APRIL CLUTTER/TO DO LIST CHALLENGE 2008

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: APRIL CLUTTER/TO DO LIST CHALLENGE 2008

Post by mango »

Hi Urs, congrats on your filing! I sorted through a stack of paper, and re-did my master to do list. Also set up the printer (had to swap it out again because I can't get any of the other ones (!) to work with my laptop). Will be selling those at the yard sale. And I moved my Everyday Food magazines to the bedroom to be sorted. I hope to get more done tomorrow.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille

kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by kashtanka »

A friend dropped over tonight without warning and my house looked great! She helped herself to some things I didn't want anymore, which made the house even cleaner. I'm closing in...I can feel it! Tomorrow I plan to work on a couple of the boxes in the basement that I haven't gone through yet. I was telling my husband tonight that I have probably thrown out over 200 bags of unwanted stuff in the four years we have been here. There's not that much left to get rid of.

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

Nicely done, Kashtanka! I give up on plants. I like them, but I won't water them and they refuse to survive without water. :roll: I just tossed the rest of the plants on the porch. Going to start looking for cacti. Hey, this is the South! I can get away with it.

-- Agnes de Mille

Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Unity »

Kashtanka - just how big is that basement?? over 200 bags already? Mango - why do you have an aversion to watering if I can ask?

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

Urs, I'm lazy. There's no way to do it in one trip. So, I either have to go in and out of the house three or four times to refill the watering can, or I have to get the hose out of the garage and then put it away again. I'm okay with being lazy, it's just that I keep spending money on plants! It's on to the cactus family for me!

-- Agnes de Mille

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Tituba »

I killed an air plant once.

kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by kashtanka »

Hi Urs, The basement is the same size as my apartment. The majority of the stuff I threw out was from the apartment and not the basement. For example, I've gone through my closet several times, and each time threw away two or three bags. It adds up over four years. Some weeks I would throw as many as 10 bags out, and then some weeks none. Don't forget that at the same time I'm throwing stuff out, I'm buying new things.

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

Tituba, what is an air plant? I don't seem to be accomplishing much decluttering, although it's what I look forward to getting to all day. Must change my routine around and do it in the afternoon. I did give away a treasured teddy bear to a friend's little girl. I also cleaned out one of the hall closets. And I convinced my husband to get rid of the dog toys while I distracted the dog. :oops: I planned dinner tomorrow to use up some leftovers. And I'm about to get rid of some really old undergarments. :oops: Oh, and I convinced my husband to donate a coat to the VVA. That's all I've got.

-- Agnes de Mille

Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Unity »

I've just got time to make one reply - mango and the plants. I have a lot right by my front door and use a watering can which I refill round the back of the house. This too is a bind as it involves moving things from the entrance to the garage door. I've simplified things by always using my empty milk bottles just before I put them out on the doorstep to be collected - although it does involve a few trips but I find it easier. Do you have milkmen where you live?

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

We had milkmen in Canada when I was young, but I haven't seen any here (or there, for that matter) in 30 years or so. I got through 8 more Everyday Food magazines. Planning to tackle the laundry room (closet) in a few minutes. I ripped those plants out of the pots yesterday in a fury. There was dirt scattered everywhere and half-empty pots all over the porch. When I took the dog out this morning, it looked like we'd been robbed by a plant-stealing maniac. :P

-- Agnes de Mille

Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Unity »

Kathy, I'd love a basement to store things. There is a very small loft but I can't access it so have to rely on my son. He did make a remarkable discovery one time, a massive box which I don't remember ever seeing. I was stunned to find out it contained all my collection of international costume dolls from the time I was little. It's stll up there. Tituba, I've done that too with airplants. I think it's because my house is very dry, in fact the only plants ever have in the house are herbs on the windowsill as everything else dies easily. Mango - airplants - where I live they are usually mounted on driftwood or in shells. You just need to spray them occasionally with water, that's all. The one'd I had are green and a bit spidery looking. mango - have you taken a photo of your porch?

Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Cha! »

Hi everyone, I've been plugging along with my decluttering. I've had the feeling lately that I'm not being ruthless enough. All I know is that I'm so tired of looking around and seeing endless piles of stuff. The piles are getting smaller, to be sure, but it just never seems to ends. I really want to be ruthless, for lack of a better word. Mango, I would love to hear your suggestions for my move. I am currently cleaning out my parents' house for sale. I've been taking care of my mother for years - now she's in a nursing home. Kashtanka, I can relate to getting rid of a lot of stuff. My parents lived in this house for about 35 years together, Mom was here about 50 years total (after my dad died) and it was literally filled from top to bottom, side to side, front to back. I have filled four large dumpsters and then had monthly (smaller) dumpster service for four years. Granted, that does not take into account all of the "everyday" trash I got rid of, but I have donated and sold countless items. It just never seems to end. But I am bound and determined to end this ridiculous way of life. I'm sick of all the stuff and sick of spending so much time and money getting rid of it! Sorry for my tirade! I didn't mean to go on and on about this. My point is, Mango, my own life has been on hold for a long time and I'm very motivated to get back on track. Today I did work outside (beautiful day! - yes, it's true Unity that we had snow earlier this week and now it's in the 70s. That's what weather is like in Wisconsin!). I am going through my cds and books to sell the ones I no longer want. I also packed a bag of stuff to give to my sister. I also submitted my name for removal from some junk mail lists. My plans for the remainder of the week are to finish my cds and books, clean out my kitchen junk drawers and deal with more of my paper build-up. Have you noticed any changes around the house yet, Mango? Keep up the great work! :)

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

Cha, that must be quite overwhelming, for lack of a 'bigger' word. You are doing so well! And once it's done, you can head off to sunny New Mexico! I'm very excited for you. I will post some tips in your other discussion. Feeling really glum tonight, and not sure why. My husband is leaving for a week, maybe that's it. I went through 4 more magazines and then recycled them. I cleaned out and reorganized the laundry closet. I cleaned out and reorganized the hall closet. I cleaned out and organized the closet in the exercise room. I put a few things in the box for charity, and a few things in the 'sell pile'. I bought a few bins, etc. for organizing. I cleaned out the cupboard under the sink. I finally found something that will clean stainless steel, and tossed all the others. :D I mailed a book and a few eBay items.

-- Agnes de Mille

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

I think I will have an adventure and go to the plant place that I visited once before (if I can find it). Two plans: look for cacti, and find out what type of tree is blooming all over hell and creation.

-- Agnes de Mille

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

My decluttering goal for today: Start moving stuff downstairs to the 'sell pile' from upstairs where my nephew is going to stay (and pay $100 rent per month). :D

-- Agnes de Mille