APRIL CLUTTER/TO DO LIST CHALLENGE 2008

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: APRIL CLUTTER/TO DO LIST CHALLENGE 2008

Postby Unity » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:40 am

Hi everyone, I can see that you've all been busy again. I've got an overall aim for my house. For years I've been hearing stories like Cha's and I always thought that if I got ill (or worse) what people would find . So there are two goals -get all the papers/document/files etc up to date and write out a home list with all details of utilities/phone numbers/my accounts etc The other is to de-clutter, sort and organise as much as possible. Also label things of value. Today I wanted to find a home for bags of supplies that I used to keep in the bedroom and was going to a grab a shelf in my sons room under the one I already keep that sort of stuff. What I didn't realise is the shelf above (where I kept childrens artwork, things they made, school photos, old toys etc ALSO had items of my own pre-marriage. Jewellery, collectors items etc. I decided against dealing with them now just tidied it all up. I think that I'll have to get a lot of small plastic boxes for those things and label them. At this very moment, all my art supplies, spare envelopes, pens etc is all over my sons bed. So that's my current project. However, I've got an outside job that needs starting soon so I'll probably be working on the garage too as I found 'all sorts' that I never expected whilst trying to locate outside wood painting stuff. When I just spoke to my son on the phone about the garage he reminded me that my kitchen things from before Xmas (flooding) are still out there. Never ending job this de-cluttering lark!
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:04 pm

Urs, you sound like you're on a roll! I triumphed over the plants. I love to look at plants, I don't like to look after them, I don't like bugs, and I don't like when the plants grow out of control and I have to make some sort of a decision about them. I also don't want to have a cold, unfriendly looking porch, and the nicest porches seem to have lots of flowers. I went on an adventure to a spectacular plant nursery to find some cacti and the name of a tree that I love that's in bloom everywhere (dogwood!). After I browsed at their huge selection, I wandered into the home and garden area. And then I had an epiphany. I don't want cacti. I want plants. FAKE PLANTS. That's right. The secret is to buy the expensive fake plants (I spent $75). Then I came home and put them in the pots full of soil that I already had from all of the other disasters. My porch looks beautiful, and they require zero maintenance. I will have to take a picture. It sounds bizarre, but this is such a mental decluttering! Every day I would walk in or out the front door and think 'oh, God! I have to do something about those plants!'. I'm thrilled.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:58 am

Hi mango, I'm so pleased for you. I bet your porch looks lovely. I'll confess here. But in my greenhouse which is near my front door, I've put in fake plants 8) Reason is I've got some pink regal pelargoniums which were overwintering and blooming for a long time. I loved them but when they stopped I missed them so bought some fake ones at what would be the equivalent of your dollar stores (are there any?) The shop near me has some very good quality items. I think they look really good. (perhaps I'm the only one that thinks this :D ) Even in my bedroom I've got a pair of fake ivies that grow up a sort of triangle shaped thing and they look very realistic. I started sorting before breakfast. Moved dolls houses and some books back to my bedroom just to see what I feel. And dealt with some other things. Also got one of my bedroom drawers in the other room where I'm sorting stationery items which I kept in my room to make things easy - drawers got jammed with stuff. Last night I was thinking that I can't bear to do this sort of de-cluttering as this one is very time consuming and there is so much. Hundreds of gel pens for a start which I need to test. I think that if it wasn't for the fact that I no longer have any income, I'd bin the lot. :evil:
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:47 am

Urs, how will you get by without any income? Re: the gel pens: pretend you are testing them to bundle them together for a yard sale or sell them online. Or pretend that you REALLY need the gel pens for a project, go out and price the same number of new pens, and then sort through the ones you have, reminding yourself how much money you are saving. Or decide that you are going to re-gift them to someone who would really need them or use them. Some of those strategies work for me. Yesterday was a monstrously busy day. The nephew and I started moving a few things downstairs to the 'sell pile' for the yard sale next month, and, next thing you know, we have decided to move EVERYTHING downstairs, vacuum and steam clean the carpet, and then move all of the furniture in his room upstairs. As he is going to start paying a tiny amount of rent, and the room upstairs is MUCH larger than the old room, he was very motivated. One distressing thing is to see his half-assed work ethic. He steam cleaned the carpet, but he left two dirty areas because the container on the machine was full (and I guess he didn't want to empty and refill it). I went out last night and bought him two of those hanging rods because there isn't a closet up there. The closet in his old room is still stuffed full of junk and clothes today, there are assorted bits of things on the floor, empty beer cans, a half-full glass of water on a wood table (ack), the desk is still covered in stuff, and one of the drawers is still full. But his XBox is up and running and his television is set up. :evil: I want that entire old room and closet for storage now (and I mean NOW), and I will have to nag him or do it myself in order to get it finished. Of course, I am motivated by the fact that everything that was upstairs is now in the living room, dining room, and exercise room and there is only a small path for getting around. :roll: Why won't people finish what they start? I have worked very hard at developing this trait lately, and it drives me nuts to watch other people leave things half-done. Or they do the job and leave everything out that they used to do the job. Is it terrible that I'm annoyed that he is using some of the furniture that I want to sell at the yard sale? He has a large coffee table with 6 wicker baskets, a desk and chair, the DVD player... Any ideas on what to do? He is planning to go back home at the end of the year, so I doubt he really wants to buy any furniture of his own. Everything he takes back will have to fit in his car. Sorry for the rant! So, I have my decluttering work cut out for me, and no way to put it out of my mind as I am literally tripping over it. :D I also returned two t-shirts that were too small that I bought at Walmart and used the money to buy the hanging rods. Yes, my underlying purpose was to get him to move his %$@#*% clothes. Surely that doesn't make me a bad person? :oops:

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:59 am

Hi everyone, is it the Spring weather or what but it's action stations for everyone it seems. Even more pens than I anticipated - at least 50 ordinary biros too let alone fancy ones on top of the gel pens. Loads of glues. I was throwing a lot of packaging away. Sorted one shelf so far (the things I went through yesterday) plus art books and shock horror about 15 watercolour/drawing pads. Felt positive until I discovered a plastic bag of stuff I'd forgotten about :evil: as it's all card/more drawing pads/envelopes - all things that I'd already sorted and found folders to store (now too small). It's looking an endless job again. There is still a whole bed strewn and extra things on a table. At least it will be lovely when finished. Easy to find things - I hope. Mango, that must have been a massive job. I can empathise with the attempt by the nephew I've been the receiver of that sort of input too. Can get frustrating. Are you worn out? You lucky thing - acquiring a whole room for storage and for clothes. Income - fortunately I'm always very positve about money and think I'm move my waste bin out of the financial corner see if it makes a difference :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:50 am

Urs, if you move your waste bin, I'll move the dog toys. We can run a little experiment. :D One thing I've found helpful with sorting through piles of stuff is reclaiming what I didn't remember I had (and will definitely use) and collecting it all in one place. For instance, all of my envelopes and writing pads and thank you cards, etc. are now in one place. At the same time, I have been brutally honest with the things I have that I know I won't use again, or duplicates, or excesses, and those go straight into the sell pile or charity box. I didn't want to tackle the decluttering yesterday with the nephew here, but he's at work today and I am itching to get started! I will collect all of his little odds and ends in a box and put it in his new room. Also, move his clothes. He may think it's rude and pushy, but it will be done and I won't have to think about it any more. Then a thorough vacuuming and steam cleaning, and I'll start moving stuff in there. Stuff we're keeping in the closet and on one side of the room, and the sell pile on the other (separated into eBay/Craigslist and the yard sale). Went through more Everyday Food magazines yesterday. Tearing out the really tasty looking recipes and recycling the rest. I will have a nice recipe collection when I'm finished. :D PS: Urs, what's a biro?

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:13 am

mango, I wonder if your recipe collection will be like my xstitch folder - never opened :D biro - ordinary plastic pen (see through so you see the ink) Still soldiering on with the paper supplies - can't believe there is so much stuff, but apart from the 1 shelf which was untidy, I also had bags of the stuff behind the armchair in my bedroom plus a few drawers in my room. Now hopefully most of it will be in one place. Had a panic last few days as I'd lost my dollshouse accessories. Found them just now in the last place I'd imagined. Last night I did some normal chores in the tv intervals as they had been ignored with this de-cluttering. Also getting ready for some outside painting when this is finished. But, oh boy, did I have a shock in the garage. Not that long ago it was tidy but whenever my son comes home, unpacks his many bikes and paraphenelia, then leaves - it becomes unrecognisable :cry: mango, it will be nice for you when that room is done. You will hopefully get a lot of satisfaction to put everything away. How's Kathy and Cha?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:16 am

I just finished that project. Now the rest of the room :shock: I reckon it will take days again. I'm really going to have to do something about clutter. It's driving me nuts all this work. OK ladies - clutter that becomes a full time job in itself? There ought to be a law against it!
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:47 am

I'd take that job! Well done for finishing your project, Urs. So far, I've emptied out the little hall closet that we don't use, vacuumed all of the nooks and crannies, and moved all of the nephew's stuff in there! It's beautiful. He won't know what hit him, but I think he will be happy because it will be easy to find things. I put his bedside table, laundry basket, and box full of odds and ends beside the door to his room for him to schlep up the stairs (plus, I didn't want to invade his privacy). So, the room and closet are completely empty, the blinds are open, and it's waiting to be vacuumed and steam cleaned. I love my new vacuum and steam cleaner. :D And here's the wonderful thing. I don't EVER need to go upstairs for ANYTHING. That means that I don't have to see what a slob he is EVER AGAIN (got glimpses of his old room regularly because it was right beside the closet with the washer/dryer and cleaning supplies). :D :D :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:38 am

Well done mango, so you don't mind doing cluttering fulltime? Perhaps it's easier in someone else's home. Not going upstairs - is your bedroom downstairs then? Since my last post I carried on and blitzed through more stuff. The part I don't like is when you're left with bits and pieces that you have to find a home for. Then I've got more of the room to sort (groan). This work is all the result of me moving all the things out of my bedroom. I did put some things back and they are on a sort of trial basis. I did have a sort of :idea: about my dressing table - what I've got there isn't very 'me' even a bit cold looking so I might dramatically change things. You know where you put things that reflect who you are and what you like.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:24 pm

Yes, it is WAY easier (for me) with someone else's stuff. :D I vacuumed and steam cleaned the carpet, and cleaned the windows. Did you know that if you wipe the window with a coffee filter after you clean it, it won't leave any streaks? Then I went nuts with the steam cleaner and vacuumed and cleaned 2 of the 4 rugs in the living room plus the hallway in front of the laundry closet. I set things up to vacuum the blinds in the empty room tomorrow, as well as steam clean another (bigger) rug from the living room. Plus, I put the tool box in there (so I can get the picture hangers out of the wall). So, after those tasks, I move onto sorting and piling. :shock: The nephew has walked past the pile of things RIGHT BESIDE HIS DOOR AND PARTIALLY BLOCKING THE HALLWAY at least 10 times since he got home, and he hasn't taken anything upstairs yet. If he doesn't do it between now and when he leaves for work in the morning, I'm doing it myself. :bash: He has a pile of blankets in the living room that are going up there too. And I'm getting the empty boxes from the crawl space to fill for the charity pick-up. So there. :P

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:58 pm

The nephew has walked past the pile of things RIGHT BESIDE HIS DOOR AND PARTIALLY BLOCKING THE HALLWAY at least 10 times since he got home, and he hasn't taken anything upstairs yet. If he doesn't do it between now and when he leaves for work in the morning, I'm doing it myself
Or, you could tell him that he doesn't get another meal until he brings it upstairs. Otherwise, you will always be the one doing all the work.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:57 pm

Good point, Tituba. Is it possible that he doesn't know that I want him to take it upstairs? Boys in their 20's are so dense sometimes. I guess I should actually ask him. Got through four more Everyday Food magazines, and found a recipe to use up the rest of the cabbage! Yippee!

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:02 am

How is everyone doing? It's almost time for a new month! I moved the pile of stuff upstairs to the nephew's room. :roll: He doesn't have much storage space up there, so I will put all of his blankets, etc. in a big (really big!) zip lock bag and put it in the crawl space. I'm a little scared to get those boxes that I want for the charity stuff out of the crawl space, but I will arm myself with the vacuum cleaner. Deep breaths.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:21 am

Folded all of the blankets, put them in bags, and put them in the crawl space. Got the boxes out of the crawl space and vacuumed them out (the spiders here are poisonous). Saw a woodpecker and three squirrels on the bank in my back yard! Having a hard day today, a panic attack I think. :(

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges