a free four hour decluttering session as a prize at a local raffle. Word of mouth referrals will get you off to a good start. You can get cheap business cards at http://www.overnightprints.com Can't you just feel the energy in this idea? It just may turn everything around for you.

kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by kashtanka »

Mango, I don't know what you do for a living but I bet you don't make $100 an hour! I think Tituba's idea is excellent. Another thing, I have heard of people who do declutter consulting. They have clients all over the world, and their consulting is done on the phone. I know because i once checked into it...the prices were too steep for me though. Today I put seven garbage bags out to the curb...I'm on a roll!

Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Unity »

Hi everyone, I wonder if these ideas will confuse mango - as she's setting up a business already? :D 7 garbage bags Kashtanka? I'm trying to organise my week so that I do one avoidance type activity a day. I'll decide on the day what it will be otherwise I can see even more procrastination looming if I know in advance. And things that are niggles, decide whether they really need doing or not.

NoPlaceLikeHome
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by NoPlaceLikeHome »

Love Peter Walsh's book It's All Too Much, and am recommending it to everyone. I somehow had convinced myself that because most of my stuff tends to be organized in neat little piles (or out of sight in drawers and closets), it really didn't count as clutter! My main problem is books, and I'm determined to have them all fit on my shelves before acquiring any more. I'm gonna do Peter proud! :) And I agree, great suggestion from Tituba.

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Tituba »

Went through my medicine cabinet and tossed everything expired.

kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by kashtanka »

I gave away five pairs of shoes and a large bag full of clothes that I really love but don't use that often. These items are things that I would normally keep no matter what. Now I'm done with my closet, after about 10 weeding-out episodes. All that is left are the things that I always wear.

Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Unity »

Strange and unexpected things happened since I changed my relationship corner (photo of smiling people and pink plant) people that have been avoiding me for weeks re home repairs suddenly ring up and arrange a date to fix it. Today I rang another person for a quote and was expecting the run around but they said they could come over straight away - and did the job there and then! Plus a friend came to talk to me about something and while they were round asked if there was something they could fix while they were round.:shock: I'm now feeling really positive about the rest of my (long) to-do list. And made some headway on some cleaning and other chores. Make the most of it while I can. I don't believe that it all happened just because of the photo - but it is nice to look at - happy people - as you know on the 150 thread I'm always talking about the people that use me to offload all their troubles on.

Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Unity »

Last night started on some paper sorting and cleaning using this unusual sponge which is called an eraser and it got some things cleaned that nothing could shift before. Doing some more papers today.

Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Unity »

More papers are getting the chop. Hole punching things to be filed.

Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Cha! »

Hi everyone ~ Just a quick check-in to say "way to go" everyone! I'm so happy for your progress! I have had a very busy week and haven't done any de-cluttering. This week will be equally as busy, so I probably won't get much done this week either. Today I plan to work outside (temps in the 70s! It's about time! :)). I'm also going to try to commit to handling 10 items per day - either get rid of it or put it where it belongs. I'll get back to hard-core cleaning in another week. Keep up the great work, everyone!

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

Tituba, that is an excellent idea, and I am definitely thinking about it as a potential income stream! Urs, I am the same way about procrastinating. I'm noticing lately that if I make a list of things to do, I feel major avoidance and rebellion. If, instead, I list the things that I do AFTER I do them, it goes smoothly. Weird. Kashtanka, you are doing so well!!! Welcome, NPLH! Cha, I'm so excited about your potential move. I hope to reply to your other thread. I moved 4 times in 5 years! OK to OR to CA to NY to NC. I might have some tips. Do you think your major decluttering progress has made some space in your head to plan your next adventure? I did accomplish a few things since my mini breakdown. (Long story in another thread). I found out that we're having a community yard sale on May 17th (I think). Nothing else besides really big items (two desks, for starters )is getting listed on Craigslist. I just created a corner in the exercise room for collecting stuff for the yard sale. In true Peter Walsh fashion, anything that doesn't sell is going to charity. I also have a large bin collecting stuff for charity that I don't want to try to sell at the yard sale. I went through a magazine, ripped out the pages that I was interested in, and recycled the rest. I plan to record what was interesting in a small notebook that I've started carrying with me everywhere. I'm going to do that with the rest of my Real Simple magazine collection, since no one seems interested on Craigslist. I decided against selling my Everyday Food magazines. I'm going to rip out the recipes I want to try and put them in photo albums and then recycle the rest. My husband and nephew picked up all of the debris from our yard work and got rid of it, and they used up all of the leftover grass seed by seeding the side lawn. I started a box of items for re-gifting, and another box for things that I still plan to try to sell on eBay. I cleaned up the cat area in the garage, and re-purposed my old vacuum cleaner and kitchen trash can to keep out there. Having the trash can there has made changing the litter boxes a breeze, so I hope to stop procrastinating about that. I re-purposed a fabric bin to hold the dog toys, and culled the ones that he doesn't play with anymore. I haven't been able to throw the toys away yet (strange, huh? Must be how people feel about their baby's clothes), but I will do it tomorrow. Tally ho!

-- Agnes de Mille

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

I'm not sure that this is decluttering, but I wanted to share it with supportive people. Today I made a list of daily, weekly, and monthly household tasks. I also condensed the cleaning instructions for everything into two pages and put them in a plastic folder that is on a clip stuck to the refrigerator. For the daily task list, I left a box for each day to be initialed. We shall soon see who is doing what around here! It is time for big, sweeping changes, and others will be involved whether they like it or not. The weekly and monthly tasks have a box to be initialed as well. My real motive isn't to lord it over my nephew and husband that I do almost everything, although that is true, and my husband's excuses vary from 1. I don't actually do everything, 2. I keep changing the cleaning supplies so he doesn't know what to use, 3. He's really busy, 4. The nephew should help more around the house... You get the idea. The real motive is actually to make this house into an organized and clean, comfortable environment where the work is shared by all who enjoy it. I just printed everything and showed it to the boys. Went over like a lead balloon, as they say. Actually, my husband didn't even look at it, and my nephew said 'we'll see how long this lasts.' :( Next... the cooking. :shock:

-- Agnes de Mille

Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: APRIL CLUTTER/TO-DO LIST CHALLENGE 2008

Post by Unity »

Hi Cha, Your 'handling 10 items' comment inspired me to handle 'a few' and it is a very good idea to keep on top of papers. You were all snowed under recently and now 70? Mango, that first post - like a mini whirlwind once you get going with that sorting. Second post - I think this is the right place to include your lists. Thread name changed as I'm also often writing about other things that are connected. I wonder if the men in your life are the types that don't tend to see what needs doing even if they are tripping over it?? What would happen if you stopped doing the cleaning, how long before anyone notices? I've greatly diminished my filing pile in my bedroom But heavy procrastination on an intended project in my son's room where I plan to use one of his empty shelves for my papercrafts things.